Viki or/vs Dramafever Polls : a peek in viewers' opinion

WHAT?! Like, what, what?!?!

So, they get payed for stolen subs, is that what you’re saying?

1 Like

Yes and dramafever subscribers basically pay dramafever for viki subs lol. I laugh.
I can cite every show I worked with if DF is there. One viewer tells me that is impossible as we are slower sometimes (the shows that viewer watches save W I don’t care for) but they take it when I finish. I finish within 30 min or less of when the show airs on viki when I am available.

1 Like

There must be some websites who use professionals, though. For instance dramalove has the subtitles in lightning speed. It cannot be done with volunteers, as it happens for all dramas. I’m sure they have a team which starts translating while the drama is being aired, otherwise it’s not possible.

2 Likes

well I point you to Marriage Contract. We got that thing up in less than 3 hrs 100% every ep.

2 Likes

I know, it was super quick on W as well. But it doesn’t happen on every show. And yet they often have it even quicker. And in all shows. I’m not trying to advertise that site. It doesn’t have the timed comments, so I would never prefer to watch stuff there if it’s also available on viki. I’m just pointing out that they most probably don’t steal and they most probably use hired translators. Sometimes they make small mistakes, and sometimes the segmenting is a bit rough, but given the speed, it’s understandable.

2 Likes

ok I am going to try & get this back on topic! comparison of DF & Viki? hmmm well there are a lot of shows/movies on viki that don’t have subs, where DF on the same shows does. Next, we find a lot of good shows on Viki and you can’t find on DF, and note the sub situation again. Sometimes I can find shows on Viki where isn’t on DF which some says due to licensing and all. I do like DF, and with me being new to Viki, its a toss up at the moment. yes you can find a lot more countries on Viki
( reminder,subs) where you can’t find on df yeah thats a repeat. also there are other links that shows the asian and other international shows, but not as good as df or Viki, Netflix has some good ones, but not enough for me. same for Hulu, so still a toss up for me Viki, D/F. I will watch both for now
you can find the good & bad for both. hope I helped

2 Likes

Lately I find myself watching dramafever more than viki. The lowest membership is $12 for the whole year and you get access to everything with one short 15 sec commercial break here and there. They get new ones constantly, so there is always something new to watch. Compared to these few things I think viki is lacking. Their memebership is $60 a year and. it takes awhile to get new shows. The only thing I like about viki more is the subbers do a great job of subbing songs, scene writings, and other non-verbal scene info.

I may add that df and hulu (I don’t know about netflix) are just US/Americas based and viewable, while Viki has global access and in more languages than just English/Spanish/Portugese, that is one of the great features Viki offers, so when you travel, you can pratically take Viki with you :blush:
The other aspect is the Viki community within the volunteering and the Discussions board, and Viki gets new dramas quite often! If you want, you can participate in the volunteering community towards VikiPass credit.

3 Likes

thanks Simi11 for the update. again being a newbie here, got a lot to learn & understand. so I still say a toss up between D/F & Viki, the prices which Chenelke51 stated, well I will have to check it out myself and get back to you. my key words are cheap or free. and both do have reasonable prices at least I think so. I am on a fixed income so the prices are ok with me. as for new shows I think both have issues in that department. I do realize the licensing does come intoi play with both, but for goodness sake why does it take so long!!?? I understand China does have problems and/or Japan, but there has to be a line somewhere to remedy this! oh and for volunteering, I don’t know spanish or other languages fluently to do this. would love to but subbing I will have to pass.

1 Like

I think 3 factors make or break deals for licensing.

1. Money
  2. Competition
  3. Demand

The Asian media content is right now blooming and so are streaming websites, there is more than an eye can see!
If you are at Viki for a few years you’ll start seeing a bit more behind the stage although not all details, one thing I love about Viki is, that Viki works with volunteers/members together on making the website or interface better, you can voice an idea or a betterment for a specific feature and Viki tries to accommodate or develop it, I feel the support department is quite active here and although they get tons of inquiries they are trying their best and with a friendly or kind attitude!

And as last, making friendship globally and in multiple languages. You can also learn when you volunteer at Viki, getting tips and info in regards computer/softwares.

Mary, I understand you and wish you happy watching your favorite dramas :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Even if you don’t know any other language except English, you can always caption shows with English hardsubs.
Moreover, in English language films, you can write the English subtitles, as an important service to the hearing impaired.

4 Likes

or learning segementing is other option.

2 Likes

Well I started by mentioning the easier options, given the fact that she’s new here :slight_smile:

1 Like

yes is the best options.

wow good to know all this! thanks all of you. I will think about this,

1 Like

No problem.
Feel free to message pretty much anyone in this thread if you ever need help getting on track. We’ve all been here for a while and would be glad to help out :slight_smile:

1 Like

ok I praised both, now a complaint for both. I am enjoying the tree tailors, and viki is awesome about this one, yeah I may have to wait a day maybe two for the subs, but still, its a good thing.
now today I am disappointed in DF, wow! I admit it. I am not able to get on there for some reason and I am a premium person. , so Viki has problems with subbers, and I am still thinking about it, but completely blocking a person out and they are premium ? couple of points off there. anyway I will get off my soapbox. they both are good and in someways well they could improve.

here is more praise & complaints
today I wanted to experiment, our favorite links to reallt see if they "all " do what they are supposed to do, Netflix, I thought I finished watching love now on DF 36 episodes, I got onto Netflix and look! 72 episodes, I went up to 33, and the subs is terrible! I rechecked Drama fever to make sure I didn’t miss something and they said 36 episodes
I come here to Viki, again to experiment, and Viki has 72 episodes, I jumped to 33 just to see if the subs were there, went up to ,36 wow! vikli you are the one! as for 72 episodes yep, so like I said in my earlier message, I think all of them has problems one way or other. and y’know I am going to finish watching these episodes here, again which I thought I finished a couple of years ago! so go figure!!

Imar, I got it! thank you!!!

the title is love now, sorry made a mistake

Dear Mary, here’s a tip for you.
See under your post, there is the icon of a pencil. If you click it, you are able to edit anything you like on your previous post, without the need of a second one. Let me post a screenshot, it may be more helpful.
See? Between the chain and the three dots. The pencil.

2 Likes