The food in kdramas

wHAT is up with all that food in like EVERY kdrama ever? Not one episode can end without a restaurant/ bar scene, and the amount of food they put away is :ok_woman: Goodness, especially in Weightlifting Fairy. Does anyone think the same thing?

2 Likes

Sitting down to eat is a chance for the characters to have conversations in a relaxed manner. And it gives the actors something to do with their hands while acting, and be a bit natural instead of just sitting on a couch or just taking a walk together.

Another factor is sponsors. The bars, cafés and restaurants are sponsors of the show, i.e. they give money in exchange for exposure, promotion, through the show. That’s why you prominently see the logo everywhere. It’s a form of product placement.

Now, when there’s emotional turmoil, or people argue, they’re likely to storm out of the café without finishing their drink, because they are too upset to think about it.

5 Likes

I didn’t think of all that!:sweat_smile: In the end, I do kinda enjoy seeing them eat all that food and relax with their friends(though when they leave without touching the amazing-looking smoothie they were having, it drives me crazy)

3 Likes

Food scenes can reveal a lot about the characters. The way the character eats, how he/she interacts with others and with the food, and what the character eats and says while at the table can bring insight to the character and the plot (if the writer does a good job, of course).

It’s such a waste! Hopefully the actors actually get to drink the smoothie after they finish the scene.

1 Like

they’d better :neutral_face:

1 Like

I got news for you guys those delicious looking smoothies can be men’s shaving cream in them or other products not edibles at all, but they do look so good in the cameras. Some scenes can take upto 20 hours so the Production Assistant (my daughter) with rest of staff have to ‘‘improvise’’ on how to keep up a budget with cheaper products. Men shaving cream can be used as whip cream and last long before ‘‘it breaks down.’’

Think about it; here in US we pay 7, 8 even 10 dollars per smoothie but we all know after a few scenes that smoothie loses its charm, and another one has to be ‘‘made’’ If it was made by original store at 7 or upto 10 dollars a smoothie, the budget for the movie would go bankrupt. The same goes for the food; except in South Korea I noticed they use the real stuff and later on the staff can even eat from it but I wouldn’t do it since the actors are talking (spitting) over this food.But that’s me; some ppl are not picky at all (I’ve seen staff in SK jumping into that food without a care in the world).

I never forget when my daughter told me they were making a scene with hamburger and fries that was in a plate in front of the actress,and after hours of filming the burger was in shreds, so they found a sponge that ''resembled the burger added fresh lettuce some ketchup and filming began again.

I’ve noticed that in SK the sandwiches are exaggeratedly big, and also food servings are huge but if restaurants served those big portions they would be bankrupt within months…So I know is mainly for the cameras and it also explains why the actors/actress never touch the food (they know what’s in front of them and what is edible and what is not).

1 Like

If you want to see people eat food watch Coffee Prince . I mean - that girl! She just crams the food in her mouth. Such a piggie! :rofl:

2 Likes

watching weightlifting fairy has been quite enough :joy::exploding_head:

2 Likes

one thing I do hate, and I know its a culture thing, but sipping those noodles? I am surprised someone doesn’t get choked. and yes it seems like most dramas hit a restuarent or a bar, a culture thing?

2 Likes

:rofl: When we were kids we used to slurp our spaghetti. 'Look mom! Worms!" My mom would chastise us but we did it anyway. :sunglasses: :rofl:

It’s like in European manners, they give you flat shallow bowls and serve soup but you can’t get all the soup out, can’t tip the bowl or drink out of it. Such a waste to leave it.

I prefer Japan where you can pick up the soup bowl and drink out of it after using hashi (chopsticks) to eat the solid food first.

1 Like

And then to think Korean portion sizes tend to be rather small compared to Dutch portion sizes and compared to the US it’s even smaller.

It’s quite funny how in Kdrama they make the portions look huge. Like when they go to a chicken and beer restaurant there is a huge pile of chicken. But when I went to a chicken and beer restaurant a basket for 3 people was about half the size.

No wonder they like late night snacking… I did the same lots of times. And we already ordered extra.

1 Like

I once saw in a kdrama where they only ate two or three dumplings for dinner. :hushed::astonished: But sometimes there’s a whole table full of dishes for just one person.

1 Like

That’s a more realistic view on portion sizes in Korea. Compared to the many plates full off food.

3 Likes

Even with my deep south American attitudes towards food, the serving sizes seem way over the top, but part of that is to export the culture of where you are in the drama, so that a person on the other side of the planet will say , ‘Hey , but that is somewhere else’ , once that connection is made , anything culturally different won’t shock you to the point of following the story.

And yeah , I get hungry just watching too…

2 Likes

And

2 Likes

My mother had never eaten Korean food until we went to a Korean BBQ for my birthday, but she wants a smokeless grill to make what she had. She had thick sliced miso marinated pork belly and cucumber kimchi, which she translated to grilled fatback and cucumber salad ! She wasn’t thrilled with the Korean Saurkraut ( Cabbage/Onion Kimchi ) however , but she told be at 80 it was great to still find new things to try :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Sweet, :blush: and right she is too! Lovely! :blush:

I’m sorry for starting a similar thread :sweat_smile: This was my first topic ever and I didn’t know all the rules!

1 Like