The Viki Experience Across Devices

This function exists, as we have been doing it on our current watch parties here in Discussions. I have never been the host, but @porkypine90_261 and @kdrama2020ali have done it. I assume from their laptops, using the browser version of Viki.

2 Likes

In that case, maybe I missed something. I’ve usually had to end and restart it, but it could be on my end then. :sweat_smile: Whoops!

I wish I could tell you what the trick is. The first time we did it, we were doing ep by ep like you described, but then someone discovered the way to do it with episode continuation. The only drawback is that you then have to start at ep 1 every time, so you have to skip through previous episodes (with the 'next episode button) if you are starting a watch party in the middle of a drama.

2 Likes

In that case, I think there is still room for some UX refinement-- maybe something along the lines of a simplified episode list for the host, where it shows the name of each episode and progress bar in a small scroll view with no per-episode pictures.

1 Like

If however you want feedback from Viki, you need to put these here https://support.viki.com/hc/en-us
either as a request or an open post.

Well, so many things involved, the browser, the screen, your Viki profile where you can choose the setting of the transmission quality.

1 Like

Yep you don’t go episode by episode you have to start the watch party as a whole for the drama then there is a fast forward button

2 Likes

@vivi_1485

I tell you honestly, the mobile version of Viki is incredibly slick and super awesome. Dare I say, it’s even better than the one from Netflix, which has remained really archaic. It reminds me of an old Internet browser from the 90s. Not so with Viki’s app. I just love scrolling and tapping on things without actually watching anything. :sweat_smile: :iphone:

PS: I have a relatively large phone screen. But a tablet is definitely the way to go.

4 Likes

Yeah, I really like the interface. The design is appealing and very cool :heart_eyes: and for me, the TCs give Viki an advantage over NF.

2 Likes

Downloaded Viki on an Android phone recently -_-
There was no option to reply to comments on the channel page!! I could see others’ replies, but I couldn’t reply to anyone. It’s pretty frustrating to search for stuff and realise it isn’t there on the app.

2 Likes

It’s true the app isn’t exactly replete with social features. But what streaming app is?

1 Like

But why would you display replies if you aren’t going to let users reply? I understand that I can’t access the inbox or discussions from the app, but this is just a bug.

1 Like

I like to watch on TV. But unfortunately there is no sorting function by language. That’s too bad.

2 Likes

There are many similar sites in Russia that feature thousands of films from Asia. There is even a voice-over. Unfortunately, you can’t watch them on TV. I would like to see more films here, more progress. I would like to see a new series not every month, but at least every week.

2 Likes

Finally figured out how to take long screenshots on my phone lol.
Now for an updated comparison of the website and mobile(Android) app. Tap to enlarge the pictures.
Top: Mobile app
Bottom: Website

Screenshot_20220306-234649_Viki Screenshot_20220306-231050_Chrome

I’ve said this before, but the app just keeps getting worse and worse. The entire subtitle team has been reduced to one sentence. This could be seen as an advantage or a disadvantage. One one hand, it’s harder for a viewer to complain or troll team members. On the other hand, it is continuing to hide the community behind a wall.

The website has the “Subtitles are on their way - Hold on tight!” banner, while the mobile app doesn’t :expressionless:

On the website channel page, you can do a similar genre search right from the about page, but thats not possible on the app.

They decided to change comments to “Discussions” on the app, and that really is a very wrong word for it, since you can’t reply or see other replies - the entire definition of a discussion.

One thing I like in the mobile app:
The Explore page is easier to use than the website. Everything is nicely sorted and can be accessed efficiently.
Downside: you can’t see the show ratings from the explore page, but the load time is lesser and when you go back, it scrolls to the place you had scrolled to before clicking on the show. Thus, IMO, the explore page is more efficient on the app.

As usual, you can’t access the community from the app, nor can you see your inbox. So there’s no way you can receive PM notifications on your phone.

Overall opinion: The app looks cooler than the website, so it gets points for ease of use and navigation, as well as general aesthetic. However, you can’t really do much on the app. For a volunteer, it’s trash. The website is much more useful.

4 Likes

Now I’m experiencing the flip side:
Unable to unfollow shows on my follow list. :roll_eyes: :expressionless:

3 Likes

Me too, and I thought it was a glitch, or perhaps it just takes longer to “respond”… we’ll see :frowning:

2 Likes

:rofl::laughing::rofl:
If only that was the case! I have no buttons to click, to unfollow shows I no longer follow. The missing buttons are not found on both the app, and website.

1 Like

For me, the iPhone/iPad app has reduced functionality compared to the desktop version. It has almost no community features, except my own reviews, subscribed shows, collections and followed celebrities.

I’m not really disappointed by this personally, as I use the app only in case of travel and only for watching shows. What bothers me more is when the desktop version plays up (disppearing “About Me” page, unresponsive “My Collections” or “My Reviews” feature).

I have the same issue and when going to the help center a bot is trying to help me and can not understand what I am asking about. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

You may already know this. I found out that on my app on my phone I clicked and held onto the show and then a delete button came up to the top. I was then able to delete the shows I no longer wanted to follow.

3 Likes