[Viki Community] March 2022 Updates (Video Notification Tool)

SITE UPDATES:

Video Release Notifications

A brand new feature is coming soon that will help Channel Teams know when videos are ready and available to be worked on! Relevant Channel Team members will receive an inbox notification when videos are released. This feature will launch Mar. 24 (PDT).

What is it and how will it work?

Whenever a video from a new on-air title is uploaded and made available, the relevant Channel Team members will receive an inbox message.

Notification messages will be sent out for:*

• Episodes, trailers, and clips for shows
  • Movies

*This will only apply to new on-air titles and movies, and not library titles.

Who will receive the notification?

Channel Managers, Segmenters, English Moderators, and the All Language Moderators for the respective Channel Team.

These Channel Team members will receive an automated group message like the one seen below:

notify-qc-inbox

The notification message will include relevant information such as title, episode number, and direct links to the subtitle editor and segment timer.

Note: For every new video released, a separate group chat and message will be created. This will also ensure that all relevant members are always up to date, in case new Channel Team members are added.

Will we be able to share feedback?

Yes! A link for feedback will be included on all the notification messages for at least 2 months. The team would appreciate hearing your thoughts, suggestions, and feedback!

Have any additional questions about this feature? Let us know! :smiley:

Love,
The Viki Community Team

23 Likes

I have a small question about this feature: When it comes available for the teams to work on, is it released for viewing, by non team members, right away as well?

4 Likes

I guess not but i think it is a good idea, that way Viki is somehow participating and interacting with volunteers. Even if it is automated :joy:

5 Likes

Ohh this function is going to be reeeeeally useful!

3 Likes

Thank you for this feature. I really like the idea. However, I have a couple of questions.

What is “on-air” title here? Titles that are actually currently airing in their home countries or titles that have already aired years ago and are just coming on Viki?
If it’s the former, will we get separate messages for separate episodes? Chinese dramas often release 4 episodes a day, will we get 4 different messages or a single message with links to all 4 episodes?
If it’s the latter, will we be bombarded with messages? If all 40 episodes of a show release on Viki at the same time, will we get 40 messages?

Will we be able to reply to the message?

Will the message land on “messages” or in “announcement” in Inbox?

8 Likes

Wow, you did what I’d suggested in the survey. Amazing, good job❤

2 Likes

Moving forward, we would also like a button for the Chief English Editor to press when the episode is ready for OLs. This would automatically inform OL mods they can proceed with translation.

Additionally, it will be a good indication of project progress, helping CMs choose their new OL mods. If an applicant for a new mod position is a mod in a series where English is lagging (hasn’t been released in ages to OLs) but all episodes are at 100%, a CM appraising this applicant might get the wrong impression that the OL mod has abandoned one of their previous projects.

5 Likes

This message of OL mods would be useful. For us mods it would be a changement and also less work for all English editors that are very busy working on many projects. It’s not easy for them. I agree with the subject of maybe it would make misunderstanding about some OL work.

3 Likes

Why? She/he can send a message and give additional information where needed. A button would only create distance.
And what if she/he accidentally clicks on the button?

It’s not about teamwork. Although it’s not much of a teamwork either to just read those notifications and do your job.

It’s about having an electronic mark to say up to this-and-this episode the English is ready for OLs in this drama.

That leaves a good basis to build an automatic system where you can see if a Mod really can’t translate a series because English is not released or the Mod is not moving forward with the project for months on their own accord.

Well, same as clicking a Send button on the group message for OL mods, one will have to just be careful.

1 Like

A message first needs to be written. The button you are talking about… where would it even be?
In any case, it would make Viki less human and I don’t see the benefits.

In the Manage Channel, of course.

There is one major benefit, as I explained.

March 24 (PDT) came and went, but I don’t see this feature yet.
I guess this launch has been delayed…:thinking:

1 Like

Hi everyone, thank you for your questions!

What is “on-air” title here? Titles that are actually currently airing in their home countries or titles that have already aired years ago and are just coming on Viki?

That’s a great question! “On-Air” means that the content is a newly released show on Viki, and individual episodes will become available only after they have been aired and released in their origin country.

If it’s the former, will we get separate messages for separate episodes? Chinese dramas often release 4 episodes a day. Thus, will we get 4 different messages or a single message with links to all 4 episodes?

4 different messages will be sent out. This is because each episode will trigger a new notification. The team that built this feature did take into consideration such types of situations, as they understand that episode release schedules can vary from show to show. This is only the first version of the video release notification feature, and they are actively looking for feedback for what to improve and prioritize for later versions. Please feel free to share your feedback and suggestions for future versions on the feedback link provided on the notification messages!

If it’s the latter, will we be bombarded with messages? If all 40 episodes of a show are released on Viki at the same time, will we get 40 messages?

That is why the video notification tool is limited to on-air titles only. This was based on research by the team that it is more common for library titles to release large numbers of episodes at once, vs. on-air titles. The video notification tool project’s team is aware of this and is still figuring out the best way to build this into future improvements, without spamming people.

Will we be able to reply to the message?

Yes, all contributors that are included in the group message can reply. The viki_notification account is not monitored by Viki staff, and is only used for sending out these automated messages.

Will the message land on “messages” or in “announcement” in Inbox?

The notification messages will go to the Messages tab in your inbox.

We hope this helps answer your questions! The team that worked on this feature look forward to your thoughts and feedback!

Best,
Viki Community Team

8 Likes

What about the members that don’t receive email notifications? It’s been months since I no longer receive email notifications.

3 Likes

I don’t like the feature, you don’t receive a notification on your e-mail, it’s only more trash to your inbox. But thank you for your efforts, I’m sure it demanded some time and work do be done. You know what would be really helpful? If we could mass delete messages in our inbox.

6 Likes

A search function in our inbox would also be helpful.

4 Likes

Content that are new on Viki. So for old dramas that Viki get the license later ? I mean some dramas are new on Viki but only because Viki get it nowadays (but the drama has been aired years ago). But in this case, when the drama arrives in Viki, it’s on the new content’s section of Viki. So ? It’s still considered as new content ? And those kind of dramas get all their episodes once on Viki. Well …

3 Likes