Thoughts for you/us to ponder

don’t know if this is an ok thing , but here goes

Merry Christmas everyone!

1 Like

Create your own happiness

2 Likes

Nostalgia from “Imperfect Desires” a novel written by XiaoMeeHee

"In Greek, the word ‘Nostalgia’ literally means, ‘the pain from an old wound’. This meaning defines nostalgia perfectly. Even though the word itself seems delicate but the meaning behind it is potent beyond words. It has the ability to act as a pinch of salt on a person’s wounds. Wounds that he seemed to be running from.

The game that Jackson played had managed to scratch the layer of those memories that Darren didn’t dare visit. Not because they were painful but instead because that past seemed so beautiful that it scared him. It was scary just to know that the beautiful past was just past that was lost. And the one in the past was just a memory now.

But even though nostalgia is painful, it’s a seducer that lures us in and gives us no way out. We get so engrossed in feeling that pain that it becomes a drug. One which we can’t live without anymore. Perhaps, that was one of the reasons Darren couldn’t bring himself to forget anything about Chen Xiu."

[…]

"Nostalgia is defined as a sentimental or wistful yearning for the happiness felt in a former place, time or situation. But nostalgia is also defined as denial - denial of the painful present.

Coming back to the city she grew up in, Xiu was in dilemma. Her inner self was in a conflict over whether she was supposed to feel any nostalgia? Especially when her present was so much more beautiful than the past? But she couldn’t possibly deny that she had some level of attachment to this place. This city had seen the glory of Chen Xiu and her downfall as well.

This city had seen her laughing, crying, struggling with her mental health, her depression, her loneliness."

From Wikipedia:

The word nostalgia is learned formation of a Greek compound, consisting of νόστος ( nóstos ), meaning “homecoming”, a Homeric word, and ἄλγος ( álgos ), meaning “pain” or “ache”.

2 Likes

1 Like

I know I could have put this on laugh linkls, but thought it would be best here. I have heard this story when I was a little girl

1 Like

I don’t know what to make out of it, Switzerland has little snow, right now there are green pastures and flying bees and even mosquitoes in December :open_mouth:
while in New Hampshire ( also called Switzerland of America) was yesterday
a snow storm of 2 feet or more snow. :snowman_with_snow:
Both places are on close similar latitude yet such difference. :weary:

2 Likes

heres something that got my interest, I hope you think the same way

We were the only family with children in the restaurant. I sat Erik in a high chair and noticed everyone was quietly sitting and talking. Suddenly, Erik squealed with glee and said, ‘Hi.’ He pounded his fat baby hands on the high chair tray. His eyes were crinkled in laughter and his mouth was bared in a toothless grin, as he wriggled and giggled with merriment.

I looked around and saw the source of his merriment. It was a man whose pants were baggy with a zipper at half-mast and his toes poked out of would-be shoes. His shirt was dirty and his hair was uncombed and unwashed. His whiskers were too short to be called a beard and his nose was so varicose it looked like a road map.

We were too far from him to smell, but I was sure he smelled… His hands waved and flapped on loose wrists… ‘Hi there, baby; hi there, big boy. I see ya, buster,’ the man said to Erik.

My husband and I exchanged looks, ‘What do we do?’

Erik continued to laugh and answer, ‘Hi.’

Everyone in the restaurant noticed and looked at us and then at the man. The old geezer was creating a nuisance with my beautiful baby. Our meal came and the man began shouting from across the room, ‘Do ya patty cake? Do you know peek-a-boo? Hey, look, he knows peek- a-boo.’

Nobody thought the old man was cute. He was obviously drunk. My husband and I were embarrassed. We ate in silence; all except for Erik, who was running through his repertoire for the admiring skid-row bum, who in turn, reciprocated with his cute comments.

We finally got through the meal and headed for the door. My husband went to pay the check and told me to meet him in the parking lot. The old man sat poised between me and the door. ‘Lord, just let me out of here before he speaks to me or Erik,’ I prayed. As I drew closer to the man, I turned my back trying to sidestep him and avoid any air he might be breathing. As I did, Erik leaned over my arm, reaching with both arms in a baby’s ‘pick-me-up’ position. Before I could stop him, Erik had propelled himself from my arms to the man.

Suddenly a very old smelly man and a very young baby consummated their love and kinship. Erik in an act of total trust, love, and submission laid his tiny head upon the man’s ragged shoulder. The man’s eyes closed, and I saw tears hover beneath his lashes. His aged hands full of grime, pain, and hard labor, cradled my baby’s bottom and stroked his back. No two beings have ever loved so deeply for so short a time.

I stood awestruck. The old man rocked and cradled Erik in his arms and his eyes opened and set squarely on mine. He said in a firm commanding voice, ‘You take care of this baby.’

Somehow I managed, ‘I will,’ from a throat that contained a stone.

He pried Erik from his chest, lovingly and longingly, as though he were in pain. I received my baby, and the man said, ‘God bless you, ma’am, you’ve given me my Christmas gift.’

I said nothing more than a muttered thanks. With Erik in my arms, I ran for the car. My husband was wondering why I was crying and holding Erik so tightly, and why I was saying, ‘My God, my God, forgive me.’

I had just witnessed Christ’s love shown through the innocence of a tiny child who saw no sin, who made no judgment; a child who saw a soul, and a mother who saw a suit of clothes. I was a Christian who was blind, holding a child who was not… I felt it was God asking, ‘Are you willing to share your son for a moment?’ when He shared His for all eternity. How did God feel when he put his baby in our arms 2000 years ago.

The ragged old man, unwittingly, had reminded me, ‘To enter the Kingdom of God , we must become as little children.’

If this has blessed you, please bless others by sending it on. Sometimes, it takes a child to remind us of what is really important. We must always remember who we are, where we came from and, most importantly, how we feel about others. The clothes on your back or the car that you drive or the house that you live in does not define you at all; it is how you treat your fellow man that identifies who you are.

This one is a keeper.

‘It is better to be liked for the true you, than to be loved for who people think you are…’(Amen! )

1 Like

@frustratedwriter Mary, so true that we need a constant reminder what really matters in our life, God bless you, you have given us all here another light of joy and hope :heart: :hugs:

1 Like

thank you, IO do try to do a bunch mof uplifting stuff here for us thats homebound and all the rest.

1 Like

Getting your hind end tanned is termed physical and covert sexual abuse in Canada.

1 Like

now today here in USA usually called child abuse

Been to an NFL (National Football League) game? No, just hockey

Been to Canada? Live here.

Visited Florida? Many times

Visited Mexico? Once

Visited Europe? Several countries

Visited Vegas? Yes

Visited Los Angeles? Many times

Eaten alone at a restaurant? No

Danced in the rain? In Fiji it’s called a rain bath.

Gone skinny dipping? When I was a baby and toddler, my mother took me swimming in Fiji daily and had no swimsuit for me.

Ability to read music? Yes

Rode a motorcycle? Does an ATV (all terrain vehicle) count?

Ridden a horse ? Yes

Stayed in a hospital? Yes

Been snow / water skiing? Snow skiing: many times. Water skiing: tried but I couldn’t stand properly and kept falling!

Been to Disney World or Disney Land? Both many times.

Been to any other theme parks? To Universal, Knott’s Berry Farm, Six Flags Magic Mountain, PNE Playland, Edmonton Amusement Park.

Slept outside? Camping

Driven a stick shift? No

Ridden in an 18 wheeler? No

Eaten Escargot? No

Been on a cruise? Yes

Run out of gas? Yes

Been on TV? Yes, on a town talk show about healthy cooking.

Eaten Sushi? I had to give up salt and sugar so now I make my own.

Eaten Chocolate covered ants? No

Went zip-lining? Small one in a park

Scuba diving? Only snorkeling. My grandma and cousins sea dived for huge conches by the coral reef without scuba gear.

Mountain climbing? Yes, as a youth

Cave hunting? In Czechland.

Genealogy research? No

Exploring cemeteries? Walked through it

Historical societies? No

1 Like

I like that one!!

1 Like

I thought someone would like this

3 Likes

3 Likes

1 Like