[Viki Community Team] March 2020 Updates - The New Inbox! ✨

Yeah, we didn´t got it in our personal email or inbox

Didn’t get this one either, and I finally got to vent one of my frustrations there:))). I don’t think this will help in any way in that matter, but at least I spoke up. And that’s all thanks to you^^

Now I’m a CM I really start to hate the inbox more. As a CM I always send mass PM’s to people to ask if they want to join the team. Now I can still do that but need to add the people one by one. Also if I send it to 15 people and one of them replies to me, all the other 14 people will see that reply too. I don’t like that, not that it’s invading my privacy but why should person B know what person A replied to me? Today I decided to send a message one by one but then there is an another problem: You have one box so all the messages I send are on top of all the messages I receive. I cannot delete those otherwise the people whom I did send them too cannot reply. So now with my latest mass PM I decided to switch of replies but that feels a bit rude…

Hopefully Viki can fix it.

9 Likes

Does anyone know how to get the inbox emails? The setting for the emails is switched on, yet I don’t receive the emails for the GOs. :frowning: I get emails for replies to my discussion posts, but not for my personal inbox.

1 Like

You mean this information?

1 Like

I think she means e-mail notifications about new messages in the Viki inbox.

1 Like

Lutra gave the general guide “How do I turn on/off email notifications for new inbox messages?” and “When will I receive email notifications for new messages?

As far as I know, this is what I have experimented:

• I don’t receive on gmail the first message from A, I receive on gmail one of the answers from B like:
    “Thank you!”

So I don’t receive all notification on gmail (It’s different from the previous mailbox) and I don’t know what drama they’re talking about or what it is about.

So later, I check the whole thread on Viki mailbox to understand the parts skipped.

• I received messages from people asking to subtitle a drama where I’m not part of the team (x1 or x2).
    The message looks like one from Project Finder, but I am not sure, because they just ask to subtitle the drama in general, but don’t specify the episode.

• I am not sure I received all notifications because of the first instance (the first message followed by others’ answer or single message without any answer yet).

• I don’t know when we receive the notification compared to the time it was sent, bec compared to previous mailbox, I receive the notifications later.

In short, maybe don’t rely yet on the notification, you might not receive them all and/or later like in my case.

1 Like

Thank you everyone for your replies, I will read up on this inbox issue. Piranna, yes, I do sometimes get the replies instead of the actual GO for the episode, but recently, I haven’t been receiving any notification whatsoever. I will try to play around with the settings

2 Likes

Totally agree with your statements! It’s really confusing and I lost a lot of old messages that I didn’t remove and I can’t find it anymore.

3 Likes

It’s impossible to read old messages from inbox before the changed it to the new style, I’d have to scroll forever, it’s not practical at all, if there were at least like a search box you could write the ID in… it’s just a weird system to me… also the big boxes of each answer is not practical I see like one or two at a time on my 14" inch screen, always scroll, why did they decide to put answers or text as clouds??

3 Likes

That would be very convenient. I had to scroll to find a message sent to me 6-7 months ago.

I thought the inbox was now set to dark mode but since the changes in the design, mine has switched from dark mode to light mode with no possibility to change it, which I miss a lot. The message boxes are quite light too (light brown/yellow) which often makes the page too bright.
I still miss some email notifications once in a while so I have to log in everyday if I want to make sure not to miss anything like the opening of subtitling for the drama I’m supposed to work on as happened yesterday.
I thought the previous in-box worked quite well. It was easy to find old messages or sent messages.
As bugs are being corrected and changes made, I truly hope we will see more improvements.

1 Like

I don’t often use the Viki inbox or I type mostly short answers, until today:

I scroll up and down to edit my answer and it’s difficult to form a long answer.

Suggestions:
Could we have a :heavy_plus_sign: button so we could if we want to, “Write an answer in a new window”?
Or would it be possible for the writer to shorten or extend the area of the answer?

Like on this forum, when we edit, we have a blue bar to extend the area:

2 Likes

Viki, we are in 2021. :grin: At least give us the add/remove users on/from a conversation. It’s quite unpleasant to create so many conversations. Also, it will be great to be able to send images. :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

I tolerate the inbox most of the times, because I don’t participate in popular projects or don’t do much stuff in general, so there aren’t many messages.
But when I actually have to manage like 40+ messages, the inbox becomes so messy that it’s unbearable. Everything lags or loads, when I delete multiple messages, the other messages “multiply” to fill the blank spot, I have to refresh the page, there isn’t any sorting (practically) so I have to do everything manually, I can’t even search for the keywords because everything is behind the loading wall.
How do you all manage?

2 Likes

Indeed, Viki’s Inbox is from the Stone Age. I mean, right now I can’t believe that with so many online messaging solutions, Viki is so far behind.

Personally, I try to stay in as few conversations as possible and only when necessary. Periodically, I check messages from oldest to newest, and leave those where I have nothing left to reply to… although, sometimes I don’t want to leave any conversations. You never know when you need a certain conversation. Good luck with emails, which I archive, but unfortunately only the ones I receive, because the messages we send can only be kept by staying in the conversation… or manually saving them in a document.

In the hope that Viki will see this topic, I think the following would be urgent:

• receiving/sending messages in real time;
  • browser notifications;
  • the ability to archive/download a conversation - there are situations when I want to leave a conversation, but at the same time I don’t want to lose that conversation for various reasons;
  • image support - this is extremely useful if I want to give feedback after editing or if I want to guide a new volunteer;
  • and as mentioned above, creating conversations with more administration options - i.e. with the possibility to add/remove someone at any time, plus the forced notification option (there may be a situation when a volunteer doesn’t want to receive email notifications for every message in the conversation - so s/he can mute the notifications, but the creator of the conversation should have the possibility of a forced message that ignores that mute - useful when giving go to a new translation, for example).

I hope that this new year will be one of improvement of the tools Viki provides, and that these improvements will be visible and effective.

4 Likes

Hello everyone,
2 years have passed since Viki launched the new inbox…

Adding more recipients to an already sent message Will there be an option for us to add more vikiers to an already sent message? For example:

• We forgot to add some vikiers and instead of creating another chat wasting time we want to only add them to the message we already sent.

• BY REAL ACCIDENT a former recipient leaves/deletes the chat (It has just happened to me :frowning:) how come I can come back??? I can’t request anyone to re-add me because that option doesn’t exist.

I think more improvements should be implemented in the Viki inbox system this year.
Thanks!

5 Likes