The odd things K-Dramas taught me about Korea!

On the contrary, I know line dried always smells better as my grandma always line dried bedsheets , et cetera , but it odd to see in some of the dramas like Let’s Eat 2 where a rich guy living in a hi rise has clothes drying on his patio…but a robot to sweep the floor …I guess the appliance giants are not paying for product placement.

5 Likes

“Wanna eat ramyeon at my place?” is the equivalent of “Let’s Netflix and chill” :joy: there are lots of videos of korean celebs going :smirk: “Noona, wanna eat ramyeon at my place?” and the entire audience erupts in laughter :joy:

6 Likes

On the serious side here, it appears chopsticks are always metal instead of wood there. Am I right about this ?

2 Likes

maybe because they’re home-use utensils and metal ones are sturdy and long lasting? Like how we have metal spoons and stuff at home
My dad went on a business trip to SK and was gifted a set of wooden chopsticks…so maybe the wood ones are more…exotic?

3 Likes

I think it is because they take meat chunks right off the grill, and wooden or bamboo would get burned.

4 Likes

Logical, you are right , wood would not work on the grill !

2 Likes

Another theory is that it stemmed from the nobility using silver chopsticks to eat, as the silver would turn a different color when the food was poisoned. You see a lot of this in Sageuks (Korean historical dramas). Having metal chopsticks would also display your status. Later it became cheaper to mass produce them with other metals.

It’s just one of the theories out there though, no one knows the true cause :upside_down_face:

I do have to say - people often struggle with the Korean chopsticks :laughing: When I used to have people over and had a Korean style meal, I would put the chopsticks on the table, but even people who can eat with bamboo chopsticks had trouble with them. Since then I always put two different kinds of chopsticks on the table :laughing:

5 Likes

Also, other “odd things” K drama taught me about Korea is , when you go grocery shopping you have get Leeks (or at least they look like leeks). I may just be ignorant about the cuisine but I notice it a lot like in their bags in most grocery scenes.

2 Likes

Probably akin to the loaf of italian/french bread seen in the grocery bags of every 70’s era tv show made in America…it would look bad if it were true to form a generic bag with nothing sticking out of it

2 Likes

For such a chaste society , the women only seem to wear underwear from Victoria’s Secret or Frederick’s of Hollywood , as that is always the ‘piece’ lying around the first time the 1st Male Lead enters her room , that she has to quickly hide …

3 Likes

:joy: the lacey kind or the bright-colors kind “Suspicious partner” came to mind but also " Fated to love you".

Oh and the guys also “cover” their chests like a female in “embarrassment” :joy:

5 Likes

Or the single exposed spaghetti strap in ‘Happy Again’

2 Likes

Oh , but in the 19+ movies …

Koreans use the flat metal chopsticks at home, and in most restaurants, too. The wooden ones are typically used as cheap disposables, kind of like the plastic forks and knives here.

2 Likes

Those nicely decorated or exotic wooden ones are mostly for gifts and souvenirs.

1 Like

people give spoons and chopsticks as souvenirs??? wow i thought they were all to use when eating! :joy::sweat_smile: ignorance level 3000

True. The noble class and especially royal families used silver spoons and chopsticks to detect any potential poisoning in the food. But even the lower class Koreans have always used plain metal chopsticks, not wooden ones. The wooden ones came from China and became more popularized in the “modern” days, to be used as disposables.

3 Likes

What you see is Korean 대파 - Literally large scallions. These taste like regular scallions, but they are bigger and last longer. They are not as thick and usually longer than leeks.

4 Likes

Yes, Korean chopsticks are flatter and it’s harder to use, if you are not used to it. My kids can’t even use them since they are used to using the round or rectangular kinds here.

3 Likes

I don’t know if anyone mentioned this before (if you did, I’m sorry :sweat_smile:), but I just saw this in all of the dramas I recently watched:

They talk out loud in their sleep - When Koreans go to sleep and there is a secret that needs to be discovered, they often have whole or partial conversations in their sleep about or surrounding that secret. The person who is supposed to discover the secret is always in the vicinity and happens to hear this conversation.

Must make it very hard to keep any secrets :rofl::wink:

8 Likes