Subtitle and Segment Abusers

Yes, it’s good. But it could be better.

Unforeseen circumstances might happen. Imagine if the Mod is out of power, therefore can’t lock/unlock subtitles, and at the same time one of the subbers loses internet connection. The subber wouldn’t be able to go back unless the Mod is online. The Team should have access anytime, at least that’s what I think.

You may think that things like that don’t happen, but it happened the other day. I wasn’t the one without power, but one of my subbers. And the other one lost internet connection. Just imagine if it was me, the Mod?

1 Like

By the way, I just had a power cut today, too. Thank God the power was back before editing. Or else my team would have troubles :frowning:

Yes, but thanks God never happened. And for the english team this is a bad thing to happen, not so worry about for the other languages whom can wait a little bit more. But in any way, everybody should be understanding. Shame that those abusers are called like that and don’t mind it, they should read the guidelines, follow the rules and be “team members”.

Uh ok now I understand what you said about “blocked into the editor”…
yes, team members use to communicate, but for example, one of my subber lives in the USA and I live in Italy, it is difficult to be online at the same time. Then, people also have a life, I go to the University, and it takes me almost 8h per day only going to lessons, plus some hours to study for my exams. I am online at “strange” hours.
Also, I like translate my subs dividing my job, and I don’t want to be bound, and my team too. Many people have a job, many have to go to the school or university, have a very busy life, and despite this, they find little breaks and do well their viki-jobs. What is important is a well done job and meeting deadlines…Offline conversations work just as well.
so, blocking people into the editor is not the solution for everyone.

only Channel Managers and that language moderator can lock and unlock the editor, so if it happens while CM is not online and the mod too…there’s noting to do. I don’t want to argue but don’t you understand that you’re talking like we all should stay 24h online? I think we should find another solution.

maybe…if mods could allow their subs to lock and unlock the editor, it should be better.
For example: My team is composed by 4 people, plus me. I should have a function into “manage channel” which permits me to insert their names and allow them to lock and unlock the editor (just this, other type of management remains on mods hands).

1 Like

That’s the thing with that bug it sometimes don’t happen for weeks, then all of a sudden it happens a lot and then it never happens at some series. I already made sure it wasn’t a mod doing this. One day it was that worse I unlocked, PMed my team, went back to the editor to see if everything was still ok but it was locked again so I had to unlock it for the 2nd time. 5 minutes later I got a PM from one of my team members to ask if I can unlock it. I think no mod will lock subs 2 times in less then 5 minutes.

And I only unlock my subs when the english subs are ready to be translated in an other language.

The matter was already reported to Viki.

you know right… My team is a mess from that point of view: everyone has different schedules, many people connect at night, one of them lives in the USA. I go online almost 10 time during the day, to monitor constantly, but only for some min at the time. then I sub when I’m eating for dinner…

Yes, I got that, that’s what makes Viki amazing,though… We work crossing the world, with various backgrounds yet aim to do a good voluntary work. This method is a lil bit hard to do under that circumstances,… but knowing that the work has to be done, it’s interesting to learn we have various types of effort to minimize or block the messy subs from the trolls.

I like your idea coz I think with the abusers the necessity to lock the ep when nobody from the team is online is increasing, and I imagine that for a moderator things are getting harder coz not all subbers are online at the same time, so they need to be constantly online to lock/unlock the episode.

1 Like

Oh! That’s cool then! I just saw that feature today while subbing. I’ve never used it before. Gosh, its still a chore to go in and do it all over.

If your subber is such a reliable person, you should think about making him/her a second or third moderator, since there is no limit of having moderators, most of the time it’s only a wish of the channel to not have more than one other language moderators at least as it is now, you should think about extending the number of moderators, so the subber out of your time schedule can open/close the subs her-/himself.

1 Like

@sara_frn - I didn’t wanted to insist on this topic or argue with you, I just told my oppinion, a solution we found. Regarding a busy life outside viki, you know, i am wife, mother of a 6 years old child (just started school) and i have a job too, so i know very well what busy it means.
And NO, it doesn’t mean that all have to be online 24/24. We do it and aren’t online 24/24. I am too, in a different time zone from all my co-team members and moderator. As for today, the moderator sent a PM with the time she can be online. If i can make it, it’s ok, if not, we delay or there is always the possibility for another member to do it. I don’t really get how others are working. But finaly, the moderator should be the “main character” here and she could try to match to the subbers schedule. I repeat, there is the option to aks the CM or all language mod to unblock and block if the mod isn’t online, because the only important think that matters is for those subs to be done, no?
We are 6 subbers, including the moderator, each has a part to sub. And this topic started duo the fact that we also had abusers because that one reason - not all of us were the same time online. So this is why we first delayed the subbing for days, we intentionally didn’t worked on the episodes and leaved them blocked. We created a topic for all the drama followers from our country saying to stay away if they want to watch and with guidelines for those who wanted to sub. After that, abusers still came and we found this way of subbing - as i said above. So, this is all. YOU DON’T HAVE TO DO THE SAME WAY!
But one fact it’s true - we don’t have abusers anymore.

2 Likes

@lutra You’re right, because if the moderator and subber’s schedule don’t match, then it will be always difficult to make it. It works just in case that episodes won’t ever be blocked.

I think you misunderstood what @danylor danylor was trying to say about “being blocked into the editor”.
you’re not blocked for the whole day, only as long as you have the window with the editor open. as soon as you close the window (or as soon as you try to navigate through the episode and go to other parts), you’re “unblocked” and free to go on with your life and other projects.
the trick is to be sure that once you’ve started, you’ll finish your part, which is not something very hard to do…we, on Heirs, take about 30 minutes or less to finish subbing a part…so this is why blocking my subbers inside the editor whenever they have time to translate works best for us in terms of keeping the abusers at arm’s length. everyone does their jobs at their own pace and at the same time, nobody can get inside and mess up the other parts - and when they’re done subbing, they close the window and the eps is locked until I “say” otherwise. and I, as the moderator, can go and live my life without having to worry about what i’m gonna find in my channel once i get home. the system has done wonders for my nerves - especially since Heirs is the only on-air drama licensed for Europe and we’ve been invaded with abusers like you wouldn’t believe because every non-QC can get on board and do as he/she pleases.

It’s the all language moderstors, trust me. I had the same problem with Secret (if I remember correctly), until I talked to Pilar, the all language mod, and found out they were the ones locking all the subs.

You’re right… but I still think that it would be better to permit “authorized subbers” to lock/unlock ^.^

I think it’s not ok to give some power just like that to any subber. And as lazarini said, an option should be to add subbers as we add segmenters. This way, only designed subbers could touch the editor so that locking and unlocking wouldn;t be necessary.

1 Like

In fact, meant that: give that power only to the official team’s subbers. Viki should consider this idea

Yes, i read that post and agree and go for it, but till this would be done/gived to/for us, are you understand why i said what i said about the lock into the editor? It’s a WHAT solution WE WANT and WHAT solution WE HAVE think.
So, sara, please don’t get it bad, it was nice to argue a little, but let’s say we are over with this. Hope you’ll have a nice day, a nice weekend and hope to hear good news from now on. I just finished my part from Heirs, after being confused a litte (asked the mod to open the editor, she answered later while i was out, than asked again if she’s online, asnwered after other 30 min while i was out… finally we get the same time to be there and in 20 minutes we were done - so, it’s not easy, but other parts are safe after all).
KISSES AND WAVES - i have to go shopping.

@danylor, @sara_frn:… Guyss,…thanks for your opinions, this is why we are here, to discuss :slight_smile: and hopefully we can get something out of it. As I understand how frustrating it can be to deal with so many messy subs. You can agree or disagree, it may not necessarily works for others if it’s not fit your way. My point is… I may need doing something like @danylor did to some extend when I can’t handle them anymore, in other hands, I do not want to bar people who like to help which I found some of them do a great subbing as well even though they did it in the first place without enough knowledge (of the rules). I hope Viki will hear us… so there’s a way that works for many of us. Ideally for all of us…

1 Like