Share your crochet!

I just saw this on the internet! Wow! It must have taken a tonne of work.

3 Likes

It surely has! And for what, one wonders? Just to take a picture that people will marvel at and wonder at her patience?
But well, it’s her time, her yarn, if she got a kick out of it, who am I to judge?

2 Likes

ok here ya go, in a nutshell

1 Like

wonder if its that lady with the kitty cat, I showed that one some months ago, July, and I don’t think its the same lady

Could this be AI generated? It seems a bit off.

2 Likes

So pretty and neatly done. I want to learn crochet so bad. What’s a nice design for a first timer?

2 Likes
  1. Buy an aluminum crochet without a handle, unless you have arthritis. Those with a rubber grip/handle have too short a shaft, and all the bulk hinders your work.
  2. First learn the basic stitches, which are single crochet (double crochet in the UK), double crochet (treble in the UK) and chain. You have to make a few items with just that, to get the motion going, regularity of stitches and some speed.
    Here is how to make a chain, with proper crochet holding technique, that does not tire the hands, does not put unnecessary tension on fingers or wrists, and gives you the basics for lightning speed one day:
    https://youtu.be/z7LNIX5J6LU?si=6QqHIdjOlwuFTQFb
    and this:
    https://youtu.be/OCgXAdytUuk?si=sRBvIpVbCvNipFKH
    If you go to YouTube, you will see that most English-language tutorials hold their hook as a knife, instead of as a pencil. Europeans and Latin Americans and most Russians hold it like a pencil, as in the videos above. You need dexterity not force. We hold the knife like this because we need strength to cut meat or vegetables. But we need fine control of small movements when we write, and that’s why we hold the pencil as we do, and don’t grab it like a knife. You will also see some people crocheting while holding their left index finger up in the air. This is very bad for the hands, it may bring problems later. Why tire oneself? Hands should be relaxed.
    Some of them hold the hook with the hook part pointing up. This is absurd. The hook should always be turned downwards.
    hook

Anyway, you can learn stitches from whichever video, no matter how they hold their yarn and hook, that’s not a problem. Just ignore that part.
Usually people make potholders or washcloths at this stage.

Then you learn to work in the round, and the most classic thing to learn is the so-called granny square.

And it’s a good idea to learn how to read charts, which give you a visual clue of what you have to do. You just have to learn which symbol is for each stitch, and then charts will be your best friend.
This is how a granny square looks in a chart. Compared to word description, comprehension is more immediate. Especially if each row has a different colour, as in the following chart.

I promise you, when you master those three basic stitches, everything else is child’s play, and you can make literally everything.

4 Likes

Things I often teach others to do first if they don’t know what to do, is a simple keychain. It includes most basic stitches and is quick to finish so it gives everyone a bit of a success feeling rather quickly and motivates them.

3 Likes

good old-fashioned “granny square”, or the worry worms( find on Pinterest,and ■■■■■■■■ “an act of crochet kindness” these are very easy to do) oops FaceB the worry worms have a little card to go with them, AND per juliasreise, can be made into key chains, 15 minutes the max.

irmar love the design!!! and yes very easy to do!

1 Like

2 Likes

Wow! Thank you for taking time to reply to my comments. I really appreciate and take note of this.

3 Likes

thought this may be of intrest to the crocheters ere

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

there are other cute patterns on here as well

3 Likes