Subtitle and Segment Abusers

@BeckyK - with that said, you had the 100th post here, yay!

Hahhaā€¦really? I do not notice thatā€¦:smiley:

I think whatever works for a team to stop abusers is ok, and not necessarily applies for every team, some of my teams have similar time zones with me other teams completely different even 7 hours difference so we should have the flexibility to see depending on the people we are working with have different ways of work. As Danylor said we are here because the main problem is protect the subs specially in the popular shows which are the main target. Iā€™m glad to hear that thereā€™s no more abuse since you found that way of locking the subs. But I think there should be a way to protect better the subs like the suggestion of adding subbers are we segmenters as we manager the channel is the best Idea so far, but again viki is the one who decide helping us or no. And still I havenā€™t get any response from the Viki staff regarding that. So we will see.

@Niennavalar , did you send it recently? Some ideas above are great including the one that @Luzevedo told about. If Iā€™m not mistaken itā€™s something like a reminder, with some infos that pop-up right before people start to volunteer. I hope they will respond soon. Finger crossed!

Yes not today or yesterday but some days before. I did told them the ideas we had about it and hopefully we will see what they say,

@BeckyK @bkiss @lutra @Luzevedo @danylor @Dudie @sara_frn @optyk @JPEEZY @tcruz

I got an answer from the Viki staff about all this , "We definitely know that the non-team-members subtitling on on-air shows is an issue in the community and is something that weā€™re trying to find a solution for. We want to make sure that new members arenā€™t scared off or discouraged from joining the community though. But please know that we are aware of this issue and have it top of mind.

I think the fact that they are aware of it and they try to worked out is something important already, we exposed our ideas and now is up to them what to do.

3 Likes

@Niennavalar
I admire your enthusiasm.
And hope it wonā€™t be to discouraging, what I am telling you now, but almost the same words were given 2 years ago or longer. I hope Viki will not ā€œbe awareā€ like this for another 2 years or longer.

1 Like

Thatā€™s what I donā€™t really get.
I mean, the segment timer already has the option to be locked. Why not for subs? I honestly donā€™t think it would discourage someone who truly wanted to help out.

When you go to any organization to volunteer, you have to actually contact them and sign up, etc. Why is this really so different?
Most channels operate like this already anyway.

The actual locking of the sub editor isnā€™t the issue though, I think. It would end up being a matter of how the users in charge of it (i.e. the manager and mods) handle it, as to welcome new volunteers as well as the site veterans. But for the most part, with subbing, I donā€™t really see people turned away unless a channel has ā€œtoo manyā€ helpers already. (Though, you could argue that itā€™s usually older members that fill up those spots, so thereā€™s less opportunity for new users?)

2 Likes

My same though, I think that no one will say no to a volunteer if they really want to learn. I donā€™t think it will be so hard for them to add the subtitle editor blocked as the segmenter if the platform is already there. But thatā€™s all we can do.

True, my only worry was make the viki staff know, of they do or donā€™t do is something we canā€™t control the only thing we can control is how we contribute in viki ourselves, it would be great if they can do something about it, because most of the people that get to subtitle with out permission knowing about it, they donā€™t really want to contribute at all.

But what you said is true.

Thatā€™s good news that Viki is aware.
I do understand that Viki says ā€œWe want to make sure that new members arenā€™t scared off or discouraged from joining the community though.ā€ because I did notice some people are afraid to send a PM somehow.

Hopefully Viki comes with a solution since Viki is getting bigger and bigger and more people use Viki.

1 Like

Glad that they acknowledge the issue,ā€¦Waiting for their follow up, now. Hopefully not turn into waiting in despair.

1 Like

In running a few sites in the past, there are a couple of simple steps that will stop 95% of the abusers and spammers. One is to be able to block IP addresses, and the other is to verify email addresses. I donā€™t know if Viki does either of those now, but if not that will at least stop the casual abuser. If someone is really determined and goes so far as to create new email accounts and/or IP addresses, then you may have to do things, but I have found that IP blocking is the most effective. As a 3rd option you can compare the email reply verification with the supposed origin and see if it matches (there are online programs that will do that in a few seconds).

I think someone do it just to get to 3000 or 2000 sub segs and become a QC.
And sometimes they do it consciously! They do so knowing what you are doing.
Just today, the Italian Mod of a drama told me that an abuser was re-writing the subs written by some members of the team.
Sorry, but these people canā€™t tell they didnā€™t knowā€¦because those parts were subbed!
And they have re-written them! So, donā€™t tell me that you didnā€™t know what you were doing, because an outright lie! They have a nerve!
It means so little our hard work to them? I bet many of us even spent nights subbing an episode of a drama to make it available in our language, right? They do nothing but slow us down and belittle our work! And this is not fair for us and our very hard work.
This really makes me angry.

Iā€™ve also noticed that there are people who are rating @ ā€œone linersā€ that thumb down a line and they suggest the exact same line as a better translation.
I guess that they do it so the people who are rating the suggestions thumb up their line so they gain a subtitle under their name (I donā€™t know exactly how it works but I think it makes sense).

Honestly those one liner annoy me because you have to sub in the context of the whole thing, like if someone is saying something normally it takes 2 or 3 segments and the text and translation will make no sense if you read them alone without the next one. So I guess people can take advantage of that.

4 Likes

Just send a PM talking about that topic to anyone who joins viki :smiley:

Hi Iā€™m new and i want to know if there is a way to make the subs bigger?
Thanks for the help in advance :]

1 Like

Unfortunately, no. You might want to correct your vision if you canā€™t see it well.

well I donā€™t know how big you need it but I had a look (I use chrome) and if you zoom to 125% and then expand the video - I think you can see a bit of a difference.
Hope that helps a bit.