Subathon 2020 - C/T dramas only

You have to count the subs by yourself by visiting your profile page, look at the actual counter and then see how much is added step by step.

After you filled the form there was a sentence like: thanks for your entry that means they got your datas.

The reason why we even have to register before the marathon is because Viki doesn’t have these fancy things such as subtitle counters :grin: They just go through the list of registered volunteers noting down the final score. As opposed to going through every single volunteer(s before and after subtitle/segment number.

Ah, that reminds me of the first subathons where we waited for two months to get our badges…

2 Likes

Nooooooooooooo! I sometimes see OL subbers in the top 10 as well! :slight_smile:

Exactly! And that’s also how they get into the top 10. :wink:

Yes! Yes! Yes! :prayer_beads:

1 Like

27.000 seems a magical Chinese drama subtitle number for me :joy:

Translating Chinese dramas for me is like running a marathon. The real battle doesn’t happen in the fingertips, but in one’s mind. Sticking through it till the end.

I really like your suggestion, there should be a Most Stamina badge! :blush:

7 Likes

But this works only, if you solely translate Chinese and Taiwanese dramas :slight_smile: If you work on Korean or other languages, too, you should note down the subs for every part.

2 Likes

Wow, so many subs!

Some years ago I translated some whole dramas, too. And one was deleted when I had only 2 episodes left, I was literally crying.

3 Likes

Oh, snaaaaap. That must have hurt… :grimacing:

Thanks sonmachinima and bozoli!

Another question: What does OL mean? My guess is: Original Language, but I’m not sure.

Good guess, you’re right ^^

Holy smokes! Mad respect for that! :scream:

Other Languages

1 Like

This is nothing compared to the Chinese-English subbers. There’s also very few of them, and yet, all Chinese shows get translated very fast. And I feel the only time they take a break is for for Chinese New Year.

You can usually find them in the top 10 subbers every single month. That is true dedication :clap:

2 Likes

It stands for Other Languages. Usually we say English team/main team (that includes their editors too, for English edit and translation edit) and OL = all other languages’ teams so in the team discussion the English team /CM posts something like: episode xx ready for OL = all other language teams are allowed to work on it.

OMG! That’s horrible! :scream::scream::scream:

afbeelding

1 Like

Second this. Translating 50+ episode dramas takes so much time when you are working alone.

2 Likes

It didn’t show up last time I was looking for it but there is an International Mother Language Day the next on 21st February 2021, in German date format 21.02.2021 - nice number.

3 Likes

As someone who works primarily on C/T dramas, I can tell you why they chose these dramas…

…because Viki has so many more of these dramas than Korean. When I mean so many more, I mean for every one Korean drama, there are 10 Chinese dramas. These dramas are taking longer to sub and fulfill in a quality amount of time. The fact that most of these dramas in the Chinese languages are already coming to us already subbed in the English language should be a clue. There are not enough quality Chinese subbers to fill the demand for Chinese dramas. So, they are masking this into a subathon to increase the output rather than the quality. But the demand is so freaking high, not for just English but other languages as well.

I know you are upset about the Latin languages being the top favorite of the other languages for this subathon… but then the DEMAND for these languages are higher than other languages including English. You can’t beat out Spanish and Portuguese as these languages are tantamount to Viki’s popularity.

9 Likes

si en eso esta muy mal :frowning:

Yeah true, and if one forgot to note down the total amount before it might be difficult to know how many new subs are count because the previous subs from October that are visible in the overall list do not count, right?

You’d definitely need to notate what you have done if you are counting for the subathon.

1 Like