Subtitle and Segment Abusers

Hi I’m new and i want to know if there is a way to make the subs bigger?
Thanks for the help in advance :]

1 Like

Unfortunately, no. You might want to correct your vision if you can’t see it well.

well I don’t know how big you need it but I had a look (I use chrome) and if you zoom to 125% and then expand the video - I think you can see a bit of a difference.
Hope that helps a bit.

Thanks For your Help It’s Because, I Watch The Drama With My Frien And When It’s On Tv The Sub Are bit Small . I Will Contact The Team That Sub The Drama That I Want And see If They Can Provide Me With The Sub Only That I Will Add Later for my Personal Use only of course :].

Thank you for your help ^^

This is a very interesting topic. I would like to say that viki is not very clear about the process to the would-be new subtitler. They tell you to click a link called “Find a project”, and you get taken to a page where you choose the source and target language, the country of the show, the type of video etc… and then they present you with some thumbnails of videos that you can translate, with a little image of what percentage is already translated.
The newbie I was a few months ago thought that this was the correct procedure. I clicked on one of those videos and started translating.
Only later on, by browsing the site out of curiosity, did I find myself somehow on a page where it said “you should ask first”. But by then I had done quite a few hundred subtitles. It’s a wonder I didn’t get reported. Later on I wrote a p.m. to the moderator of the episode I had fully subtitled in two different languages to make her my excuses etc.

So my point is: shouldn’t viki put this information about asking for permission, on the Find a Project page?
Right now, this is all you find there:
Welcome to Project Finder

Here you can find interesting shows to subtitle or segment and start your journey as a Viki Volunteer.
Instructions:

1. Use the filters below to select your language and show preferences.
  2. Click Update to refresh your results.
  3. Pick a show and get started!
    END OF QUOTE

At least now, with the new design, there is a “Contact the Channel Manager” link below each video. But then, why contact the poor CM when you need to contact your language moderator instead?
Better have a link to the first page of the project, with the words “Ask permission from the Moderator”
And, on the other hand, shouldn’t there be some places where a new person with no connections can try out subtitling without fear of penalty?

3 Likes

So here’s where things get tricky… it’s a viki rule vs. community guideline.
People make teams so that there is order and stuff. Thus out of respect to people who put in the effort to organize and get things done in an orderly manner, you ask.

That’s a guideline. Videos owned by viki well basically no guidelines. If there is a team. Ask first.

@irmar Don’t worry about getting reported. Most mods will PM you when they find new people subbing somewhere. When I was a mod for my language I just PMed the people who where not part of the team yet to ask if they wanted to join the team and told them how it works on Viki. I won’t wrte angry PM’s or report newbies right away as everyone makes mistakes and at this point Viki is just confusing because Viki says A and the community says B.

4 Likes

We’ll I"m not worried. This happened in March. If they were to report me or anything, they would have done it then! I just wanted to point out that this information is not readily visible for someone who has just joined and wants to start volunteering.

Couldn’t channel managers and moderators make a sort of… I don’t know, request, petition, to viki, that it includes the information in the “Choose a project” page?
As point n.4: “When you choose a project you’d like to subtitle, we suggest you go to its main page and find out the name of the moderator for your language, then p.m. him/her to ask to be included in the team”.

That would be clear. And the verb “suggest” is there to mean that it’s not 100% required, but best practice.

2 Likes

Hi guys,

Do you know how can I subtitle the movie when that movie has an inactive channel manager or no English moderator? Sometimes there’s a movie/drama I find on Viki has no channel manager and English moderator is sometimes not active. What should I do?

1 Like

contact vikistaff:
qc@viki.com or kris_o on vikimail.

1 Like

I know this is an almost 4 year old thread but I just wanted to share my agony.

What is done with those Moderators who do not treat the work of an editor respectfully?
I was just roaming around different profile pages when I thought of just looking what my moderator from one of the projects I edit at is doing.
Just yesterday, I spent 4 hours editing a 1000 segments long episode and turned the episode to get locked. Today at her profile, I found she did some changes to the subs. I wasn’t that curious but just wanted to see her changes. I went into the subtitle editor and typed her name in the search box and found out that she changed all my edited subs to the previous wrong ones.
I AM SERIOUSLY NOT HAPPY WITH THIS.
The catch here is, she is the same moderator who previously used GT till she got at 50K+ subs, then wanted English to be used in a 10th centuary drama and now is wasting my efforts by simply changing the subs to unedited ones.
I never reported her for anything she did just out of respect that she was my first moderator. But things are getting out of control now.
Even if you can’t understand Hindi, you can still see that she changed my edited subs to improper, raw subs. There are lots of spelling mistakes and punctuation errors in the subs she updated.
Abuse_1_LI

Abuse_2_LI

Abuse_3_LI

We’ve communicated several times about what names are to be used, what lyrics are to be used but her role as a moderator is never shown except informing subbers about episode release. The cast names she came with were just GT translated English names whereas mine were based on the Chinese pronunciations, same goes with the lyrics too.
I found out that she had been doing this at episode 8, that means, all my efforts starting from episode 1-7 went in vain. The time I took out during my online classes just to edit the subs do not hold any value now. I spent so much time in just matching the flashbacks but I don’t think that this moderator will consider that a job well done.

Even if I report her now, Help Center will take a month to get to her account. I still have two reports pending in the Help Center from the past one week.
If she just wanted to have unedited subs, then why she accepted my proposal to become an editor for the drama. Her Hindi is not very good too, she seem to mix up verb conjugations and can’t punctuate well either and treats my effort as some unnecessary formality to have an editor.

3 Likes

You can also contact the Channel Manager, because he must also know when one of his moderators is suspected to make abusive or incorrect contributions.

The report is to be sent to Viki and the CM(s).

In a report, you can additionally give:

• the incorrect contributions
  • the automated translation in comparison
  • why it’s incorrect
  • a correct translation you can provide

If it’s happening on more than 1 drama, you can provide more elements.

If you’re not the only one to have noticed it, you can ask other subbers or moderators in your language to make the report with you.

You can save subs once an ep is edited in case this situation happens again (bulk translation, copy and paste all in a document).

3 Likes

Thank you for your thoughts.:hugs:
I did asked the moderator to remove me from the team and from all the teams where we were working together but she denied to do so, so I asked CMs.
On a different platform where we were communicating, she sent me pictures of all the original subs and of my subs and asked for why I made those changes. I started giving my reasons and when she realized that she was losing the argument, she went one step ahead to threaten me with deleting her account. She even dared to call me fake stating that every internet user is the same. I immediately asked all the CMs to remove me from the team so that this won’t become a big thing. Later that evening, I got to know that she had already deleted her account from both Viki and from the other platform where we used to communicate.

It’s a relief that I haven’t met anybody like her and won’t like to meet one ever again.

2 Likes

What a story!

You could have stayed, why leaving these projects?
Some CMs would have taken a look in your report.

I didn’t know that deleting an account on Viki was so fast! I thought it would have taken more time.

It’s difficult to have a quiet discussion with the person reported or to explain them, because they will try to justify themselves.

For me, I took care in not subbing or editing projects where I knew beforehand that the moderator was an abuser or the edition would be strange. The reason is if I were to participate, it would encourage people to continue giving abusive contributions and taking and leaving projects like that. For you, it’s like what you invest in the project as a subber or editor will go to nothing.
So if you encounter a situation like this, you have to think twice before accepting.

I think that if something is done wrongly, that can be told in a certain way, not in any way, because there’s a feeling of shame or awkardness, right? Shame can make people act without thinking, act on an impulse and reject everything.

4 Likes

@Niennavalar I found an abusive subtitle. I’ve been watching it for months to see how many subtitles it does in 10 minutes. And it’s impressive. It’s still in the TOP 1 for 6 months. It makes more than 52000 subtitles every month. And I saw that in 10 minutes he made more than 700 subtitles.

I tried to contact him but he told me that I was talking nonsense. That he does it for passion. It’s not passion when you’re making such a big number. It’s not possible. The only way to go fast is google translation. But how to prove it is hard?

What I know is that the average monthly number is 30,000 to 35,000. And this person makes more than 50,000 subtitles. And as I said before. To make more than 700 subtitles in 10 minutes is not possible

3 Likes

You can only report him/her if you have proof that he/she is using Google translator, if not he or she might be a fluent subber who contributes more on viki and loves Viki a lot.

4 Likes

Now I see this post of yours, hyyuns. Although based on your activity you seem to be a beginner, it is inexplicable your attitude. With every post you make, you give me the impression that you have made me a target. Question: where have you been in all these many months that you say you have been analyzing me? A simple Viki watcher wouldn’t bother with that. Probably many don’t even know that translations are voluntary and that we, the translators, are behind it. Therefore, who exactly are you?

I notice that you are trying to provide some numbers, which are totally irrelevant if I consider your way of calculation. Those contributions are not just translations. To calm you down a bit, I can tell you that more than half of my monthly contributions are from editing. If I had done captioning, the number would be even higher. What would you have done in this situation?

Regarding the message you sent me in private, I’m sure it would be unfavourable to you if I published it here.

Whoever wants to know more, go to the topic created by this person. Also, please keep the conversation in one place. It’s easier to follow.

4 Likes

Even if you just copy-paste, you wouldn’t be able to do that. Unless you use a fancy program that somehow fills segments in less than 1s all the time. I don’t know if someone would bother to develop something like this. Anyway, I wouldn’t be able to translate 1500-2000+ segments every day, this would exhaust me mentally. :rofl: Others might be able to do it. :woman_shrugging:

6 Likes