Subtitle upload practice

Yeah, it was. It was a drag to go through the messages and actually find the ones from CMs that are recruiting. I try to at least reply to those.

6 Likes

I have seen that no subs complaint on the 3 shows I’ve been the CM for but people leave complaints in their own languages in the review section on the day it drops. I just ignore their impatience.

8 Likes

Recently, I read a whole essay someone wrote in the reviews section complaining about how they will not be supporting Viki further because they feel they’re not getting their money’s worth. Good luck to them finding a platform with decent subs. They make it sound like their vikipasses pay the volunteers or something.

13 Likes

They are allowed AND encouraged to shop elsewhere. :shushing_face: :innocent:

4 Likes
    1. I would like to be able to help with edits on subtitles for grammar and pronoun usage as I come across them. Those seem to be the biggest issues, especially on the Mandarin series. If they would allow us as users to submit corrections to a review team for each subtitle group, that would be super. What is the work flow on the subtitles?
  1. Viki is pretty good about uploading accurate subtitles as fast as they can. They have the percentage right there under the episode frames. Maybe they could color code that part. Green for 100% complete, Yellow for 50% or more, and red for 25% or less. That way those who are learning the languages as we watch are still able to watch them. It challenges me when they are not fully translated yet, and that is part of the fun for me.
3 Likes

I am doing that myself. However, I am doing it for reading poetry and classics. I will go sit in a corner with my nerd hat now. :rofl::joy::sweat_smile:

1 Like

This is usually because of the pre-subs, which are the subs that come with the drama. If you’ve seen multiple mistakes like that on a new drama, its probably because the editors haven’t gotten to it yet.

For raw videos that dont come with subs:
Segmentor - Chief Segmentor - Eng subtitler - Eng Editor - Translation Editor - General Editor(skippable) - Chief Editor - english subtitling complete - release to Other Language Teams

Videos that come with presubs
Segmentor(adjustments) - Presub Editor(mostly for the shows that come with terrible presubs or else this is skippable) - Translation Editor - General Editor(skippable) - Chief Editor - release to OL teams

If you see a 100% for a very new show, either the video is untouched with presubs or its the first level (subtitler) translation.

10 Likes

Oh WOW, thank you for that explanation. If anyone needs help with anything, let me know. I will go study the segmenter section.

2 Likes

If you have the time and good English skills, you could become an English Editor here :blush:

2 Likes

And here you can apply for segmenter training (required if you want to work as a segmenter):

6 Likes

Here is the link to the NSSA (Ninja Segging and Subbing Academy) channel, if you wish to know more about it:

You should look at the cover page of the channel below the channel volunteers’ team members (“meet the team”).
And here’s the site of NSSA: https://nssacademy.weebly.com/

With these pages, you can have more informations about how it works and what is exactly the NSSA.

5 Likes

Yes, two so called seasons each with 8 episodes.

1 Like

Viki is a company and viewers are its customers. Viki will design their business model (which includes also the subbing workflow) based on both the desires of the viewers and abilities of the volunteers.

Even the non-paying viewers are customers because at some point they could become paying viewers.

3 Likes

I hope with the real fans support, the Viki platform will continue to be a profitable one for the company to continue and to grow. The streaming market is very competitive with Disney, Amazon, and others joining. I am somewhat concerned that with their big pockets they would capture some very good shows and leave platforms such as Viki with some niche shows. That would be sad.

There are “ways” people watch/download online for free. Obviously those sites should be in violation of international licensing agreement and therefore Viki has a clear guideline to discourage posting links as much in the comment sections.

2 Likes

That’s correct. They use the free episodes and free series to bring on new viewers. I was one of them 3 years ago and quickly converted. :slight_smile:

Only Viki knows if the complaints are in majority or not.

4 Likes

From my understanding, Viki is the longest standing streaming site with volunteers such as subbers/segmenters/editors. Viki survived the competition with Drama Fever. As long as Viki has volunteers, it will do fine against those other sites.

The major con of Viki is the inclusion of a wide range of Asian dramas with a variety of languages available. The subtitles may not be available all at once across all languages but as the community is growing, we’re getting more people willing to lend a hand.

Even though those other sites may offer the shows but will they have more like it? What I mean is, if D*sney offers an exclusive Korean drama but only has like 10 Korean dramas in total, would this entice viewers to subscribe to that site for just that one show? What if the other 10 Korean dramas are also on Viki standard pass or for free? Plus, the range of other dramas we have here… Viki is still the best bet overall. Like you said, for some of those exclusive shows some sites have, there are 3rd party sites they can watch it from without paying a cent. They only need a good adblocker and they’re all set.

7 Likes

But that’s already a reality, although Rakuten itself appears to be one of the big players.

Meanwhile, Korean content is offered on Netflix, Prime, Disney+, Apple+, IQIYI and Viu/Viki. Did I forget something?

1 Like

You can find some on YouTube, too.

There’s also ondemandkorea.com, but not all contents have subtitles, although most do.

5 Likes

@ajumma2

Thanks for sharing that link. Never knew of that one before.

Have a blessed and joyful weekend everyone!

1 Like

Not really. This is how Viki works, subtitles are added in real time.
There are many, many Viki users who are Korean/Japanese/Chinese, or students of those languages, and can watch without subtitles. Why should they be penalized and have to wait because of the rest of us who don’t know the language and needs subs?

Do you know that sometimes the time we reach 100% subs is the same time when the drama is uploaded, subbed, on other platforms? So you’re not actually waiting longer than them. You wait the same, but the difference is that native or fluent speakers can have it earlier.

Other platforms wait until we are ready to steal our subs. I’ve seen this many times.

4 Likes