Share your favourite books :)

I think this is a great idea!

Thanks to @piranna and @mirjam_465 :sunflower:

Recently Netflix shows a series that is based on the book of one of my fav authors (long time ago). It is so nice to see that her book is not forgotten yet (when I saw the trailer I immediately thought about the book and I may read it again).

Tonke Dragt:

• De brief voor de koning
  • Geheimen van het Wilde Woud

The Wilde Woud was one of the books I read more than one time and seeing it as a show would be great (they made a show of Letter for the King)

4 Likes

Oh, Tonke Dragt! One of our elementary school teachers used to read her book Verhalen van de tweelingbroers out to us. And we read her series De blauwe maan, also in elementary school.
Her book De zevensprong was made into a tv-series, which I watched as a child.

I’m unsure about the exact number of books I read from her. There were a couple but I can’t remember all titles :slight_smile:

Do you also know Michael Ende’s books?

1 Like

Oh, he’s from The Never Ending Story, right?

I saw the movie, but I never actually read the book. If I remember well one of my classmates in elementary school was reading it at the time.

2 Likes

I don’t know this author! I’m going to look for her books :grinning:

It’s a really hard question, I don’t know what my favorites are. It’s like what your favorite dramas are. Too many choices and we discover or watch something new all the time!

1 Like

The old version is nice but the newer one (maybe remake or fake sequel from the USA was not nice, the atmosphere wasn’t there later, that is also a reason why I’m unsure if I give the Tonke Dragt series on Netflix a try or not. Usually the movie/show is bad when I like the book and other way around too. It is rare, that I like both versions: book and movie/series).

Momo is also good, with movie and book and Astrid Lindgren’s books and series.

That’s true. For me it is something I keep in mind ‘forever’ no matter how long ago something is. So I could like something at a certain point but then I’m interested in something else but few things are like evergreens.

Paulo Coelho is also an evergreen author :slight_smile:

(some modern authors aren’t because it can happen that I read a really great scifi thriller and then I read a new novel from the same author and suddenly it is terrible… I guess for me a ‘good’ author must be able to write several books on the same level even when the topic is of course different and the stories/characters change too).

Don’t you two read books/stories that stick in your mind for long? Longer than for a moment of a certain mood/interest?

3 Likes

Yes, to name a few:

In The Country Of The Young - Lisa Carey (German title: Das Land hinter dem Mer, French title: La petite fille fantôme)

Losing Gemma - Katy Gardner (German title: Die fremde Freundin, French title: Comment j’ai perdu mon amie)

Lost Souls - Poppy Z. Brite (German title: Verlorene Seelen, French title: Âmes perdues)

2 Likes

omg!!! that’s my childhood movie literally

1 Like

The books I read last year:

Artificial Intelligence For Dummies - John Paul Mueller & Luca Massaron

How Not to Kill Yourself: A Survival Guide for Imaginative Pessimists - Set Sytes & Faith G. Harper

Maar je ziet er helemaal niet autistisch uit - Bianca Toeps

Zout op mijn huid - Benoîte Groult ( Les Vaisseaux du cœur)

Will You Be There? - Guillaume Musso ( Seras-tu là?)

The White Book - Han Kang

Dolores Dolly Poppedijn - Thomas Olde Heuvelt

Our Happy Time - Ji-Young Gong

Please Look After Mom - Kyung-Sook Shin

Star of the North - D.B. John

1 Like

Hmmm… It’s difficult to say what my favorite books are because I’ve read so many lol, but I really loved Agatha Christie’s books. I remember them being super suspenseful and unpredictable–they were no doubt the best mystery books I had ever read :slightly_smiling_face:. These are some of my favorites:

Murder on the Orient Express
And Then There Were None
Death on the Nile
The Murder of Roger Ackroyd
Crooked House (also has a movie adaptation which is just as good)

3 Likes

I used to read a lot of her books too. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Not sure about favorites but a good one is A Murder of Crows. It was turned into a movie that I also liked:

1 Like

I’m illiterate, I was told, so I don’t know how to read, but if I did, I would say my favourite book is Yann Martel’ Life of Pi. I’ll send you a copy. Just please read it.

Life_of_Pi_cover

3 Likes

I saw the movie.

1 Like

Steven King :
Shining, Es, The Stand, She (Misery), Brennen muß Salem, Cujo, the green Mile,
Richard Bachmann alias Steven King : der Todesmarsch…
I think that was more, but it’s been so long, I’m not sure anymore…
How should it be otherwise
The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings (3 books)
And as specially :laughing: Harry Potter al books
And between the years dime novels :grin:

I haven’t touched a book since 2004, but why don’t I know :woman_shrugging:

5 Likes

Carrie, perhaps? The Eyes Of The Dragon? Pet Semetary? (Yes, that’s correctly written the wrong way :wink: ), Firestarter?

Carrie was the first one I read and I think it was even the first one he wrote. Of Pet Semetary I saw the movie at a classmate’s birthday party. It was rated for 16+, but I was the only one who was actually 16 at the time, the rest was 14 or 15. The classmate lived in a one-flour house, so there were lots of rooms and doors. Haha, after the movie when someone had to go to the toilet one of the others had to stand guard at the toilet door, cause the house suddenly seemed so spooky! :rofl:

2 Likes

I can understand that well…
ES
I’ve seen clowns everywhere…
How can you write like that, please ??
It’s literally insane, But positive
Edger Allen Poe… Berenice… As well…To fear😆

2 Likes

Have you ever tried Poppy Z Brite? Especially her older works, later she got less scary, haha.

1 Like

Is noted, I will google afterwards :laughing::grin:

1 Like

I Googled,
no, he doesn’t seem Known to me…
Unfortunately, no books by him seem Known to me…The books "sound!!! interesting😆 is this the right word??? Sound
Sie klingen interessant, die Bücher :thinking::laughing: Difficult