Viki Staff deleting a non abuser's contributions without any proof is not at all fair! We need justice for nimi_stepinac! for god sake she is not an abuser

True… But for consistency, if I moderated such a show, I would also copy paste the Dutch subs from one format to the other :woman_shrugging:

6 Likes

If it’s 100% the same it makes no sense at all.

On the other hands some Chinese novels are turned into both: movies and series, with different actors usually.

(I don’t know if the mentioned story was 100% the same, if yes, for what reason do we need two channels/both on Viki?)

3 Likes

@sonmachinima I mean this… now in this case I don’t know if it is exactly the same as I didn’t watch both, just use them as an example now, but it happened to a drama I was watching once as well.

4 Likes

Here is a suggestion: Instead of bringing in new moderators who delete things, please consider new translators who create things. @vikicommunity

3 Likes

@adrianmorales

Nothing makes sense here anymore. Deleting a volunteer’s subtitles (thousands of them) is a serious thing, and to give this serious task to a ‘‘new member in the moderation team’’ makes much less sense to me. I personally don’t buy that story.

You know how many people I have reported that has ‘‘periods’’ (…) for subtitles, and nothing was done to them! I bet if I go to their page now, the periods are still there. Since @manganese worked with this volunteer, the least they could have done was informed him/her of what was going to be done to the subtitles they had both worked so hard to give better quality in the drama.

If it was that the volunteer did something wrong, no matter what, they needed to let him/her know why they did that. CRIMINALS in jail get lawyers to defend themselves, and give their version in their own defense, and if @nimi_stepinac did anything wrong she also had the right to defend herself, and not be’’ judged’’ and ‘‘tried’’ with disregards to her right as a volunteer. She wouldn’t be the first or the last one who may have made a mistake as a translator/subber (whatever the case may be). Besides, just like some here feel the new moderator don’t deserve harsh punishment, I feel @nimi_stepinac deserve the same.

What’s good for the goose is good for the gander

USA saying

Saying means: that one person or situation should be treated the same way that another person or situation is treated. No one here is better than the other.

7 Likes

Agreed! Viki staff – new or experienced – shouldn’t be allowed simply to delete a volunteer’s work with a single click of a button, especially without even investigating the situation. As for the mistake part…

“Oops, my hand slipped and I accidentaly pressed the Delete All Subs button. Oh, and I even confirmed my action by accident too. Sorry.” :expressionless:

Then again, I have no idea what kind of agreement is signed between Viki and a volunteer. What’s the process like, @angelight313_168 Does Viki guarantee any rights whatsoever?

3 Likes

@kakashiandme
The countless times I’ve caught people cheating. The reports I’ve made. When I have screen shots and even show the abuser of what I caught… I still get the “but I wasn’t copying” scenario when every line is verbatim, word for word.

Did those subbers you mention here you have reported gotten ALL their subtitles deleted? Or their account closed/suspended?

Why pick on this ONE new person/subber; when we have here others doing much worse stuff, and they get [0] punishment? Mind you this are ppl. with no excuse bc they have been here years and years, and have plenty of experience of what’s wrong and right when working here. As a matter of fact, when I was a ‘‘rookie’’ just starting subbing here, this one very well known Spanish moderator (I think she changed her name for I don’t see her ‘‘around’’ anymore) told me to go to other sites and she mention a few names of those sites back them, and said for me to go and told me to ''change a few words here and there and claim it as my ‘‘own subtitle’’ Thank GOD I didn’t fall for that bc I know that was illegal. I am certain this person did it with all the malice in her heart bc she was controlling and a ‘‘hog’’ of dramas. If she saw any ‘‘competition’’ she wanted to make sure she could get me ‘‘out of her way.’’

You said that you have also gone through a lot here at Rviki, so put yourself in the person’s shoes, and please, be more understanding. This person is not crying bc so far I haven’t seen anything written here from the subber who was tried and judge with no regards as to her/his rights as a volunteer and a human being that deserved a fair treatment. Although at this point they can find ways to make a person look guilty even if the person is not. The only thing that can save anyone is if you are part of their team.

You may know more than we know, but I’m asking you: Are you 100% sure that the other side of the story is also 100% truthful? We need to be able to see with verifiable evidence what this person is being accused of. If you are so against this person bc ‘‘you know something more’’ than we do, then say it because is only fair to all of us that want credible answers (believe you me when I say that you can’t trust everyone here saying all the facts) unless you are part of their team, then, you are safe, but if not thread with caution bc there must be a reason when you report an actual abuser, and *nothing happens to this abuser, and they continue working from left to right’’ and we are left with a ‘‘slap’’ in the face.

How would you like it, if this was done to you? To delete all your/work this person work she/he has done over maybe 486 subtitles ‘‘she had done’’ or was done inappropriately (according to my assertions) THIS IS IN MY EYES THE BIGGEST INJUSTICE done here at RVIKI, and believe me, I have seen enough stuff here to make a case in any court of law.

3 Likes

@vikicommunity
What I don’t understand is that apparently you only get in touch with those involved after the community started complaining. Shouldn’t those involved have been informed before someone even decided to delete subs?

Sending a message to those involved to ask what has happened so they get a chance to explain their side of the story seems like the bare minimum what should’ve been done. So if this is wat Viki has labeled as the “correct steps in the moderation protocol”, then that protocol definitely needs to be revised from step 1. And not just the “not deleting non-problematic subs”-part.

15 Likes

I have no clue if they do. It’s obvious ‘‘rights’’ for the volunteers here at this site are not enforced, and the proof of that, is what happened to this new subber. According to what I have read so far, it was a ‘‘miscarriage of justice’’ (although this is not a court room), I want to phrase it like that. This has been by far the biggest injustice done here, and that I find not enough words to describe.

2 Likes

@vikicommunity, I truly hope that this was not a case of Viki staff taking the words of a trusted member of volunteer community at their face value and forgoing a thorough investigation. It is understandable to trust the words of valuable and trustworthy volunteers but please remember that even they can sometimes make a mistake.

12 Likes

Just like you, I dislike the entire system. Mistake or not, the fact that your entire work can simply disappear without prior notice makes it not worth it. But that’s just my impression, of course.

2 Likes

Considering they claim that a staff member that has been part of the staff for more than 3 years to be new, I’m wondering when your probation period ends if you work for Rakuten Viki… :thinking:

Anyway, we don’t know how they verified the claims and if they’re justified, as we haven’t seen the evidence. Therefore, I wouldn’t dare to comment on this part. However, it can be assumed that not all subtitles should’ve been affected (as claimed). In fact, the Community Guidelines don’t tell us much about possible penalties. However, there are accounts that were reported stealing subs from other streaming services and those weren’t deleted nor deleted despite the report (which leads to the conclusion that the protocol is rather vague).
As I worked in support and banned/penalized people in games, I’m aware that there’s always a lot of being taken into account (How severe is the offense? Were there previous offenses? What attitude do they show towards their offense?). Someone using a translator might be bad, but Viki won’t be penalized for it, someone who’s copying subs from another streaming service might be a greater issue… :woman_shrugging:

I’d rather prefer it if they hinted if something is offensive or not. By PM, someone is told, “we don’t care if you have 20 projects at once.” Maybe people would stop reporting pointless stuff if there weren’t such rules or a ticket reply that indicates that something isn’t considered offensive.

6 Likes

It is the same. I found out that this format comes from manga, manhwa, and manua, which in book and animated form are released in small pieces and then sometimes knitted into a full feature (if it will fit into the length of an average movie).

Anyway, in this instance, Viki gave us the go ahead to ask original segmenters and team members to join the movie and transfer subs, adjust for some different music order, and translate some new content here and there. I didn’t receive any complaints about it, and everyone seemed happy to help keep it all consistent since it was at least 95% the exact same content.

I think this type of content will appear more and more often, not just on Viki but on streaming sites in general.

5 Likes

Hello,I am Lavanya.Firstly,Iam very new to this activity of subbing.But the first person to responded to me for the work of hindi subtitles is nimi_stepinac.As a senior one she took out her time and helped me to know this subtitling process.When I found this I was so shocked and out of my words.like how can they delete all her contributions which is not even a small count.I want to contribute my vote and join hands in getting subs back…!

10 Likes

No, Viki does NOT own the subs. They have the right to use them, but they do NOT OWN our work. Please read the site information again. The person who created them owns the original intellectual property.

8 Likes

No, but it owns the digital space that they occupy, so Viki can delete them at any moment… Volunteers definitely need to consider this aspect before their hard work is erased, mistake or not.

1 Like

Hi deadliftdiva,

You are correct. I am in error and I’ll adjust my above post accordingly. All the information about “Subtitle Submission” is provided by Viki at the below link.

Legal /Terms Of Use

The relevant section is “10. SUBTITLE SUBMISSIONS”.

Similar to any other artistic endeavor, the person who creates the work retains the inherent qualities associated with creating the work.

(10.3) …You retain all your ownership rights in your Subtitle Submissions. However, by submitting the Subtitle Submissions to Us, you hereby only grant…
(10.3.A) …to Us, Our successors and assigns a non-exclusive, royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual, unlimited, sub-licensable and transferable worldwide license for the duration of protection of copyright or other intellectual property rights attached to the Subtitle Submissions to use, reproduce, distribute, exploit, prepare derivative works of, display, publish, broadcast, perform, import, commercialize, retain copies of, and otherwise transfer all copyright, inventions, and other intellectual property rights in the Subtitle Submissions in connection with the Services and Our (and Our successors’ and assigns’) business, including without limitation for promoting and redistributing part or all of the Services (and derivative works thereof) in any form and media formats and through any media channels

(10.3.B.ii) No revocation: you agree that you will not unilaterally revoke or seek invalidation of any license that you have granted under these Terms for Subtitle Submissions, even if you terminate these Terms, delete your Account and/or discontinue use of the Services.

After reading the above, it sounds to me like once we submit our subtitles, we give Viki full and unlimited power to use the subs and we relinquish control of those subs. I also believe that we would no longer be able to pass on any subs that we created to any other streaming site because Viki is the only one who can “exploit” the subs. I’m more than happy to be corrected on my interpretation. I’m not a lawyer.

Regards,
Mn

3 Likes

Reading this it appears both we and Viki are owners of the subs and that they do not impede us using our subs somewhere else. Or… am I wrong?

2 Likes

I have no idea! Maybe a person with some legal expertise will have a read one day and pass on their thoughts. :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

bozoli
Reading this it appears both we and Viki are owners of the subs and that they do not impede us using our subs somewhere else.

Using the subtitles somewhere else is considered plagiarizing the work. Plagiarism often involves using someone else’s words or ideas without proper [citation], but you can also plagiarize yourself. Self-plagiarism means reusing work that you have already published. There are serious consequences for using subtitles you did here at RVIKI and using them on another site.

[manganese]
(https://discussions.viki.com/u/manganese)
After reading the above, it sounds to me like once we submit our subtitles, we give Viki full and unlimited power to use the subs, and we relinquish control of those subs.

They are doing this to protect themselves from having their site terminated and not being able to recreate the site again. This is part of the package of the copyrights laws that protects the original authors.

Google Analytics
When they analyze the Data to see if it has been duplicated, and if they find that wordings has been duplicated they consider it as spam, and the site can be terminated and can never be recreated.

It’s a rather complex subject, but what we have to keep in mind is that we choose to do this non-paid volunteer work, and we must abide by their rules. If we don’t, in some cases, there are legal consequences we might have to face. Here at RViki a lot of people get away with unfair things, but one day everything will fall into its place bc that’s the law of Karma.

2 Likes