The odd things K-Dramas taught me about Korea!

Yes - like in Kill me Heal me and Pinnochio but I’m sure there are a lot more.

1 Like

Didn’t see them either

Only watched them recently because everyone was liking them or most people, resulting in what I call my personal amnesia, there is little in my memory I think I wouldn’t be able to tell much about the story.

Leaves one

Watched it while airing, should I say that were my better drama days, up to 6 on air dramas in the week and one older on the side …
These were the days.
And I watched because of a particular actor guess

Choi Jin Hyuk.

[/details]
Did you guess it?

Others I “missed”:

• Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok Joo
  • Empress Ki
  • Melting Me Softly
  • My Strange Hero
  • Encounter
  • I Am Not a Robot
  • Go Back Couple
1 Like

It’s not 100 episodes, it’s 50 hour-long episodes. They just split them in half and showed them one after the other on the same day, in order to be able to put advertisements between them. It’s a trick that Korean TV channels do lately to raise more money from ads. Since it’s forbidden in Korea to put ads in the middle of a show, they say it’s “two 30-minute episodes” although everybody knows what the trick is.

2 Likes

I didn’t! Worse, I even had to google him! :rofl:

I only saw 2 dramas of that list. The two with a certain actor in it. Guess who? :wink:

1 Like

Ji Chang Wook?

1 Like

No, but he did once star in a drama together with Ji Chang Wook. :slight_smile:

There is the classic Stairway to Heaven. Also, Father is Strange, and The Smile Has Left Your Eyes. By the way, to answer your question about Korean saunas, it is much different than saunas elsewhere. It is more of a communal resting place. In addition to your usual hot and cold baths, steam rooms and saunas, there is usually a restaurant and/or snack shop where you can buy food and drink and a large resting area. I personally have not experienced it but I know of people who have spent a night or two at these saunas.

3 Likes

DOTS is more like a medical drama with a twist than a military-themed drama. It’s from the same writer as Goblin and King Eternal Monarch and honestly, of those three, DOTS is what I like the most.

5 Likes

I may have to actually watch DOTS, then! As long as it isn’t huge into the military/violence I can probably get through it.

3 Likes

I haven’t seen those dramas yet, would you recommend them? I think when I visit SK whenever that may be, I’ll check out a sauna hahahaha

1 Like

I have watched all of those at least in part. LOL Heirs is a classic… you just have to get through the cringe of the first 4-5 episodes! Hotel Del Luna… I think I stopped at ep 5 and need to go back and finish it.

2 Likes

Let us know what you think, I don’t want to give out spoilers but if you appreciate “exotic places” too , you may just like it and of course, like in all dramas there are those " Really now? " moments but you have to just “suspend your judgement” hahahaha

1 Like

I was shocked how much I enjoyed “Father is Strange”. I couldn’t finish “The Smile Has Left your Eyes” because I saw the Japanese version and hated how it ended.

2 Likes

50 is still a lot for a k-drama, though I say that and complain when the short ones end… at least the ones I really liked! LOL

2 Likes

Before I watched all 50 episodes of I Have A Lover, I used to think that about 17 hour-long episodes was the average.

I also have several dramas that I still need to continue someday … :wink:

2 Likes

To clarify, the type of sauna that you want to visit are called Jjim-jill-bang. I would definitely recommend Father is Strange. The Smile Has Left Your Eyes is dark so you might not enjoy it, although the actors are good. Stairway to Heaven is an old classic that got the global audience hooked on K-dramas. I didn’t care too much for the story but I fell in love with the music. It is Caccini’s Ave Maria. In fact, I am still looking for the sheet music for a piano trio.

2 Likes

hi there. i’m new. what we talking about/

1 Like

I only knew the other two Ave Maria’s, but I assume you mean this?

1 Like

Yes, it is less known but I think it is prettier. I was looking for the sheet music for a piano trio (piano, violin, and cello) so that my kids can play but I was only able to find one for piano and violin. I had a chance to hear a piano trio play this and it was so beautiful. The violinist who played at the event is the one who played for the soundtrack for Stairway to Heaven. She and her her husband made the arrangement so they did not want to share because they might publish it one day. I will keep looking.

2 Likes

I have no idea

2 Likes