Viki's New LEARN MODE (BETA)

If I were to start subbing up a series, say W would the learn mode work automatically?

Hi @sophie2you,

Yes, learn mode gets auto activated as long as 50% of the captions (Korean subs for a Korean show) are available for a video. :slight_smile: please do let me know if you have any further questions. Weā€™d love to get learn mode active for as many popular titles as possible.

Cheers,
Dhruv

1 Like

Yes. It happened in The Wedding Day and Kinship. I did write a message to staff, but I donā€™t think itā€™s because of my message, it must have happened automatically.
However we only have dual subtitles, not learning tools and such.

2 Likes

Hi @dvon

Thank you for the feedback on the volume and clarity of the word pronunciations. We are in the process of improving this and will post an update here once its done. Hang in tight and please do keep the feedback coming in :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi all!

I am glad to announce that we have re-worked the audio pronunciation feature of Learn Mode for Korean. You should now be able to hear much more audible and clear pronunciations of the words. Please do give it a try and we look forward to your feedback.

Cheers,
Dhruv

4 Likes

Hello,
Learning mode is really helpful.
My Chinese is upper advanced level but there are always new phrases and idioms which I have never met before.

But I think in this issue there is a bug in learning mode -

When I point with mouse cursor to a Chinese subtitles, I do receive good translation to a relevant words, but after I try to close the translation window (by pressing on X in the window corner), everything is frozen for more than a minute. And only after that the translation window closes and the drama continues.

Is it possible to fix this bug? (I am using google chrome)

Same problem here. I use the learn mode with both Chinese and Korean shows and in both cases I cannot close the translation window and I have to reload the page because it just freezes completely. I am not patient enough to wait more than a minute so I didnā€™t try that. I use google chrome as well.

I see this bug is relevant to everyone. So I will publish this issue in bug section.

1 Like

I have been using Learn Mode with Kdramas for a couple of weeks now and I like it very much. I am at a stage of learning Korean where I find this quite helpful. I was looking forward to rewatching some of my old favourites in Learn Mode. I figured that, being already familiar with the plots, I would focus on language learning. Unfortunately, it appears that many of my old favourites have had their license expire for my area (Canada).

It has been frustrating to go the the list of Learn Mode Kdramas, say to myself, ā€œOh yes, Iā€™d like to watch that oneā€ only to discover that it is no longer available. I donā€™t know that there is anything to be done about this, but I thought that if I vented here perhaps there would be some people who are sympathetic.:cry:

Even so, I am getting a lot of use and enjoyment from Learn Mode. My thanks to all the people who worked to make it possible. I appreciate your efforts.

1 Like

Hi @jayne_kulikauskas_77, @faermanbarry_804 & @emmelie96,

Thanks for bring up the problem to our notice. We have taken note of it and will be pushing out a fix soon. I will post an update here once its done. Until then we hope you can continue enjoying your favorite dramas with Learn Mode.

Cheers,
Dhruv

Question about the Chinese subtitles. I was wondering if there are any current programs on Viki that have traditional Chinese characters. I tried looking at a couple of the Taiwanese programs available, but it appears that if they have the learn mode option available, only the simplified script pops up for learn mode. Iā€™m studying Chinese, but Iā€™ve been learning with traditional script for a while now. It would just be more convenient if it was available. Thanks.

2 Likes

Iā€™m replying to my own post because I later learned about the reason for my old favourites disappearing. They are going to be KOCOWA shows. I am trying to make sense of the information about this. I think it means that if I upgrade to a PLUS membership I will be able to watch them.

Does anyone know if LEARN MODE will work on shows coming through KOCOWA? Or, if you donā€™t know, would you like to speculate?

Is there any filter to see which shows are in Learn mode? I am interested in Chinese shows. Thank you for your reply.

1 Like

Not really. You can go to the explore section and select Chinese subtitles (simplified). Every episode with at least 50% subs is available in Learn Mode.

1 Like

One of the options available is you can follow this Viki collection. It currently has 31 Chinese dramas in it.
https://www.viki.com/collections/316981l-learn-the-basics-chinese

1 Like

Youā€™re right. After running through several dramas within the Learn Mode collection, it seems that VIkiā€™s default is the Simplified format, even for dramas with origins like Taiwan and Hong Kong, which currently still use the Traditional format. I think unless each specific Chinese drama, wherever it originates from, has its own Other Language Moderator for Chinese Traditional language, the default, if enabled by Viki, would be in Simplified format.

You can write in to Viki to make your request. I believe it wouldnā€™t be impossible for Viki to enable an option to choose between Simplified or Traditional language under Learn Mode.

Btw, donā€™t ever give up on learning the Traditional format, even if it may seem tougher than the Simplified, or youā€™ll lose out on learning the more profound roots of the language and its culture (which I personally find very interesting and insightful).

1 Like

Hi @jayne_kulikauskas_77, @faermanbarry_804 & @emmelie96,

The fix with regard to the closing of the translation window is out and should be fixed now. Please do let me know if you are still facing issues.

Is Learn Mode also available for Japanese?
I.e. JAP-ENG subtitle pairings?

Hello,
Are there additional Chinese (not Taiwanese) TV-series with learning mode?
There is a topic for learning mode collection (https://www.viki.com/collections/316981l-learn-the-basics-chinese), but I am not sure it is updated.

some may not like ths but I do, I have to admit, I donā€™t use it enough. I know this is a lot for the subbers as well, Iā€™d love to see it on other dramas of different languages too, and again we have to think of the subbers doing thisā€¦ anyway I do like this and plan to keep using it. what a way to learn another language!!

1 Like