Time to flood viki support with complaints

I have just sent the following letter to various people at “viki support”. Please write to whomever and lodge a complaint until they allow selection in any of 200 languages and allow the uploading of cover pages in any language.
Recently, the lame engineering staff limited the languages a user could choose on the main page at viki on the bottom of the page. Apparently this limitation is not only for viewers but also for volunteers. I’m the Channel Manager of upcoming drama Tower of Babel (it starts this weekend). The Serbian moderator tells me when she goes to the cover page function for moderators, she cannot choose Serbian as the language for her proposed cover page for Serbian users. Can you please bring this urgent problem to whomever made the unwise decision to limit language choice. Didn’t viki start with the premise that it would be a site “for enterntaiment without borders” – the language choices have been reduced from 200 to about ten. What are you planning to do with the dramas such as My Love fro a Star or Boys over flowers which have been subtitled in about Fifty languages.

See also: https://discussions.viki.com/t/cover-page-off/22137

When I took my first IT course before most of your parents were born back in 1963, the professor said that most IT people are not user-friendly and the premise still holds true!!! I was at the University of Illinois which at the time possessed the world’s largest and fastest computer and I learned to program on it. PLEASE have the idiots who put in this restriction fix it so that the less common languages can put up their work.

The Serbian moderator also asked whether all the prior covers she and other less common language moderators have uploaded over the past ten years have disappeared? Please don’t say yes –

PS . – The automated response system for QC@viki is sending me responses in Chinese which unfortunately is limited to me to the numbers and some pretty common words like sun, moon, etc and whatever else stuck with me after I took a hanja class. I have complained for several years about the request support function switching to other languages on it’s own. Why Chinese today is beyond me.

PPS
This is the response one of my “other language” moderators received today about inability to upload her cover page in her language:
Dear ******
Thank you for writing the help center. Unfortunately we have made some changes recently where we cannot change the cover pages unless it is the language of:
English
Portuguese
Spanish
Japanese
French
Korean
Chinese (Traditional)
Chinese (Simplified)
German
Italian

We appreciate your understanding!

Regards,
Sean
Viki Community Team

Viki Support|

ISN’T THIS EXASPERATING? IS THIS THE “SOON” RESPONSE WE WERE PROMISED?

6 Likes

Oh, that’s terrible !!

1 Like

Hi. We are already fighting this fight here

https://discussions.viki.com/t/reset-the-language-selection-icon-for-the-site-as-before-or-include-other-languages-in-the-languages-of-the-icon-choose-your-language/22008

…and here:

https://support.viki.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360024913433-Option-to-have-the-other-languages-on-Viki-com-content-removed

Camille’s response was that they are planing to install an option to have the entire site (not just the content) in ALL the languages.

4 Likes

By devilish Joy my page disappeared within one day.
I can add it again, but nothing happens, the page is not there.

My site settings are always in german, I do the same like always and nothing. It shows nothing and it get on my nerves. Also that we can’t write the about for the dramas we sub.

Most German words and the abouts from the dramas are so >___<
So I feel this Mod and many others too

3 Likes

@Bozoli – I wrote to them a while back about the problem in limiting the languages a viewer could choose on the main page And I did get a response that they were working on it. Why would it take weeks to fix the problem? All they need to do is reverse the change which was thoughtlessly made in the first place. What on earth were they intending by limiting the language selections? If I were like the viewers who freely use colorful language in timed comments, I would use such language now.

3 Likes

Previously the site itself (the tabs, the menus etc) were only in those 10 languages. And only the description of the drama/movie, the title, and the %age translated were truly encompassing all the languages. What if they are now trying to translate everything to all the languages, the whole site from top to bottom?

I could think of one important thing - increasing the stability of the site itself by simplifying the code. But that would be stomping over the biggest principle Viki has - the internationalism.

This was my first thought, too. During the last weeks, every time I wanted to change the language, the language of the page content changed too, but very random. I went from German to English and the main page was in Chinese. I changed back to English and the main page was in Italian.

My last coverpage for “Never Gone” is still there (an unintended wordplay^^), but changes on the coverpage won’t be saved for hours, sometimes days.

And I know, that we can’t provide a German title and synopsis anymore, this will be provided by Viki. We can only make suggestions and point out mistakes made by the paid Viki staff translators. But I wonder, why for example the German title and synopsis for “Touch Your Heart” was added, but we are still waiting for the ones of “The Crowned Clown”. This affects the creation of the German coverpage, I don’t want to wait for weeks, but I don’t want to change title and synopsis later, with the software I use it’s not done with one mouseclick.

1 Like

Por favor, terminan de traducir la serie llamada Historia del palacio yanxi Capitulo 53 en ESPAÑOL. quien podra hacerlo TT estoy algo desesperada :smiley:

Hi please write to camille she is from the staff of viki.

le envio un correo al nombre de CAMILLE, correcto?? y gracias por responder. :smiley: :slight_smile:

Tickets have been more and more delayed in their answer because more and more people fill tickets.
I hope that people could fill a ticket if the ticket is about a matter or a subject that is personal or unique.

If too many people fill a ticket for the same subject, not only it will delay the solution for personal or unique matters such as bugs on viki tools or scripts missing, not only for the people who read it, it’s just not nice and time consuming. They could have read and answered another ticket that you or anyone else have filled and we would be less complaining about the delay. But we’re not helping.

My tickets have been delayed by 10 d-15 d-1 month and remain open. A question, waiting, an answer, my answer, waiting.
And it’s not something that someone else could fill for me, it’s about scripts missing or bugs in volunteer tools or report. And I know already that my tickets will be even more delayed… and I must not be the only one, right?

So please, don’t flood tickets for the same subject, write on a topic like this one or the topic provided above, it’s winning-winning for everyone:

https://support.viki.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360024913433-Option-to-have-the-other-languages-on-Viki-com-content-removed

I hope that for this matter, people could be more thoughtful about the effects they have on someone’s else tickets or other problems that also need that someone reads them and finds a solution (and that Viki could recruit some more people). We’re a community.

Hope the languages will be back soon.

3 Likes

No, envie al gestor de canal o al moderador espanol. Camille no es responsible de los subtitulos en espanol. No puede dar una respuesta satisfactoria porque no es en el equipo de traduccion.

Puede encontrar al gestor de canal o al moderador en la pagina principal del drama “EQUIPO DE SUBTITULACIÓN”.

On the main page of channel you can click on the volunteers, you will find the moderators of all languages and the one for Spanish. Contact her/him first before contacting Viki staff, she/him might be short of subbers, if you ask, you might get to know subtitles are not as fast as you wish them to be.

@Piranna-- But I am one of the people who wrote a while back to the staff about the problem and I too got a prompt response from a community support person. But there has been no change and I know very well that community support is not able to solve this problem – it’s the tech staff which created the problem and it’s the tech staff who can solve it too. My reasoning is that if there is a multitude of complaints about the same solvable problem, then the engineers will solve the problem. I know very well that the tech support, if aware of the urgency of a problem can resolve it rapidly. For example in the past, all moderators could delete anyone’s subtitles. This was fine because the moderators were intelligent people. Then along came an idiot who deleted all the subtitles in a K drama which was extremely hard to subtitle – it dealt with political legal issues and we had wonderful subbers who subbed episode 1. A newbie moderator permanently deleted all the subs completed thus far in the first episode in every language which was already subbed. Within 48 hours after being notified of the problem, the tech staff made it impossible to delete all subs except for the Channel Manager.
I do sympathize with the community support people as they are on the “front lines” of dealing with both volunteers and viewers and their numbers have not increased over the years – they potentially are serving millions of clients. But they cannot solve a problem which is part of how the viki site operates. All the community support people can do in this situation is tell tech support about a problem. (And I do know in the past, the engineering staff from time to time changed the program and the community support people aren’t told in advance of the upcoming change.) .
By the way, I had a friend who can read Chinese go into by request history and choose English so I can look at my old requests again. I see I complained about a random switching of language for the viki site for me in February, 2016, in which I sent screenshots – so now it’s three years since I wrote about the problem which is marked Solved on my history page.

I just hope that people won’t flood tickets for the same subject, maybe it solves 1 problem, but if it causes a lot of other unique problems not to be solved at the same time, if we talk about the quantity of solved problems or solved tickets…

There are other ways that everyone used, making multiple post here or a post in the viki assistance forum, like, etc.
Why not making a poll with yes/no or contact the audience with this poll and post the results somewhere.
There are other ways to be heard from Viki and that don’t impact other volunteers requests.
It’s important that we have the site in multiple languages and it’s also important that other requests are also solved, right?

So taking into consideration other requests, I don’t flood them asking for the same scripts or reporting, but I can take some news after a while to know if there’s some progress.

Yes, I rejoice what you say, the person who reads our complains is not necessarily the one who’s responsible, so venting out our anger on people who don’t deserve it or didn’t have something to do with the changes…

I think as volunteers, we have all lived this in our life, audience complaining about faster subs or editing. The people who read our posts are not so much different from us, they have to read our complains + hundreds of complains from the audience x 20 languages x 1K dramas. Imagine you have to answer to this every day, it’s just tiring, we all know.
Even if contrary to us, it’s a job, it’s not an easy job to keep calm, whereas we are free to not answer, to ignore or to vent out our anger in our answer, too. They’re not as free as we are.
So the sympathy I have for volunteers who try to answer audience pleas, I also have the same sympathy for the one who has to read my ticket and I have even more sympathy for them if they have to do it every day and with people who might overstep the boundaries of being respectful.
If I know the reader doesn’t deserve my wrath and is from the front office and not the back office or the tech department or the ones who decided to remove languages, why would I vent out my frustration on this person/the wrong department? I’m mistaken.
But if I’m angry, I make sure I’m venting out on the right person.

As Irmar would say, it’s not that the request is not legit or right or wrong, it’s the way we convey it, it’s the way we ask things or reply, same for the audience, same for volunteers.

All in all, I think we want the same thing (the languages back) and we have the same opinion about the front office’s not being the ones who are responsible, but we would do it differently to obtain what we want.

1 Like

So it was that old. I sent my request about that same problem 10 months ago. Languages switched after I clicked on Disqus messages. They also changed randomly to French, Spanish, Chinese and what not, every time I opened Help Center.
Quite a lot of messages were exchanged, including screenshots and also a HAR file (don’t ask me to explain what it is, I barely understood it then, it’s a sort of recording found in Developer Tools). The request is still marked open, thankfully.

This is the response one of my “other language” moderators received today about inability to upload her cover page in her language:
Dear ******
Thank you for writing the help center. Unfortunately we have made some changes recently where we cannot change the cover pages unless it is the language of:
English
Portuguese
Spanish
Japanese
French
Korean
Chinese (Traditional)
Chinese (Simplified)
German
Italian

We appreciate your understanding!

Regards,
Sean
Viki Community Team

Viki Support|

ISN’T THIS EXASPERATING? IS THIS THE “SOON” RESPONSE WE WERE PROMISED?

2 Likes

no way! that´s… wow. speechless -.-

2 Likes

I have just seen this post :frowning:
Can VIKI PLEASE bring “All languages” selection content for the site back as it was before? :tired_face: They wouldn’t have touched that option unless they had communicated it to the community. :grimacing: I’m sure this is affecting a lot of current volunteers willing to help.

Since I only contribute to Viki in English, I haven’t noticed this before even though I know 2 other languages. But WHAT IF I know Dutch, Turkish or Polish and I want to contribute for those languages. Then I won’t be able to see the progress of subbing for any episode, the page design, the title or the about section of a channel? How come limiting it to 10 languages only?
Isn’t VIKI supposed to be Fun in Any Language, why only 10 languages since there are more languages out there willing to help this community grow… :sob: VIKI, you’re definitely limiting the fun for the other language speakers out your 10 language list. :astonished:

Let’s not forget that contributing to Viki is not only segmenting, subbing, translating or editing. We also like designing cover pages for the fans, now not all languages will be able to do that anymore?

Hope Viki reconsiders this and brings the all languages content option back soon hopefully.

Hang in there and fighting for the other 202 language speakers out there!

I just read this: :expressionless:
https://support.viki.com/hc/en-us/articles/200138704-How-do-I-change-the-website-and-subtitle-language-

3 Likes

Now you can again see the progress in percentages for each episode, but the title, the description, and the wall still cannot be seen in other languages, asides from those ten.

1 Like