[Viki Community Team] February 2021 Updates - Editor Role Coming Soon!

No, but you can appoint someone as Editor in another language.

1 Like

Thatā€™s right, but why should any moderator add someone for the wrong language?

You mean it can be deliberately abused. Thatā€™s a different conversation. There are many ways Vikiā€™s system can be abused.

I just tried adding a friend into a language Iā€™m not a Moderator for. It doesnā€™t work. In the Manage team tab, she is there. But the changes are not saved and visible on the project page.

To be frank, I havenā€™t tried this. I just went to some shows that I edited and added myself and since I was there I also added the other editors. (the work is just started, it will take me days to do this for all the shows)

And now we are faced with the shortcomings of the Contributions page of each one of us.
If you choose ā€œshow by roleā€ then editor is waaay down, you have to go through several pages to find it. If you donā€™t choose any filter (just ā€œAllā€), then the order is completely random.
For instance, if I am in a show with four different capacities (English moderator, Italian moderator, English editor, Italian editor), these will often show on different pages.
Why canā€™t all the contributions for a show be grouped together?
Not to mention the usual problem, of the subtitles all added up. If in a show I am both English and Italian moderator (happens very frequently), in both instances the number of contributions is the total for the two languages, for instance 6421 subs for English and 6421 subs for Italian. But itā€™s not true, 6421 is the total of both. Couldnā€™t they be separated? Because in reality I could, theoretically, have done 6421 in English and zero in Italian. There is no way of finding out from my Contributions page.
Of course itā€™s not the only problem of that mess of a page, when projects are presented in random order, and not in chronological order, as would be logical.

1 Like

From what I gather, one should not be both a Moderator and an Editor in the same language. Itā€™s either-or.

I completely agree with the criticism of the User projects page. There should be more sorting choices, perhaps even multiple tabs, like in the Team tab on the channel page.

2 Likes

This is not practical at all. According to this, the Chief Editor is never credited as an editor, although he or she is the chief of all editors? Absurd!

1 Like

I think, this is just a suggestion, how to add the TE.
If a moderator shouldnā€™t be the editor as well, we would have a big problem concerning German edits, because we have so few editors and usually these few are TE, GE and CE in one person.

I meant shouldnā€™t be both moderator and editor when assigning roles. Of course the moderator should also edit :blush:

Most people see these changes as ā€œnow Iā€™m finally going to get the title of English Editorā€.

But actually, itā€™s not about the title at all (although that would be helpful when creating an English team).

Itā€™s about permissions. The English Moderator has more permissions (more ā€œpowerā€, so to speak) than an English Editor. And an All Language Moderator has more permissions than an English Moderator.

Speaking of which, contribution count should be taken away from channel managers in the contributions page. Practically, one does not make any contribution as a CM. I can be a CM, OL mod, English mod, OL editor and English editor in the same show. And when I make an OL subtitle, that goes to OL mod/editor, I make an English subtitle, that goes to English mod/editor.
Also counting segmenter position for CMs who also contribute as segmenters.
Any contribution done in one channel by a CM is not done as a CM.
Added a subtitle? Thatā€™s by a subtitler, editor or moderator.
Made a segment? Thatā€™s by a segmenter or All Languages mod.

I guess, what I am trying to convey is clear :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

It IS about the title. So that people can know which people routinely edit. Who are the editors in Viki. Which moderators also edit and which donā€™t. In every show there is an English moderators who doesnā€™t edit. What that English mod actually doesā€¦ what, I havenā€™t been able to ascertain, in all those five years Iā€™ve been here. Heā€™s like the President of European countries, mostly decorative. Sends out messages that the show is ready to be segmented or translated and maybe thank you cards. But the CM can very well do that, s/he hasnā€™t anything else to do once the show has started, apart from making sure that everyone is indeed translating and not slacking.

1 Like

What I meant was that the latest changes donā€™t concern themselves with the issue of finding the right person for the right job in the English team. You can clearly see that those deciding on the new Viki-website role of Editor were likely computer engineers, and not people who contribute on Viki and understand the process behind English translation and editing.

Their mission was to create another role. But they made it too restricted in permissions. So much so, that a person still has to be an English Mod or All Language Mod to be able to do what Chief Eng. Editor should do.

So, they lack understanding that we actually need three Eng. Editor roles.

Chief E. Editor (new) - with almost the same permissions as an All Language Mod. No need to have the permission to add team members in my opinion.
GE (new) - same permissions as the TE
TE (renamed Editor role)

Why isnā€™t English Moderator in effect Chief English Editor? This is weird.

Iā€™m totally onboard with you and irmar here. The contribution count is misguiding when a person has more than one role in the team.

1 Like

Butā€¦ All moderators have the permission to add team members. The English Chief Editor is the one who chooses the English subbers, the TE and the GE. Therefore he has to have that permission! He also often shifts segments, deletes and merges. So he definitely has to have the most permissions, much more than OL moderators, not less! And thatā€™s why we always make him ā€œAll Languages moderatorā€.
Maybe you were thinking of OL editors, who are little more than subbers, and actually need no permissions except opening and closing episodes. That too is not essential, as the Language moderator can open and close it for him (in practice, keep them open for quite some time, almost until the end of the drama if itā€™s a 16-ep one).

1 Like

Oh, sorry, I meant Moderators of other languagesā€¦

1 Like

The guidelines are changing from one day to the next.

At this point Editors for other languages are officially in function. And the Moderator of that language can add them.

And there is additional news:

(found on: https://support.viki.com/hc/en-us/articles/360062448313/)

ā€¦which is in opposition to:

(found on: https://support.viki.com/hc/en-us/articles/360063029813-How-do-I-assign-the-right-role-for-each-editor-type-)

I need Viki to make up their minds. Do we go for double roles in the team for CE and GE? I would advise against it until the three different editor positions are official.

Hi! I havenā€™t got my Gold QC badge yet. I can wait a little more, but I have seen that other contributors already have theirs. Does anyone else have the same problem or is it just me?

2 Likes

Yep meā€¦ and in another topic someone said, to file a ticket at the Help Center and they will apply it manuallyā€¦ I mentioned it to @jeslynl but perhaps they are momentarily busy, so Iā€™ll give them a few days before filing a ticket.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve filed a request and Iā€™m waiting for an answer. Itā€™ll probably take some time since I believe theyā€™re quite busy.

1 Like

Itā€™s march 4 today, letā€™s see what gift we will get by tomorrow or will they be late again?

9 Likes

@jeslynl Iā€™ve been a Gold QC since Viki started ranksā€¦ I did NOT receive my Gold QC 2020 nor have I received my quarterly gift. This is not the first time that Viki has slighted meā€¦ I never received my Classics badge, Anime badge, nor Manga badgeā€¦ that was years ago and I have no proof of this anymore. But you can not deny me my Gold Badge 2020.

4 Likes

I have not either. Iā€™m on Viki every dayā€¦ EVERY DAYā€¦ and Iā€™m either in the Top 3 or Top 5 contributors monthlyā€¦ yet no Gold Badge. This is not the first time that Viki has pulled this on me. Iā€™ve been a Gold QC since they started ranking QCs.

2 Likes