The Drama Bingo! šŸŽ±

It would be if you didnā€™t chop up the carrot! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

You just invented a new kind of kimchi: whole-carrot-kimchi! Great for slapping! :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I just finish watching. What a great series :blush: I really enjoyed that.

It was the second or third dish she made in Summer.
What she made was amazake - which is rice, mixed with a koji starter and fermented at a high temperature, to convert the starches in the starch to sugar, resulting in this sweet fermented rice (itā€™s delicious, I started craving it again as soon as I watched it).

She double-fermented it though, by adding yeast to it too (which I havenā€™t heard of before), resulting in the very bubbly amazake drink. Itā€™s very low in alcohol though. Iā€™m excited to try this version in the summer :smile:

Too bad I didnā€™t make it haha. The cabbage (not Chinese cabbage, but a type of white cabbage) I got from the farmer had such huge leaves, that I decided to make kimchi with that instead :laughing: I did add carrot to it, but those julienne sticks would barely do any damage :rofl:

3 Likes

I got 24/25-

3 Likes

@piranna I found one on the swoonā€™s IG

Cop

My bingo:

20200904_122422

2 Likes

image I donā€™t know what to think about this lol

2 Likes

Yea, Iā€™d get a disagreeable, sour expression in response from any actor or kpop artist if I called them ģš°ė¹  Oppa. I should call them ģ•„ė“¤ ah-dool (son). :rofl:

p.s. I know itā€™s a ā€˜thingā€™ for girlfriends to call their boyfriendā€™s Oppa in Korea but that is just too incestuous to my ears. :rofl: Thatā€™s the same as Americans calling their boyfriends ā€˜The old manā€™ which also refers to a father. Like Really? YUCK! :nauseated_face: :rofl:

4 Likes

for girlfriends to call their boyfriendā€™s Oppa in Korea but that is just too incestuous to my ears.

To me: when they call oppa their biological brother/ brothers. I simply detest that. How can they use oppa to call their boyfriend and a brother too? Makes absolutely no sense to me.

I especially hate when a middle age woman calls her middle age old husband Oppaā€¦so ridiculous. They too old for that.

2 Likes

Oppa is actually the correct term for a girl to address her older brother. A guy would address his older brother as Hyung.

Calling your boyfriend an older brother is?? weird but from a psychological perspective perhaps they are seeking protection? I donā€™t really understand the psychology of addressing boyfriends as Oppa or Old Man either. And I donā€™t have an older brother, my brother was a very annoying younger brother who got into my stuff all the time. :rage: :rofl:

2 Likes

Calling your boyfriend an older brother is?? weird but from a psychological perspective perhaps they are seeking protection? I donā€™t really understand the psychology of addressing boyfriends as Oppa or Old Man either.

Itā€™s common in most Asian culture for females to call their boyfriends/husbands ā€œbrotherā€ as a term of endearment and a sign of respect since itā€™s a more hierarchical culture. They donā€™t literally mean ā€œbrotherā€ but more like dear or darling. It also shows that two people are very close. In the Malay culture for example, a female also calls their boyfriends/husbands ā€œabangā€ which also means brother.

8 Likes

That Boys over Flowers wasnā€™t my gateway drama just shows how young I am :joy: At least I know the theme song, so Iā€™m not totally disrespectful :joy: and I was the last converted friend, so no one to convert lol

2 Likes

I took it as a term to address older guys who are close to you. The same way we in India refer to senior guys as ā€˜bhaiyaā€™ in Hindi. Actually, Iā€™d call any guy whoā€™s older than me that, whether or not theyā€™re close to me.
If you end up in a relationship I guess it just continues(i have no experience, Iā€™m motaesolo lol).
In English we donā€™t have words like that, you just call everyone by name, so I guess it might sound weird or incestuous :joy:

6 Likes

Oppa can mean either your biological older brother OR any other older guy that you know and trust. Itā€™s not that they think of their boyfriend or husband as their own brother. That would be gross. I think she probably started out calling the older guy oppa as a guy friend initially before they started going out, and then she just continues to call him oppa even after they start dating. So now the word ā€œoppaā€ is commonly used for a boyfriend, and a lot of people continue to call their husband oppa even after they get married, because he is still an older guy that you know and trust.

6 Likes

That is really interesting. In my neighborhood, Tagalog, uses asawang lalaki for husband or asawang babae for wife. or just asawa for spouse.

Older brothers are addressed as Manong, older sisters are Manang - does not matter which sex the person addressing their elder is.
Younger brothers are Menong and younger sisters are Menang. It does not matter what sex the person addressing their younger relative is.

You address your kids as anak ko. My child. You can specify ā€˜Anak ng lalaki ko.ā€™ for my son or ā€˜Anak ng babae ko.ā€™ for my daughter. But most people just use Anak and only use a personā€™s actual name if there are several people in the group.

No one I knew in my community ever called their boyfriend Manong.

Boyfriend/girlfriend was a Spanish word - Novio or Novia

A lot of that may have been due to Spanish colonization for 400 years.

1 Like

Have you come across any language other than Korean that takes into account the sex of a person while addressing an older brother or sister?

1 Like

Wellā€¦ ??? Kind ofā€¦ Yes. come to think of it.

Dakota (Eastern Sioux) has specific names for relationships that change depending on who is using them. Actually Dakota is handy if you want to specify geneaologies. Dakota doesnā€™t use that ā€˜second cousin once removedā€™ nonsense that does not tell you exactly how someone is related. There are specific words that mean exactly ā€˜female cousin on motherā€™s sideā€™ one word will tell you if a person is ā€˜your fathers brothers sonā€™ etc. So specific words for placement on family trees.

There are also birth names that tell you exactly your birth order and if you are female or male. My father would have appreciated Dakota if he had known the language. He frequently complained to me that English lacked words for birth order. ??? come to think of it, I canā€™t remember when my dad ever used my actual name. :joy: .He called me, ā€œnumber one daughterā€ and would complain that he had to say ā€œnumber 4 sonā€ and then wonder, ā€œwell what if people thought I had 4 sons. I only have 2 and that one is the forth kidā€. There has GOT TO BE a language somewhere that has a word for exactly that." There is. Dakota :sunglasses:

Winona - first born child who is a female
Chaske - first born child who is a male
etc. A specific name for each position that specifies the sex of the child.
and you know. come to think of itā€¦ I think there are words for a girlā€™s older brother, etc. I just canā€™t remember them now. Itā€™s been 35 years since Iā€™ve spoken any Dakota.

If you donā€™t use languages you forget them after awhile.

3 Likes

1 Like

How interesting! Iā€™m taking Native American literature and Native Americans in Pop Culture classes in uni right now, so reading this bit of information fit right into what Iā€™m learning about :grinning:

Armenian has different words for uncles/aunts on the fatherā€™s and the motherā€™s side. Iā€™m not sure about different names for the firstborn son or firstborn daughter, etc. I donā€™t hang out with other Armenians except for my immediate family to be exposed to a wide vocabulary. My family is spread out in the worldā€“some live in Canada, the US, Germany, Armenia, Ukraine, etc.

So what works are you studying?

1 Like

So far, weā€™ve been covering different creation stories and different legends and what we can learn about the specific tribeā€™s culture from those stories. The texts for the class (which hasnā€™t been assigned yet) are New Poets of Native Nations (a poetry anthology), Ceremony by Leslie Marmon Silko, and Black Elk Speaks.

1 Like