Share your favourite books :)

Actually, it’s a she. :slight_smile:

Sounds like something we would say: “Dat klinkt interessant.” And yes, in English you can also say that something sounds interesting. Even though books don’t “sound”, haha. Unless it’s an audiobook … :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Did I googled wrong? Poppy Z Brite alias Billy Martin?
Poppy Z. Brite is the name under which the American writer Billy Martin (born May 25, 1967 as Melissa Ann Brite in New Orleans, Louisiana):face_with_monocle::nerd_face: we have found it, she is now a he :grinning:

1 Like

This is odd. I’m now reading on Wikipedia it’s a he, but back when I was reading her books, I’m positive she was a woman! I’m confused now, haha. :rofl:

Ah, wait, this might clarify things: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poppy_Z._Brite#Personal_life

Guess, back in the days “he” actually was a “she”…

afbeelding afbeelding

1 Like

In the past, I was always sure that I knew who a man and woman were after a conversion. But nowadays, they are so far in medicine that they no longer notice. Great :blush:
For all, To anticipate it :blush:
We’re not laughing at gender reassignment, but at our confusion… It was just a coincidence :blush:

@mirjam_465
lost souls, seems to be very nice :grin:
Did you read that? Or better, you can still remember it, It’s been a while :grin:

1 Like

Hunger by Knut Hamsun
it is at least 30 years since I last read it and this thread reminded me of what book I would like to read again, if it has another effect on me now.
Since there are so many people hungry now and the urban gardening projects pop up here and there.

Other authors that impressed me on the way Max Frisch and Margret Atwood, there are others but at the moments these are the names coming to my mind.

1 Like

Yes, I read “Lost Souls” (“Dolende Zielen” in Dutch). It’s indeed a long time ago, but it’s great.

Indeed. Absolutely nothing against it, we just hadn’t seen it coming in this case.

1 Like

Oh, we had to read it for Nordic Languages studies! Quite a long time ago …

1 Like

I have read “Groth of the soil” in my teens, there was no teacher telling me, I wasn’t studying the language … I was just very interested in Norway, …

My favorite author in my early teens was Berte Bratt, LOL, I was looking at her info and it said she was born in Norway came to Germany in the 50’s and stayed here. I guess she planted the seed for my interest in her home country, but how funny she moved to mine. I never would have guessed it, since online searches in my teens just weren’t an option.

3 Likes

mine is murder mysteries, like agatha christie ones, the cozy mysteries thats around now,
some has the
quilting and crochjeting and a murder comes up,
so they solve it!
a baking shop from cookies and cakes and someone is dead and who did it,one of them is in love with a detective and the antics this lady gets into is really quite funny
also fashion is in the mix, oh and horticulture, and my fave is genealogy,
these people gather, and theres a murder in the midst. some can be boring but others sit on the edge of your seat kind!
and of course first and foremost on the list is the Bible, can you believe sci fi stuff?

5 Likes

P. S.
I love you :pleading_face:

Such a book doesn’t really suit me,
But a friend said that you absolutely have to read.It’s so nice, she said…
I wrinkled my nose, The title alone, I thought :unamused::woozy_face: It’s not really mine… And started reading…
Shit, it hurt…
I’ve never cried so much when reading a book
:cry: That was cruel

2 Likes

Snømannen by Jo Nesbø

1 Like

I only read the synopsis… and I felt tears coming out. It must’ve been really sad.

2 Likes

And how…
I never thought I would feel that way, I thought it was a romance, with love here and love there, But that hit me hard and hurt a lot…
I wasn’t prepared for it :pensive:
If I read a book and tie myself up and just take it with me on this trip, it’s a very, very good book… :slight_smile:

Stephen King can do that too :grin:

2 Likes

I’ll consider reading it.

1 Like

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton
To Try Men’s Souls by Newt Gingrich and William R. Forstchen
The Giver by Lois Lowry
Fire Bringer by David Clement-Davies
Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers
The Silver Chair by C.S. Lewis (The Chronicles of Narnia)

1 Like

I love Frankenstein too! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

I like to read The Maximum Ride serie, you should read it it’s from James Patterson.

1 Like

I just remembered this book I’d read a few years back, Forest of a Thousand Lanterns. It’s a dark story about the rise of a peasant girl to the rank of an empress showing the struggles of a woman in a society ruled by men. Very well-written and different in how the protagonist also kind of is the villain? in the story

Emily May’s review is good and should be spoiler-free.

2 Likes

My favorite book is ‘’ The Outsider’’ by Stephen King, God how I love that book I read it again although you can already see it on TV ( •̀ ω •́ )✧

2 Likes

Growing up it was Jane Eyre - read it so many times and now I realize, I am attracted to those Gothic novels…

I read Game of Thrones series ahead of the show - it stayed true to the book at the beginning.

Where the Heart is by Billie Letts…

I have started reading the Outlander series (there is a TV show after the books) but school,work, life and K dramas got in the way :sweat_smile: so I’ll need to resume…

3 Likes