Subathon 2020 - C/T dramas only

Thank you! You too! :rose:

3 Likes

I’m also participating, because I’m subbing Chinese dramas anyway :sparkler:

Some team members are also participating so I guess most should get at least the 500 badge :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Is the subathon still ongoing?
Good luck with it and congrats on finishing your bachelor :smile:

1 Like

I think it ends on 31th October.

1 Like

Yes until the 31th on this month ^^ and thank you @feyfayer :heart:

1 Like

I was wondering if the subs made during this subathon will be checked or not, I mean, will it be checked if the subs made during this subathon are actually just copy-pasted from Google Translate?

A moderator or CM might discover it and report it.

And what if the person is a Gold QC as well as on this months top contributors’ list?
I just came across one such person yesterday and discovered that they have been using Google Translate all this time, I didn’t reported them to anyone and just talked it out with them but will it be fair with rest of us if they receive a 500,1K and 5K badges from this fall subathon?

It clearly violates the guidelines.

2 Likes

Keep an eye on that person and see if he/she does it again. If so, report it.
If not, you might choose to not report it … but that’s your own choice, based on how your discussion with that person went, whether this person seems to have understood/acknowledged that it was wrong, whether you expect it to happen again or not …

And, frankly, if someone gets a badge based on fraud, then that badge will have zero value to that person.
Those who worked hard, can be proud of their badges, for those who cheated it’s just a shameful reminder, that only they are aware of.

Btw, if you are the moderator, you could also delete the subs that came from Google Translate.

6 Likes

They are the moderator for the channel I work on. Although they didn’t acknowledged or accepted the fact they used the translation tool, they clearly said that as a moderator they’ll keep an eye on everyone in their team if they use some third party tool or not.

Then, I suppose, just monitoring them for now should be fine and take next step if they still continue to use any third party tool.

2 Likes

If you see this person, Moderator, has copied in GT subs and is not admitting guilt, then you really should report the person the next time GT is used. She then obviously knows the rules, but deliberately chose to break them.

Also, let’s say the Moderator didn’t personally write GT subs. A Mod should in fact go through to check all the subs others have made. They will know if one of their subbers uses GT because often the sentences are inaccurate or simply just… off. If the episode with GT translation was locked, the Mod either didn’t go through others’ translations and just locked the episode, or she knew about it and chose to ignore it. Both are a job poorly done.

I personally don’t care if the Evil Googlators (official term coined back in 2014) get the badge or not. I care more about the fact that they increase their subtitle count, which makes unknowing CMs think this is a good candidate for a Moderator position on their next project.

5 Likes

Exactly! Frankly, that “QC status and that count” are the exact info others like me could depend on for choosing OL mods we have not “worked together” before. Sure there are other avenues, like asking certain members in a certain community, but that’s tedious and troublesome (to others) as some would feel they are ratting out if there’s nothing good to say. For me, that’s the last resort.

In addition, it’s bad enough if a subtitler violates in such a way. I came across a few in a couple of English teams I managed. I would usually give a warning and let it slide. If the violation persists, I’d remove that subtitler and report the violater to Viki. So far, I haven’t had to go beyond the first step. For a moderator to do that, it’s not just bad, it’s irresponsible and should be reported straight away.

However, it’s difficult for CMs/AL mods to be aware of such instances unless members of that language community come forward to let CMs/AL mods know. I, for one, would have no idea if an OL mod (save for the languages I know) were to violate in such a way. Hence, community contributors or active observers who are aware should come forward whenever such violations occur.

GT subs (or general machine subs) are vastly inaccurate, without tweaking, for some language pairs like Chinese-English, Korean-English, Japanese-English (and perhaps many more). What you get are not just inaccurate, they are often misleading as well. However, there are AI efforts that are making great improvement by the day, though they are not ready for mass adoption yet…

I consider this as a violater who knows the rule but is in denial. Yet he/she wants to keep an eye on other violaters? LOL. That’s like a case of “do as I say but not as I do”:roll_eyes: Please let the CM(s) and AL mod(s) know, if nothng else.

4 Likes