The "Viki Original" you haven't seen yet

@entwyfhasbeenfound,
Got it! Sorry for any misunderstanding. The gifs stand alone in their meaning, and related to the quote.

About Celtex are we being mandated to use this tool to complete KSKA? :worried: Or, did you just want us to see it? It requires creating an account. I was hoping we’d not have to resort to such finery. Maybe after everyone interested has contributed here, then such a tool could be utilized by you to showcase a completed work? I hope others will chime in on this, unless they stand by what they have already chimed in on. . .that should be respected.

1 Like

Celtex is a tool which I am offering in service of an idea. Nobody besides me has to have an account. It’s free, as far as I can tell, just to look around and see what kinds of benefits it can offer in terms of getting a KSKA script from rough draft to industry-standard formatting.

If a script comes into being through consistent, committed collaboration over time, it can be uploaded to my Celtex account, formatted, saved in a number of formats, and further refined.

And then it can either be saved by contributors as a memento of a good time, or it can be submitted (through some kind of agent presumably) to some Korean production house or network.

Who knows?

Since this thread started, the “group conversation” has pulled back and forth between “We can do this because . . .” and “We can’t do this because . . .”

But there is a difference between being able to do something and wanting to do something.

It’s okay if nobody really wants to do more than (to use a word picture) sit in a friendly little bar and swap stories.

However, it seems that the season for doing that on this thread is winding down.

Fall is always a more hectic time than summer. Interestingly, people’s daily lives get busier the more the world goes dormant.

Maybe the answer is to let it hibernate, in a way, until spring. Or maybe it’s time to recognized that the thread has served a purpose–to make people more aware of their amazing creative potential–and be grateful for that experience and move on.

2 Likes

Agreed!

I wish I could say that I was all in as a contributor. The concept of K-fans writing a K-drama is so intriguing. But alas, despite my tiny additions to the behind-the-scenes story, I am really not a creative. I am an excellent writer (at least according to my college professors), and I can craft interesting and creative sentences and paragraphs, but my proficiency lies in the more concrete - research, analysis, and the like. I wish I had characters and stories floating around in my head, as so many authors say they do. And as good as I can be at creating extensive images in my head based on the writings of other people, if I try to envision a new ‘world’ on my own, my mind is a deep, dark abyss.

@entwyfhasbeenfound, I can tell you have a lot of passion for this project, and I wish that there were so many others like you, because I’d love to see where the story could go, and I am confident I would have bits and pieces to contribute here and there if more creative types were doing the heavy lifting, so to speak, but I also know myself well enough to know I am not the person for the ‘big’ job.

3 Likes

@my_happy_place, :rofl::joy::rofl: You sound like me, except you have an advantage, with a knack for creativity. Mines is more spontaneous. I know this kind of gets in the way of writer types like @ninjas_with_onions, but he’s so accommodating, spinning us in, in the side story.
Hey! Looking forward to your cameo appearances, both in the side story, and in KSKA!

3 Likes

I like the second idea a lot!
Screenshot_20211027-143522_Google
Screenshot_20211027-143505_Google
Screenshot_20211027-143530_Google

AFAIK, the world of creativity exists because people with a variety of skills and interests support it.

I think that maybe one thing that could happen here for the time being (Iet’s call it a continuing education class for Badger Productions Staff) is a discussion of what people think being creative is . . . or is supposed to be. I find it interesting that people will say they are not creative when they very much are.

Research and development and attention to small, concrete details are as important as . . . I don’t know . . . sitting around emoting or whatever.

So, let’s put aside (for a time) any projects, and focus on people and their abilities to be creative.

To begin . . .

If this rings a bell with anyone, I invite you to say how. And I invite you to suggest an article or YouTube video . . . or even a Viki drama . . . that shows ordinary people doing something to basically add spice to life.

(Giphy)

3 Likes

Everyone is creative, but will that creativity sell to a certain targeted audience?

I have an aversion (yea, the L word) to practice, practice, practice, and even edit, edit, edit! However, I do it, because I like the final product to look presentable. :wink:

1 Like

Fair point. It’s not that I don’t have creative bones in my body, but the ones I happen to posses are not really within the ‘author of a story’ realm. I can design and build furniture - I have several of my own pieces in my house. I have an eye for detail and pattern that helps me excel at various types of puzzles - jigsaw puzzles, word puzzles, sudoku, etc. However, when it comes to writing, my lack of creativity is as simple as I fail to see the big picture, much less the little pictures necessary between the beginning and end and who it is that will be taking those steps from point A to point B. Never mind the deeper things like what their motivations are or when to use symbolism instead of description or dialogue to further a plot. If someone handed me a spread sheet with detailed character information, settings, and particular messages to make sure to include in a very specific scene, I could probably give you a decent write-up, but at that point I’m really just arranging a bunch of words that have been handed to me in a basket. Which, by the way, is another skill I excel at. We have a ‘board’ game in which the idea is to draw from a huge supply of cards that have various words on them and then try to use them to create sentences. You get extra points if you use all 10 cards in your hand in one sentence. I am awesome at that game. :smile:

3 Likes

You clearly can do a lot that I would define as creative.

“However, when it comes to writing . . .” you present a strong picture of yourself and what you can and cannot do.

I would ask in turn: if you were what YOU define as creative, what other things would you be able to do and excel at?

(Giphy)

3 Likes

I’m not entirely sure exactly what you are asking in your last question, but I will answer in reference to this specific project

For example, I have had a specific main idea for my own story that I have always wanted to write. It’s been in my brain for years, and I have actively tried to expand on it and try to turn it into something, but I have never gotten past the actual idea (it’s a theme, really, not a specific plotline or outcome). I’ve been able to picture a few settings that would fit, but I literally cannot picture any characters that would need to inhabit this place and theme. Not at all. And that’s just the characters, main or otherwise. Never mind what they would do with this theme - what’s the goal? outcome? preceding events that led up to it? That’s where the deep, dark abyss comes into play. It’s the imaginative process, I guess you could say. I was never a child that was into imaginative play - I like games and sports that have concrete rules and goals and outcomes. It’s why I excelled at math. It’s fixed. it’s predictable. I don’t have to rely on my own original ideas.

4 Likes

Do hear your own voice in your head when you think or visualise ‘scenes’ / things in your mind? (internal dialogue/monologue)

4 Likes

Let’s not get me started on my internal dialogue/monologue. It never stops for one second. It’s kind of funny that you mentioned that because it’s directly related to the ‘theme’ I mentioned in my previous post.

4 Likes

Clearly the cousin of @ninjas_with_onions who is giving the TEDx talk below (in Kuwait) has a few ideas regarding hearing voices in the pursuit of creativity.

However, if there is anyone in the audience who is dreaming up–for instance–falafel ice cream, that is an idea whose time may never come.

2 Likes

Screenshot_20211028-171633_Google
I just thought I’d include the visual of the above :grin: and these links (â— â€żăƒ»)—☆ :point_down:t5:
https://discussions.viki.com/t/what-do-you-use-to-eat-this-your-hand-a-fork-a-spoon-a-knife-chopsticks-or-something-else/38807/134?u=leerla73
https://www.scoopwhoop.com/20-Exotic-Ice-Creams-Thatll-Make-You-Drool-Instantly/

1 Like

(Giphy)

2 Likes

Cheese ice cream from the Philippines.

Sounds like a wonderful dish. I learned last year that supposedly at some point in the middle ages, cows in Europe developed a mutation that made their milk difficult to digest and started causing a lot of sensitivity issues among European populations. Asian populations who drank milk from non-European cows and their relative did not, and still do not, have such problems.

There is an Amish farmer in Bird-in-Hand, Pennsylvania who sells grass-fed raw milk products through a “club” system. Members invite friends who pay a lifetime membership fee so that milk, cheese, cream, etc. are technically sold to private club members and not to the public (thus getting around American legal paranoia). The farm sells water buffalo milk and yak milk as well as cow’s milk made from the milk of “Asian cows.”

A Nepali friend tried some raw milk cheese I bought at one point and said it tasted exactly the way he remembered cheese tasting from when he was a kid in Nepal.

I assume that aged yak cheese from Nepal is slightly different from what Miller’s farm market sells.

I found a course in creativity YouTube that is free; it seems to be aimed at school teachers but seems applicable to anyone. Everyone has heard of Adobe; how many people know about Khan Academy?

2 Likes

Kind of like this post.
Filmed while living in Maryland, they are now living in California.

To keep things on topic, this is a perfect example of what I mean by saying everyone is creative.

Anyone who can cook even one dish that is loved by friends and family members is certainly creative.

Tonight, I rummaged in the refrigerator for something for supper (which I have just finished eating. I have to go shopping tomorrow, but what did my “icebox” give me?

• A frozen sockeye salmon filet of a very beautiful deep orange-y red color.
  • A container of organic brown miso.
  • A bag of mustard greens.

And what else was there in the kitchen?

• A bowl of onions
  • A shaker of garlic powder
  • A shaker of onion powder
  • A small bottle of Tabasco “ghost pepper” sauce
  • A small blue-enamel Dutch oven style soup pot
  • A 3-gallon container of spring water
  • A sharp Victorinox santoku-style knife
  • A cutting board as hard as wood and easy to clean made from paper
  • A blood-red ceramic “Today’s Home” cereal bowl made in, you know, that land that has entirely discombobulated the entire United States for the past three years.

Hmm. I wonder what could possibly emerge as the result of using all of those items? Certainly nothing life sustaining, savory, juicy, warm, and filling. Impossible. And yet . . .

(Giphy)

https://www.korea.net/Events/Overseas/view?articleId=9992

“As part of their Korea at Home campaign, the Embassy of the Republic of Korea and the Korean Cultural Center, together with MIND S-Cool and the BGC Arts Center, have organized a free, live webinar titled The Role of K-Dramas in Sharing and Shaping Culture Beyond Borders. The one-time event consists of a series of talks focused on discussing K-drama production with Korean entertainment industry professionals, featuring dialogue with some of the Philippines’s celebrated entertainment practitioners. The webinar is open to everyone and will be streamed live on November 6-7 from 9:30 AM-12:30 PM on the Korean Cultural Center’s YouTube Channel and BGC Arts Center’s Facebook page.”

There is an old saying, “The devil is in the details.” Meaning that, for a person to do something well, it is often necessary to understand, manage, and make use of, lots of tiny bits of information.

These articles contains some very interesting bits of information about how K-dramas come to the “little screen.”

The popularity of K-dramas in the Philippines is certainly something I did not know about. But more fascinating to me is information about the apparent origin of most K-dramas AND information about the talent pool that production companies draw on.

The “creativity class” question for today is: does the kind of detail shared in the above articles stimulate you to be more creative in your own way when it comes to supporting K-dramas, or does it put a damper on your enthusiasm?

The crisis in many, many K-drama rom-coms comes when some unexpected and challenging details emerge about what is going on in the lives of the ML and FL.

And one of them is that moment when one of the fated lovers discovers that the other one is either richer or much poorer than the other.

“Why did I have to learn this about you? We were so happy and having so much fun! I can’t be with you! I can’t measure up! This ruins everything!”

I am asking myself now:

• Does getting a glimpse behind the scenes ruin everything?
  • What about the implied message that only Korean nationals can write successfully for Korean TV?
  • Are there any actual “F-dramas” (Filipino dramas) on Viki?
  • Why does a discussion of money make it all seem so much less . . . hot?

(Giphy)

(Giphy)

(Giphy)

2 Likes