The odd things K-Dramas taught me about Korea!

haha I was just thinking that one of the biggest things we learn from kdramas is that you must NEVER speak in the same room another person is sleeping in. Koreans sleep with their ears wiiiiiide open. And if you want to stare at your perfectly handsome oppa while he’s ‘sleeping’, THINK AGAIN. :joy:
These days if there’s a sleeping character in kdramas I’m forever on my guard, screaming at the other characters who enter the room “HE’s awaaake, he’s DEFINITELY awaaake!!!”

6 Likes

Large scallions :heart_eyes: I want one - a live one where I can just cut from it - what drama was that from? Oh " Holo Love" I tihnk…I’ve wondered if those were scallions…

1 Like

You are VERY good at explaining the things we question in Korean culture , and not the dramas …saying that , I have a question for you:

When people are seated in an office/home environment, the seating positions do not seem to be accidental, the head of household or Chairman/CEO sits at the ‘head’ of the arrangement, and the #2 person to the right …with order of rank moving further down…is that for the dramas or part of the Confucian society ? It is something I notice every time I see people seated, with the exception of the company dinners ,or if a family appears dysfunctional in some way.

3 Likes

Over the years, I’ve received some nicely decorated Japanese chopsticks, Korean chopsticks, Chinese chopsticks, silver spoon & chopsticks set as gifts before. You can certainly use them, but some of them are just too pretty to use.

4 Likes

Yes, what you observed is correct. Remember that dramas reflect the society, albeit with a lot of exaggeration and added “drama” to make it more interesting. Of course it’s not always strictly observed, but the head of the household and CEOs, etc., are typically seated at the head of the table.

3 Likes

Thank you ! Understanding of the culture makes some of the story lines easier to follow.

2 Likes

This is a more of an observation because I don’t mean any disrespect. I have seen Leslie Cheung references in several K dramas that I had to look him up. He must be very loved by his fans that the writers try to honor his memory. :heart: May he rest in peace.

1 Like

Koreans must not have any cavities and have perfect dental health , as when frustrated. they frantically brush their teeth, often walking around with a coffee mug as a portable sink

4 Likes

This is true. I would think they would wear the enamel on their teeth if they do it too much though and that wouldn’t be good either.

2 Likes

Usually there’s not even a mug. They continue brushing their teeth while walking, without rinsing, then they answer the phone and start talking, still with the foam in their mouth… do they gulp it down or what? Where is the natural gagging reflex that comes to normal people when they keep tooth foam in their mouth for too long?

Oh yes, they also gulp pills without water. And they don’t choke.

These two must be special skills that all Korean actors have to learn.

5 Likes

A lot of Koreans do that, and they are not some special skills for actors. I was told to brush for at least 1 to 2 minutes when I was young, but of course I start gagging in about 20 seconds. I personally think 2 minutes is unnecessarily long. And even though I’d much prefer to swallow pills with water, there were times I had swallowed without any water and it works.

5 Likes

LMAO !!! I can see this in my head.

1 Like

I’m a bit surprised that this is even a thing? What is your toothpaste flavour, Coriander? (gag for me!)
Sometime when I brush my teeth and I drift off deep in thought about something or other and brushed for over 2 mins on autopilot and gone round the houses 8 or 9 times making enough foam for the local fire brigade to put out chemical fires with, I still don’t gag. In fact I have never come across anyone family, friends, relatives ever gagging on toothpaste foam.
Yet here are two people in a row suggesting otherwise!

1 Like

It’s a common thing and not just from the foam, but from the brushing process in itself. But some people are more sensitive to it than others and some have times in which they are more sensitive to it than at other times. Some even vomit each time.
It can to some extent help, btw, to use a toothpaste that doesn’t create too much foam (think ecological toothpaste and the like). And don’t brush your teeth when you’re nervous.

5 Likes

Huh, genuinely never came across this before, bit bad that it can be that extreme as to induce vomiting reaction. The odd thing brushing teeth taught me about people.
I think the only time I’ve gagged brushing my teeth was when I brushed too vigorously and the toothbrush slipped and poked near the back of the mouth so that to be expected. (Actors take heed when doing those angry toothbrushing scenes!)

3 Likes

I just use a regular mint flavored toothpaste, but I think I have a pretty bad gag reflex in general. Of the most uncommon things I have a gag reflex for is chewing gum! I can’t chew gums for more than 10 minutes or so or I start gagging. That’s why I don’t like chewing gum and can’t understand why people like chewing gum so much. I’m the only one I know who gags on chewing gum, so I think it’s pretty unusual.

3 Likes

Wow, that’s really fascinating! Wonder what psychology is going on there. Can I open your head and have a peek? :rofl::rofl:
Yet pills are not a problem for you even without water!
I’m one of those people who can’t swallow pills, not even the tiny hay fever size one with gallons of water, much less the standard size capsules. (those are bobsleighs!)
I don’t care how horrible it taste but every tablet and capsules has to be chewed to smithereen before it gets past the throat gatekeeper.
I stopped chewing gum because it just seemed rather pointless in the end, proper sweets and chocolates that are eaten thanks.

4 Likes

:joy::joy: for me its a struggle-- whether I’d rather taste the horrible pill or gulp enough water to keep me full for a week :joy: it usually ends with the pill dissolving while I try to get it down and I lose whichever way I think about it

3 Likes

In Korea , brand loyalty to cars by family is utmost. If one person drives a Maserati , then everyone in the family drives a Maserati, however different models and trim levels , but always , always with the logo covered. It doesn’t even seem strange to see duct tape on a $100,000 car !

2 Likes

Ha Ha, that could be the new status symbol in Korea, “Look, no duct tape”

1 Like