[Viki Community] New restrictions for assigned languages

It would be much more important that the CS can lock the segment timer when the QC is finished. The moderator or language editor can lock the editor when the subtitles are finished. However, the segments can still be changed. That simply makes no sense.

8 Likes

Wow, these changes are really awful to seggers, we can’t do a faster and proof error A&C w/o the access to the languages through the bulk, now we have to change again and again the language in the timer to every language we need to make the A&C, something we can finish in 20~30 minutes now takes more than an hour.

6 Likes

You will be temporarily added as All Language & Segmenter, otherwise you will not be able to work properly. When the drama is over or Viki has another solution, the segmenters will be removed as All Language again.
The CS will arrange this with the CMs accordingly.

8 Likes

É isso que dá quando os funcionários não sabem como funciona a própria plataforma :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

We could also add all seggers as Spanish, English, French, and Portuguese subbers… :thinking: :upside_down_face:
At least, it’s something the CS can do without waiting for the CM.

4 Likes

I OBJECT! LOUDLY!

You have CRIPPLED the segmenters! We can NOT combine subtitles without this access! We do not WRITE subs. We fix badly formatted segments and paste the subs together!

You did not WANT non-moderator segmenters to have ALL LANGUAGES access. How in the world do you expect us to do our work!?!

I SUGGEST SEGMENTERS GO ON STRIKE UNTIL THIS IS RESOLVED PROPERLY!

@brendas
@segmenters

12 Likes

Hi, everyone. We just wanted to quickly announce that what happened with the Bulk Translator was not expected as Segmenters were not supposed to be impacted by these updates. We have since rolled back the changes so Segmenters can continue operating as before while the team looks into what happened. We are very sorry for any disruption this may have caused today. We also greatly appreciate everyone’s patience and understanding as we look into this matter!!

We will keep you updated as we learn more!

24 Likes

Thank you for your help in solving the issue.

11 Likes

Thank you for your ongoing support, @bjohnsonwong ! :pray:

6 Likes

Thank you so much! @brendas @bjohnsonwong

5 Likes

Thank you, @crimac :heart: Our apologies if you were one of those affected today!

6 Likes

@brendas Nah, no need to apologize, Brenda. :heart: (Bev) BJW is my CS, she handled everything smoothly as always, and all seggers followed her lead. We figured you guys would fix it ASAP. Great job!

5 Likes

Why are you all thanking viki personnel for fixing a problem which did not exist until they instituted an obviously not well thought out change? Obviously brenda is not a tech person who caused the problem - but she communicated the problem to the techs who caused the problem so she should be thanked but no one on the viki tech staff deserves thanks. In the very distant past, some of us were asked about how the segging and subbing functions could be improved, were told in advance about proposed changes and then were asked to beta test it. Now the techs have these “bright”(yeah, right) ideas and then implement them and then have to fix the problems they didn’t foresee.
Problem: Poor segmenting – Who is doing the segmenting of the raw videos now? Viki staff.
Whose idea was it to allow any viki paid subber to segment without any idea about the principles of good segmenting? Viki staff
Whose idea was it to pre-sub in multiple languages so that if a segment needed to split or merged, multiple languages would have to be preserved? viki staff
An old engingeering saying: “If it ain’t broken, don’t fix it.”

9 Likes

What a chaos, what is wrong with Viki as company? On one hand they want volunteers to work, today even faster than before, on the other hand they are replacing and restricting them. I’m somewhat saddened at what I’m seeing every few months another restriction… :thinking::face_with_diagonal_mouth: :disappointed_relieved:

5 Likes

I suppose they were just following orders and probably under a lot of pressure to implement the changes ASAP.
I agree that Viki has a tendency to act before they think, but we can’t randomly blame individual workers who are just cogs in the wheel. And they did solve the issue within 24 hours.

7 Likes

A new “V-dance”? Hmmm…Why not communicate with a small focus/feedback group first, beta test it, then implement the launch? I’m sure there are tons of willing, competent and smart contributors in the Contributor Fam who’d gladly help. Particularly the very active ones who labor with lots of love and competency, day in and day out.

Be that as it may, please continue to make contributing easier and more fulfilling for contributors.
:muscle: :muscle: :muscle:

7 Likes

Somehow, I initially read “Farm.” :woman_farmer:t3: :rofl:

4 Likes

Thank you @brendas!

2 Likes

I don’t understand, if I work as a sub and moderator of Spanish and Thai will I have problems to change language? :upside_down_face:

Not anymore. :slight_smile: