VIKI volunteers

Would it be possible for a subscriber who has nothing but time on her hands to volunteer to clean up the Timed Comments on dramas or movies of unwelcomed troll/vulgar/repetitive negativity that clearly from all commenter’s views are there to incite ONLY?

It has become increasingly apparent to understand many dramas or movies one has to endure the above comments, and turning the Timed Comments off isn’t an option. I LOVE the TC. I watch dramas or movies from evening until about dawn everyday on Viki, almost exclusively,.

To help others I started going back and commenting over a nasty comment in hopes it “erases” or covers the majority of it with my own. It’s time consuming with the infiltration of so many into dramaland many don’t understand they shouldn’t bring the negative they’re use to seeing, and which has become ingrained, into Viki especially into the TCs.

Is there any other way to discourage the blatant negativity???

4 Likes

Viki has it in its guidelines that it wishes for everyone to have a positive attitude, so if people write harsh out of line comments, vulgar, or whatever …
You have the ability to flag them, of course you will need to prove it with some screenshots for Viki to see.

The other thing you see, technically you could be given access to the TCs, which means you would also have access to the episodes and more in the channel since you would need the status of a moderator. That means you would need the Channel Manager to trust you enough to give this position to you. Even so, it is still a hassle to take care of TCs.

2 Likes

Technically, access to Timed Comments is not possible anymore cause you need a minimum of 3,000 contributions before it’s even possible to add you as moderator. In the past, it would have been possible, though even then, not all CMs would have been willing to. Nowadays, it’s impossible.
For the comments in the comments section, they automatically disappear if 3 people flag them. No need for proof.
What you could do, is write to the CM and ask him/her to (let someone) take care of the Timed Comments. But if it’s an old show, they might not be active anymore.

6 Likes

Unfortunately no. As has already been answered, only moderators (thus people with at least 3000 subs can access the timed comments.

Your only option is to ask the CM or the English mod or the Chief Editor or the General editor of the show) and hope for the best. Most don’t bother but some will.
And it’s not that difficult either. First you get out of the way 5-6 keywords which you know may pop up ( f* words, OMFG, subt, transl, legendas, espan, portug) then you skim for the rest.
Whenever I am moderator on a show, I always make it a point to clean up the TC. Once before release and once more after release.
Once I was added as Timed Comments moderator of a show I didn’t even work for, at the request of my friend piranna. (Then I asked to be taken off the team, of course, because it showed as zero contributions on my profile and it didn’t look good).

If it’s a drama that I really love, I’d be willing to do it again, by asking the CM to add me temporarily.

4 Likes

It’s “funny” because the word moderator literally comes from moderating the language. But you can’t moderate it before actually contributing by subs or segments. Viki indeed has so many limitations lately, after implementing all these new rules.

3 Likes

Thank all of you for responding. I’ll continue to flag, and to cover/comment over the comments. I noticed on Secret (Secret Love on Viki) that another person was also beginning to cover the comments.

Hi, actually, there’s a way. The channel manager can add you as all languages moderator so you get access to the timed comments. I don’t know how viki feels about that, but it is possible.

No need for All Languages. Even Afar moderator would beenough. But to add someone as a moderator, they have to have 3000 subs.

4 Likes

With All Languages, you would avoid the 3,000-contribution barrier, but of course, Viki might frown upon it.

2 Likes

Really? You need them to be a simple mod, but not for this, which has access to all languages? That’s new to me, but you probably have looked it up, so…

2 Likes

Yes, I think it’s mostly because of the new segmenters working on A&C dramas. Some CMs used it as a way to add other language moderators without a free slot too, but by now, Viki doesn’t allow it anymore so they get a warning when they become CM.

2 Likes

All Languages doesn’t have to have any subs nor contribution. I tested out LoL

As a Drama addict, if the comments are uninteresting or disrespectful, just turn them off. How will you judge a comment is a troll? If the commentary is insulting, we agree, but if the commentary criticizes and analyzes the episodes correctly? For example, inconsistency in the script, the production / staging is not good and advice is given to improve it, etc. careful cleaning! Do not confuse moderation versus censorship. Thank you for understanding this point of view.

1 Like

It’s never ALL comments. There are some which are witty and funny, and you cannot know it unless you have them turned on. Why should we miss out the interesting ones just because of some rude, obnoxious people?

Here is a list of which comments I routinely delete, as they are either offensive or distracting or irrelevant or spammy.

3 Likes

I’m old, and wise. I know the dif between moderation and censorship. I’ll continue to cover/comment over the comments which are truly there to incite. In my post the comments I am referring to are the blatant “I want to F*** her (or him)” which use the full word or the stars, the blatant sexual references to using one’s children in the scenario, suggesting using differing sexual positions on the character, etc. Those in-you-face comments don’t bring anything to the Timed Comments. Anything else I could care less about, such as “Her hair is a mess”, “She’s so ugly”, “He’s not as attractive as…”. We glean valuable info from the comments also, and even at my age I can’t figure out exactly what’s going on sometimes. So, going forth, I’ll report.

1 Like

Her hair is a mess, the stylist should be fired, all this is fine. But “She’s so ugly”… I beg to differ. I always think that the actors also use the internet, they visit websites and read comments on them and on their drama. If you bash someone for his/her physical appearance, which is something one is born with - and there’s only so much you can do with hair styles and makeup -, it makes them feel bad and maybe ruin their day.
Actors are human beings too. And it’s unnecessary, it doesn’t add anything either. It’s easier to be kind.

5 Likes

I didn’t mean “She’s so ugly” was fine with me. I meant comparing those statements in comments to the vulgar nature of others is relatively lower on my radar to report. I just finished a drama where the appearance-from-birth was bashed excessively. They were called out for it by others but as we know the TCs aren’t real time so they were repeated throughout the drama. It’s only serves as a warning to new viewers of the same drama not to comment with such. I’ve also begun to notice more Spoilers being inserted. BUT please, I’m begging Viki to not do away with the TCs. The experience, among other things, makes Viki stand apart from other streaming services. I SO appreciated your perspective, irmar, in discussions I’ve come across.

3 Likes

Yes, I understand what you mean. After all, reporting is a more bothersome and serious matter, compared to a moderator zapping here and there. For instance you wouldn’t bother to report all the “Watching from Louisiana, 13/4/2022” comments that suddenly start spamming the section. They are not harmful or offensive per se. But we moderators routinely zap them because they are supremely irritating and useless.
And I fully agree with you that Timed Comments are what makes the difference in Viki and should never be eliminated.
On the other hand, channel managers and moderators should take more seriously the job of cleaning them up. For instance, Spanish and Portuguese moderators: most sub-whining TC come for their languages, and yet I have never met ONE who takes the trouble to clean them up when the Spanish and Portuguese subs are done. I have to do those as well! Channel Managers should make it a requirement.

4 Likes

Dear, Mod All recently can only be CS and CE, according to some Viki criteria to stop OL from taking dramas.In some dramas where I work as a CS, I was forced to ask the Manager to put the segmenters in Mod All at least temporarily, at least until the drama is over, because the segments via Bot were so poorly done that one person would have to spend several months editing them as a rule.

I’ve read the comments many times, but it seems that I haven’t watched the same dramas as you, I mean, I haven’t noticed that anyone curses anyone, and whether someone is beautiful or ugly is his personal opinion. I leave a comment only on the drama that I liked. I don’t see any interest in saying something ugly about another person.

2 Likes