Want to subtitle? Let people know!

Hello everyone,
I would like to contribute as a translator. I speak Spanish (mother tongue), English and Korean. I’ll be interested in translating from Korean to Spanish or English to Spanish so if someone is looking for a Spanish translator, please contact me, I’ll be happy to help :slight_smile:
Thanks!

1 Like

@mirjam_465 @angelight313_168 Tysm! Good to know about both!

I’ll move to the other page for Segmenting questions then. I did watch the videos that the NSSA has up, but waiting on my application still, so I suppose I won’t do anything until that goes through!
How does being a GE for English work? You just have to ask someone that has a position open? I notice most people want you to have experience with subbing to apply but I’m not sure how to gain experience when it seems most of the positions that are open require experience X3 Unless perhaps I’m not understanding?

4 Likes

This is a dilemma indeed. It basically comes down to finding someone who is willing to give you a chance (and be willing to learn from that person).
Maybe @worthyromance, @irmar or @cgwm808 can tell you more about how to start.

4 Likes

Hello everyone. I’d be very happy to help translate from english to french

Tenho interesse em legendar dramas de qualquer origem para o português/BR. Já tenho prática e gostaria de ocupar algumas horas livres. Agradeço qualquer oportunidade.

@inktailcricketmagazi Check out this discussion on English editing.

2 Likes

@worthyromance @mirjam_465 Thank both of you so much!

2 Likes

To be an editor, you need experience as a subber. Which makes sense. You can’t jump ranks - unless you are a professional editor in “real life”. Still, they want you to know how things work here, to get familiar with the tools and the Viki formatting rules, with the general workflow of the teams, the Korean or Chinese terms that we don’t translate, or how we do translate them usually (opinions vary among editors). And, most importantly, make sure you are someone trustworthy, punctual and easy to get along with. These things, and this trust, can be gained by working in a team - as a subber.

To be a subber, on the other hand, you don’t need experience, just a very good knowledge of both languages. The tools and formatting rules can be learned quickly. But many moderators/editors will ask you to translate a part of a video as a test before accepting you fully. Which is also reasonable, because some people tend to over-evaluate their knowledge.
What you do need, to be able to access the video and thus work on it, is a Vikipass, because there are very few untranslated older dramas that are not behind Vikipass. So what happens usually is that if you don’t find such an older drama, you will have to pay for a Vikipass for one month, in which period you have to strive to achieve 3000 subs (a 1-hour episode is roughly 900 subs). After reaching 3000 subs, you become a Qualified Contributor and Viki will give you a free Vikipass, which allows you to access most shows (sadly, not all).
To maintain the QC status, you only have to contribute a meagre 500 subs per 6 months.

2 Likes

Hi everyone, would love to help to translate the subtitles.
I can translate english to swedish.
Feel free to contact me. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hola, soy cami, sé hablar coreano e inglés, así que si necesitaran ayuda con subtítulos, estaría encantada de ayudar

@mirjam_465
@Irmar’s answer pretty much summarizes it all for me: “To be an editor, you need experience as a subber. Which makes sense. You can’t jump ranks - unless you are a professional editor in ‘real life’”.
I absolutely won’t accept anyone as an editor because her sole qualification is that she is a native-speaker of English. There has to be something more. The something more does not include loving one of the main actors or watching the webtoon of the same name. But if you have a regular blog featuring the star or a youtube site in which you translate short videos of your idol, then I will gladly accept you. My preference is for “real life” editors or real life writers who get paid for their work, because these people are able to re-write sentences and do more than mechanically correcting spelling, grammar and punctuation. I do appreciate someone who is a subtitler as well (In any other language) and someone who is able to do self-initiated research on obscure technicalities. As an example, years ago I worked often with a retired professor of physics who worked hard to write the subs on design of an oil-drilling ship or the construction defect causing the collapse of a department store which was central to the plot of several dramas. For a medical drama, I’ve been lucky to work with people who are real-life nurses who consider the medical correctness of all dialogue involving diasnosis, treatment and outcome. I also like to work with people with great memories because I try to make any dialogue which is repeated in a series in a flashback consistent. In some series, there may be some sentences which are repeated over ten time in the series. I’m going to try to find every instance to make them all be worded and punctuated exactly the same.
Some people think that if they can’t subtitle because they don’t know another language, and they don’t know how to segment, that by default then they can edit. Why would a person qualify to be an editor because of inability to do anything else?
As to finding the occasional error we editors miss, please do write to me after subbing has begun in other languages. I promise to look over every specific subtitle which may have an error in it. Each hour long episode has approximately 700 lines, and if the average of each line is 5 words, there are thousands of possibilities for error. What I won’t do is respond to a generic “there are lots of mistakes. Can you add me as an editor?” I find that when such critics are asked to provide details they will send me a list of ten to twenty or so lines which they thought there was an extra space or that a comma was needed or not needed and perhaps a typo or two. In my universe of thousands of subtitles, that is not a lot! But I am always willing to improve the already great viki subtitles so I will go through the list except for those comments about spaces.

6 Likes

Hi people! I’m a new volunteer here so I’m really excited to start subtitling!!
I can do the subs from English to Portuguese. I’d like to start with a Chinese drama tho, but a Korean drama it’s okay too!!
I just wanna start as soon as possible!

xoxo

Hi! I would like to help with translations. I can translate from English to Polish.

Hi, I’d like to help subtitle from English to French. Please contact me ^^

Hello, I can sub from English to Portuguese.
If you have some project that needs people, call me
Thanks!

I’d like to subtitle some episodes from Japanese to Spanish! Is there anything available at the moment? Thank you very much in advance!

Hi everyone! :slight_smile: I would love to help the Viki community!
I can subtitle from English to Italian :blush:

I can subtitle from Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Hindi to English.

Hello there! I hope you’re having a sweet time!
Can you subtitle from English to Hindi (in Hindi script not Hinglish)?

1 Like

Hi everyone

I would like to join a team on any project. I can sub from English to Spanis. Thanks and greetings!

1 Like