Slangs, loan words, reinvented words, etc

Recently, in another thread, I mentioned the fact that 대포폰 (dae-po-pon), a reinvented word combining Korean word 대포 which means “cannon” and the English word “phone”, had been erroneously translated as “cannon phone” throughout a series. Although 대포 (cannon) + 폰 (phone) may result in “cannon phone”, it actually means “burner phone”. Unfortunately, it seems that the translation softwares have not been updated to include the correct meaning.

I am sure there are many such examples in other languages as well. Perhaps we can share some of them here.

11 Likes

You don’t know how happy I am you made this topic, and I just hope more people come by and add other words to this so productive information because we all can learn so much from this information. I love that so much from you, the way you share your knowledge with others.

I had so many words in mind I’ve heard in Korean and Chinese dramas, and my mind is completely blank right now. As soon as I come across them, I’ll come by and share them here, too. You are an amazing woman! Thanks.

PS. On GT they have an option that we can add another suggested word you/we know, instead of the one they posted, so I’m going to see if they change cannon since that’s the only option they have in there. I will as feedback suggest burner phone this time. In the past, I suggested other Spanish words, and they have added/included them.
I did it. In order for them to add your suggestion you have to vote down to the word they suggested and write in your suggestion. In a few days, you can see the suggested word by you as second translation since they always keep their original word first.

5 Likes

You’re very welcome. Actually, I created this thread at your request.:wink:

4 Likes

I have a question and sorry to be such a pain I don’t know how to write the word in English but it sounds as CHIN-Gu. In the drama A Business Proposal they saying MY BOYFRIEND and I thought Chingu meant a friend. Can you help me here? Is it really boyfriend?

1 Like

친구 (chin-goo) is a generic term for “friend” and 남자 친구 (nam-ja-chin-goo) means “boyfriend”.

4 Likes

Thank you so much! I thought when the girl said nam-ja she was saying [this is…] what a relief that was driving me nuts, and now I can watch the drama in peace since they mention that a lot. Hope u watch it, it’s a great romantic drama (although same never ending story plot), but the couples in the drama Main/Second M/F leads, are so awesome in their role.

2 Likes

@choitrio

Episode 13 Cunning Single Lady: The male lead says in good English he has [PLASTIC FLOWER] than he says in Korean (don’t know how to write it) what sounds to me like this: Sam-sam pion! They write love sickness for sam-sam-pion. But he keeps saying plastic flower throughout as telling her he’s crazy in love with her. That’s another great drama in case you haven’t watched it yet.

I found the word in Korean and is…salangbyeong (it sounds samsam-pion to my ears)

Did my homework and gave it thumbs down bc it said love disease

And Now I Changed it to love sickness which sounds better than love disease. They say Thank you for your contribution! After a few weeks if word is approved it stays there, too.

2 Likes

I think I watched “Cunning Single Lady” some time ago and I remember liking it. I am not sure about the “plastic flower” but the Korean word you heard probably is 상사병 (sang-sa-byeong) which means “lovesickness”.

3 Likes

You saw the word I wrote that GT gives? My spell check says it’s wrong
[salangbyeong], but I checked and it says it means lovesick too.

I’m going to add in my notes your word: 상사병 (sang-sa-byeong) but not salangbyeong until i get confirmation is a Korean word but so far wordreference says

salangbyeong

wordreference.com has no translation for that word.

No translation for ‘salangbyeong’ could be found in this dictionary.

Did you want to translate ‘salangbyeong’ from English?

Forum discussions with the word(s) “salangbyeong” in the title:

No titles with the word(s) “salangbyeong”.

Google translate has the word, but it says the word “salangbyeong” is from another country, too.

See Google Translate’s machine translation of salangbyeong.

I didn’t know this. Very impressive! Great stuff @angelight313_168 :grinning:

3 Likes

@manganese

If you see the screenshot it says on bottom right side:

Your contribution will be used to improve translation without identifying you to other sources.

Basically, all you get is a Thank You from them, but I’m happy for that since my main purpose is to help improve the Goggle translation tool that is highly used, so when ‘‘users’’ go to GT we can at least get a decent translation in them, and not a wrong translation that can turn off the viewer from watching a drama with incorrect translations in them.

I worked a lot with them with Spanish sentence and single word translation (when doing that you must sign in) so they are aware who you are, and if your information/translation is credible or satisfactory enough for them to use. Within a month you check and see if your suggestion was added in GT. It’s a good feeling when they approve your ‘‘suggested’’ word.

1 Like

Hi @angelight313_168

I’ve noticed the “Contribute” option before but I had no idea what it was used for. Thank you! I appreciate your explanation.

Best regards,
Mn

1 Like

사랑 by itself means “love” and 병 means “sickness” but it is 상사병 which means “lovesickness”.

3 Likes

:crazy_face::sweat_smile::grimacing::roll_eyes::joy::rofl:

2 Likes

@adrianmorales

The best thing Google translate has is the little speaker thingy, that in different language tells you how to pronounce the words. It’s a great tool to learn how to properly say the words in any specific language.

I use it a lot ONLY after I’m sure the word is spelled correctly.

2 Likes

That’s because you’re a dedicated and intelligent person… Far too intelligent for a place where insane things like “cannon phone” are acceptable.

1 Like

Thank you so much for the compliment! My Lupus disease has robbed so much from me…:worried:

Believe it or not, those are the places where I like to be, the places where I can make a difference.

The worst source of any given translation is: BING. I put them as #1 as useless.

2 Likes

Some people fix things with their tools. Others, like you, with their heart. :heart:

I hope you’re following a good treatment. Please take care, dear friend. :hugs:

1 Like

@adrianmorales

I’m getting a stronger treatment now, and they are doing a lot of test, but it takes a while before ‘‘I’’ can see whether it will work or not. The First one didn’t helped much, so my Oncologist pleaded with my Healthcare to approve the second one, which is very expensive, and I was lucky enough it was approved. It does get my blood pressure too high 167 and even 183 (a side effect) but they manage to bring it down, and my Oncologist says: ‘‘the benefit outweighs the risk.’’ (quote/unquote) Pray for me my friend…:hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs:

@ Choitrio I was looking into a source that mentioned Konglish words and Loanwords.

I can’t see the difference between both, and I will appreciate if you know about the subject to explain to me what is it that I don’t see. i even dropped reading more on it bc it was confusing me more. When it comes to Korean learning I want to make sure I don’t confuse myself with too much information.

Whenever you have the time is all good. Thanks in advance.

PS. If you can add an example, I would really appreciate that…:partying_face:

3 Likes

Konglish is Korean-style English whereas loan words are words adopted from foreign language (English or otherwise) with little or no modification. You might find this interesting.

2 Likes