The odd things K-Dramas taught me about Korea!

Haha, the blurring effect made it hard to click on it, but a right click would still have worked.

But don’t you think it’s time to learn Hangeul? :wink:

1 Like

I tried before, but my concentration lacks a lot because I mix up the German way of pronunciation and the American one and that is a bother …
I know some sentences but gave up on the alphabet.
There are so many things I still want to do but there is the time and now that viral C - it hit the brakes really hard in my life, since I take care of my mom. The only way to relax is watching drama. I can do that early in the morning when I am not yet fully awake and late at night when I am falling almost asleep.
I am too tired to get anything new into this brain of mine these days, there are so many other matters to take care of.
When days are better again, I would like to take up singing classes again, or try the guitar for once, writing up stories again, … Things I need time when I can block out daily life for an hour or two, but at the moment I am not able to do that.

3 Likes

even I hesitated to watch it for those reasons…I thought it would be a solid military/ medical drama but it isn’t! I can’t believe how long I put it off, and then when I finally picked it up, I was laughing SO HARD ten minutes in! It starts looking like it’s gonna be totally bloody and serious, but it is so hilariously hilarious that it’s totally worth it!
I’m also really sensitive to violence, so I can tell you that apart from two 10-second long flashbacks of Song Joong Ki being tortured(he’s tied up and hit) and one guy being threatened(a gun is pressed to his head and the bad guy almost breaks his shoulder), there’s no hardcore violence anywhere. They shoot at people, but it’s not too messy or scary.
The whole screenplay is beautifully done and I really didn’t expect to laugh SO DAMN HARD throughout the entire drama…they combine the serious and funny elements really, really well–the soldiers are all cool and amazing on their missions and the next second completely adorkable clowns when they’re messing around with one another and getting scared of their girlfriends. They all act like family and take care of the younger ones it’s so sweet to watch. Even the medical team is a bunch of dorks, and don’t even get me started on the romance! Every single arc was well taken care of, and the cinematography is :heart_eyes: since it’s shot in Greece
Wow I can’t believe I’ve written such a long thing promoting the series! :sweat_smile::sweat_smile:
hope you guys enjoy it as much as I did!

Haven’t watched any of these either since I don’t think Nam Joo Hyuk is all that good of an actor and doesn’t Hotel Del Luna end sadly?

none of these either…I’m still not sure about Heirs since all my friends are insane over it but I really don’t like school dramas…

3 Likes

I wouldn’t know … :wink:

3 Likes

ahhh…right:sweat_smile::joy::joy:

1 Like

from the other thread

Maybe it’s the same for me after watching Song Joong Ki in Innocent Man, that’s been years now, I seem to have had my fill, since I once wanted to watch the movie Werewolf Boy (I think that’s the title, maybe I am wrong) and never got to it either.
For whatever reason it is DOTS is just not appealing to me in any way. It’s not particularly about the violence, I went through Fiery Priest just for Kim Nam Gil …
So I guess I just don’t feel the urge, maybe in general, after over 10 years watching K-Drama the storyline doesn’t sound too fresh to me either.

2 Likes

oh well then…but if you ever pick it up and enjoy it, think of me! :grin:
tho i actually thought the drama was pretty fresh, in that it doesn’t have any bossy bosses, love triangles, childhood flashbacks, traumas and the main couple doesn’t take a millenium to fall in love… she agrees to date him from ep1, the whole arc is how she realizes all the sacrifices of being with a soldier and whether she can handle it or not.

2 Likes

Hi! I think it started out as the title thread hahahaha now we’re just having a nice exchange in general.

2 Likes

Most of the “morning dramas” are much longer than the highly budgeted and more popular evening “mini-series,” which are usually 16 to 24 episodes.

I only watch the mini-series as the long morning dramas tend to drag on too much and have a lot more of those crazy makjang storyline, which incorporates all the typical K-drama cliché, such as birth secret, forbidden love between step siblings, totally unrealistic situations, etc.

IMHO, the only dramas that warrant many episodes are Saguek (historical/periodical) dramas, such as Jewel in the Palace, Queen Seondeok, etc.

3 Likes

Here it is.

1 Like

re: Korean sauna, Jjim-jil-bang

@choitrio is right that it’s more of a communal gathering place. In addition to the gender separated bathing rooms, they also have several different communal rooms, such as steam room, ice room mud room, salt room, etc, as well as a restaurant and a rest/sleep room. Some of them even have a gym in it. It’s only about $10 to enter and it’s open 24 hours. So it’s a cheaper and safer option for them so stay overnight than say, going to a hotel/motel. Although there are no beds/mattresses at Jjim-jil-bang, Koreans are used to sleeping on the floor anyway, so that doesn’t bother them.

Here’s a YT video that shows you what it’s like.

6 Likes

I figured out the shot glass thing …they cover and turn when in front of someone older.

3 Likes

So true. I am still surprised when I see a 20 episode or 30+ ep K-Drama. I have to admit I even like the little “bite sized” k-dramas that are only 10-15 minutes a piece and usually only about 10 or so episodes.

Now with C-dramas I’m surprised if they are less than 50 eps! I’m still trying to get through Ever Night 2 (I don’t like it when they change actors in the 2nd season) and staring down that amount of eps can be difficult but I do want to find out how it ends! But I keep finding other things to watch like “Take Your Mark” and “Skate into Love” etc

3 Likes

That makes sense. Some of the long dramas I tried to watch were kind of soap opera-ish and those tend to be really long and lower budget too. They tend to drag on so much which is why the mini-series are nice though sometimes it seems their endings are rushed and I hate the “2 years later” time skips.

I love historical dramas!!! I try to only watch two at the same time though - or at least from different eras/countries so it’s less confusing. I’m still trying to get through “Rooftop Prince” probably because it’s a time-traveling/fantasy/historical show and not a true historical one but I really like one of the actors in it so I want to eventually watch it all.

2 Likes

But she wasn’t talking of the morning 100-episode dramas. She was talking about a 50-episode weekend drama (evening). It’s just that each episode was split in half to incorporate ads, that’s why many people were thinking mistakenly that it was 100 episodes.

3 Likes

Hi Irmar,

I was trying to respond back to her comment about a long drama “must be good to have gone on that long.” :slight_smile: I typically find that long dramas are not as high quality as the mini-series and their storylines are a bit too ridiculous for me to enjoy. It’s just my personal preference anyway. :wink:

5 Likes

If you love historical drama, I highly recommend Jewel in the Palace and Queen Seondeok, although I only watched Queen Seondeok up to 50 episodes and skipped the last 10 episodes. I can’t tell you why since I don’t want to give spoiler. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Being that I am so new with K drama, I thought for sure they were all just standard 16-20 episodes and 1 season. Imagine my surprise when I tried to watch “Giant” (because of Kim Soo Hyun) and I think I stopped at episode 30, I couldn’t watch it anymore , it started off good though I think it won awards and all but it was just too long for me.

3 Likes

Loved it back then but well Kim Soo Hyun played the youngster version, in the beginning an in flash-backs, must have been hard for you, I watch for at least 4 actors and actresses, so I made it until the end, but even for me the last 10 or so episodes were hard to watch - I have a boiler issue since then.

3 Likes

I think it’s not a question of the number of episodes per se, but of the target audience. They are family dramas, so they have to cater to the audience’s tastes, and make everybody happy, including the grandparents and the children, be suitable to everyone and have something for everyone. That’s why they have young couples, older couples, and there’s a lot of traditional relationships, respect for elders etc., although they try to tackle society problems in a way that makes the audience warm up to novelty without being shocked and too ruffled.
Re-marriage of divorcees with children in “Five Children”,
age-gap couple where the woman is older, pregnancy before marriage in “Father is Strange”
a young woman living alone in “Father is Strange”
divorce, women’s independence, marrying ex-in-laws, age gap couple (although we never see them really kiss) etc. in “Once Again”
etc.
The thing I don’t like even in the best of them is that there are some cheap elements like over-the-top acting with exaggerated expressions, open mouth, eye-rolling, big gestures. In “Once Again”, the male lead, Lee Sang Yeob chewed his food and talked at the same time, with mouth open, disgustingly (like all the other characters) whereas in all his other dramas he never did. So, it was clearly the director who asked for it, to make it more familiar to the audience. Although his character belongs to the rich family, not to the lower-middle-class family.
So my gripe is that even the best of these weekend dramas (and the three I mentioned were really good) still try to cater to the lowest denoninator.
The one I liked more was Yu Na’s Street. I think it was almost flawless - except for the lukewarm romance, but then the romance wasn’t the main point to begin with.

2 Likes