Squid Game - Love it or hate it?

It’s generating a lot of buzz, which can only be a good thing for the future of Kdrama and Korean cinematography in general.

9 Likes

Well, just watched it, think it was kinda mediocre, maybe even slightly lame. Can se the comparrison to Hunger Games. I don’t hate it nor do I love it, it’s just meh. I hoped it would have been more full of gore and more brutal. Also the main character immunity was obvious from episode 1 and the outcome predictable. The story was however good. I also liked the political issues, such as the gender discourse or the wealth-gap etc, it lifts up. The ending was for me dissapointing.

4 Likes

I knew you wouldn’t like it that much bc it does have so many flaws. The ending was very disappointing for me too, and the hair color at the end? got on my last nerve (and my daughter too) bc we see no purpose in him doing that. He looked awful. lol

3 Likes

I actually saw somewhere there’s a meaning behind his new hair color. The color red represents the game staff members who are in control over the players, and it is also the color of Ddakji that Gong Yoo used to win. So his new red hair color is supposed to represent that he will be the ultimate winner or something like that. But who knows what the writer/director was really thinking!

4 Likes

@ajumma2

It makes a lot of sense now since we didn’t connect that hair color to what I also believe is part of the part 2 scheme ‘‘coming soon’’ according to what I read in an article. They are supposedly filming part 2 already.

1 Like

I didn’t react to the hair color that much. Probably because it’s what to expect from a ‘Korean’. Where I’m from men don’t tend to do makeup and women don’t do that much beyond what would be obviously noticable. In essence, you don’t ‘brag’, while in Korea it seem the opposite, if you have money, you buy expensive cloth, cars, hairstyles etc. So it’s became normal whatsing kdrama. However, what I do tend to notice is how ‘slime-y’ the hair is, that is it reflecta light from all the gel/vax used, and was happy it wasn’t. :smiley:

The decision he made was more the thing at the end that made it go on my nerves, so cliche and predictable.

2 Likes

mattlock
The decision he made was more the thing at the end that made it go on my nerves, so cliche and predictable

.My daughter and I didn’t expect that at all. But my daughter is the first time she watched a Korean drama and I believe will be the last one she will ever watch bc she didn’t find what’s all the hype about it. I didn’t feel he had the guts, so it was unpredictable to me; for him to do that.

If anything, in my opinion he’s going to his death sentence bc the old man kept him alive, and he doesn’t have the ‘‘savior’’ around anymore. I wished he at least had seen his daughter, and give her the gift ‘’(part of his millions)’’ first, and make the decision to fight them afterwards.

1 Like

Dalgona-Hype … LOL

2 Likes

The move felt a bit Katniss Everdeen before, was it the 75th games. Felt like I had seen that move before.

1 Like

I honestly haven’t seen before any Asian/American games dramas/movies, and just recently saw 3 in a row. ‘‘I can say they are not my cup of tea.’’ I do skip some parts and walk away when the scene is too strong for my stomach/nerves. I can say I see parts, but not ‘‘completely.’’

Hunger Games-US
Alice in Borderland- JAPAN
Squid Game- South Korea

I doubt China will follow suit and make one.

1 Like

That’s too bad that Squid Game was your daughter’s first Korean drama. There are so many other great ones that she may have enjoyed more.

8 Likes

I always tried to convince her to watch dramas but she would look once, and said ‘‘not watching.’’.

She only agreed to watch Squid Game bc I practically begged her to watch with me so that we could share opinions, and she got curious bc it was all over as #1 here in US (yesterday I saw on the TV news it still #1 here).

I liked how the Director/Producer of Squid Game said: it’s so hard to find in Korea, foreigners that can speak good English. lol

PS. We both (my daughter and I) agreed on keeping the thumbs down in our rating.

1 Like

Personally, I like this genre of movies. The first one I watched was Battle Royale.
I’ve watched Alice in Borderland which is different from Squid Game. In Alice, there is always a way for everyone to win.

I also loved Hunger Games and The Purge. So of course I loved Squid Game. But I must say that the ending was very disappointing.

I don’t understand why he wants to come back. How can he think he can change things when he barely survived? :thinking:

Summary
  • I don’t think there are only 4 VIPs. I think there are more of them.
  • They couldn’t tell us the story of the Front Man since he was supposed to be the big revelation. I hope we will know more about him in season 2.
  • I don’t think his brother is dead. I’m sure the actor :heart: will be in season 2.
  • The people chosen are not really ordinary people. They have problems and seem to lead a dangerous life. They are unreliable people (like the ML) or criminals. That’s why I think they may not have a family or real friends who will contact the police.

If you like this genre, you can also watch The Platform or Circle (on NF).

4 Likes

@mas4

I did see CIRCLE didn’t like that one either, and some scenes were so funny I was cracking up, although the ppl. were dying…

I really don’t want to see anymore movies/dramas like those one bc in the end, even the winner becomes the biggest looser.

1 Like

Everyone that knows I watch drama is asking me about this! I have no idea if I would like it?

3 Likes

I used to read the manga, so I watched this one a long time ago. I can’t help but see all the influences from BR in things like the Hunger Games, Squid Game, etc. I just checked the wiki of BR and I saw that they added SG to it as a - influenced by.

4 Likes
1 Like

Oh dear :flushed: Something really needs to be done about restricting OTT platforms but what, really? You can physically stop people from getting into theaters, but people are faceless, body-less consumers on the Internet, with access to whatever they want. These shows make me so skeptical of even Korean dramas when they’re produced by Netflix, bypassing all of Korean TV’s strict broadcasting regulations.

1 Like

Video is 38:46 long :wink::ok_hand:t5:**

2 Likes

The kids outside are now playing red light/green light, and those screams are really scary lol. I don’t look out the window to see bc their screams alone are traumatizing for me. Winter can’t come fast enough for me.

2 Likes