What are you currently watching?

Currently watching Bride of the Water God. I’m at episode 12 right now. It started off kind of funny, then gradually got into some serious stuff. So far I’m really enjoying it! P.S. It’s also available under the title The Bride of Habaek on NF.

Update: Finished last night. It was a satisfying watch with a decent ending.

5 Likes

I enjoyed this show. Apparently, a lot of people found it boring but I enjoy it!
fried_chicken

2 Likes

That was a funny clip where he was brushing the dirt off the chicken drumstick before eating it. (He did not eat it, btw). I have not found it to be boring and believe me, I’ve watched some pretty boring dramas (especially some C-dramas).

2 Likes

I know! me too!

2 Likes

I started watching My Love, Enlighten Me for the dumbest reason ever— I want to see the SML not get the girl :joy::joy: The actor is the ML in She is The One and I didn’t like that character much… I suddenly felt wicked and decided to watch this drama just to see him suffer. But he’s quite nice here… if he was like this in She Is The One, I’d have enjoyed it a whole lot more.

The drama is weird because it has an 8.3 MDL rating and a whole 9.6 on Viki… so I will disregard everybody’s reviews and try to enjoy the drama for what it is. I’ve come to a point in my drama watching life where I find overly-dramatic scenes hilarious. And the TCs help me laugh them off. The FL just lost her hopes and dreams, but they had an entire slow-mo scene of her crying and getting soaked in the rain with a heartbreaking OST playing… and our ML comes and holds an umbrella up for her in the most non-caring, I-don’t-want-to-be-here way ever :joy::joy: He has to treat her civilly because she’s his sister’s best friend.

I also love that though it’s the cliche cohabitation trope, our FL is smart and finds ways to get around his rules, which always makes me laugh. She’s the other reason I love the drama. Fully functional, smart, adorable, quirky, brave and kind. The ML is a weirdo but it’s okay. It’s soooo funny to see him start out as the typical ice-cold ML and then make a sharp about-turn when FL’s mom came to stay with them(Ep 4)… he turned into such a GOOD BOY in front of her I was dying of laughter :joy::joy:

4 Likes

Are you talking about this one?

1 Like

I wasn’t sure about that one in the beginning, but I ended up really, really liking it. I know it’s hard to believe, given the ML’s personality in the beginning, but they end up being quite playful.

I kind of like your reason for starting it, though. We can all succumb to our own pettiness sometimes. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

@my_happy_place
Did you watch this one with your fave guy? I’m watching it now.
SECRET DOOR
https://www.viki.com/videos/1051738v

2 Likes

I haven’t watched that, and I think maybe you are thinking of @natyh because Lee Je Hoon is her guy.

2 Likes

Yes hahaha, he’s my favorite and I already watch that show it’s really interesting, I enjoyed it a lot. But it depends; if you like historical shows, you’re going to love this one.

2 Likes

I honestly liked the ML from the first few episodes. I don’t know why the TCs keep blaming everything on him… it isn’t even all his fault. He’s ice-cold and can be harsh because he doesn’t know how to frame his words, that’s all. I could see he was a big dorky baby underneath in the first few episodes. I think I’m more tolerant when watching these dramas because I never imagine myself in the FL’s place. I watch dramas with the thought “Ahh let’s see how these kids get through life and fall in love.” The drama has really weird jump cuts and some over-dramatic scenes, but I find it all funny.

I’d count him as one of the good tsundere MLs in Dramaland.

I’ve never really put any thought into how the approach with which a person views a drama would affect how they interpret it, but I like how you described it.

1 Like

It always does. Everyone watched it with different lens on and that’s why we see so many different types of reviews. People expecting strong plots and full focus on law/medicine/crime-solving rate some of the best fluffy rom-coms very low. People expecting fluffy rom-com idol dramas rate mature romances/mysteries low.

Have you noticed that cdramas are judged more leniently than kdramas? We unknowingly put on different lenses.

I don’t know if I change my lens just based on cdrama vs. kdramas, because I’m ultimately looking to get the same thing out of both, but I know that I do it based on genre or if I go into a drama feeling like it is going to be ‘frivolous’, and therefore I am willing to be more lenient.

1 Like

Hello, im watching currently ‘’ well intended love season 1’’:smiling_face_with_three_hearts: now i started season 2 but the story is totally different like another script. it’s little weird cause i wanted the continued :couplekiss_man_woman:but it’s cool too

2 Likes

Watching HOMETOWN CHA-CHA-CHA with Shin Min-a and Kim Seon-Ho. I was fuming and barely able to finish episode 1; same ridiculous senseless story, that you know won’t happen in real life. The Preview for episode 2 just tells me it will get worseafter they started to seem to be ‘‘liking’’ each other, I see him screaming and angry at her. To see the same scenes in a drama over and over again, I ask myself: Is it so hard for them to stop repeating this same ridiculous stories?Then, the parents…her parents are BOTH alive (a miracle in k drama) but all I saw was the worse parents an adult/professional person could have in their life To think I was so happy and looking forward to seeing this drama. There’s so much you can see of the same thing over and over and over again, My heart is broken. ONE good thing: they do have good chemistry as a couple. ENJOY IT, GUYS!

I’m watching this one now and i love it is with the guy from Mischievous Kiss which i loved and watched all parts. Check it out.

I just watched episode 1 of ‘Hometown Cha-Cha-Cha’, and I can’t help but feel like we must have watched two different shows.

You mentioned something about the FL’s parents, but we literally only saw them for a couple minutes in this episode, including the flashback to her childhood when everything seemed lovely and happy, and in the present time we only saw a couple seconds when she spoke to her dad on the phone. There was clearly a sense that they must be estranged but we have no real idea why, although I made some assumptions because, contrary to what you wrote, my take on the overall situation is her biological mother is dead and the new woman with her dad is not her real mom.

Also, you described something you saw in the preview for the next episode, and the preview I saw literally had no screaming whatsoever. The ML does seem upset about something, but he was perfectly calm, quiet and rational when he was talking, just as he was during all of episode 1. Was he brusque and maybe unfriendly at first? Yes. But he was not obnoxious or rude, and he ended up helping her with her problems, even if it wasn’t necessarily in the way she wanted.

I don’t always like watching on-air dramas, but I think I will be able to follow this one. I really liked the first episode. It was just what I needed right now, since I was in a drama blackhole. I hope it keeps this same vibe throughout.

1 Like

Well, that’s the reason why you liked it, and I didn’t because you see it differently you was in a drama black hole while I’m watching several good ones right now. Like I said, I’ve seen this in drama same story plot since 2012, and I really didn’t expected to see this same scenes played again in a drama in 2021, and same location too! Double whammy for me lmao. Too bad I’m really bad with titles bc you would see what I was talking about by checking the ones I saw years back.
About the parents…

Yes, I know that’s not her mom, but stepmom. The thing is, you rarely see in K dramas; parents having a normal relationship with their adult children; so I didn’t expect to see that dilemma in this drama too. Also, the thing where she’s cleaning the fish was like; so UNREAL to me. A Dentist going to that level? She had many other options than doing that

The chemistry between both actors is very good, but the story is boring to me. If it gets better later on, and I hear good changes in the story; I might start watch it again. But for now is on hold for me. Maybe since I’m watching so many other good ones, I feel this one is falling short in my book. I mean the fact that 9 years later, I’m seeing same pattern of things happening in a Korean drama just turned me off. I’m glad you like it. Enjoy it!

1 Like

Yeah, I finally worked my way through three long dramas that I had been working on for a long while, and my drama-watching nerves are a bit shot after all that. I’ve been trying to find something nice and easy for now. I started a couple shorter ones but knew right away they weren’t what I needed at the moment. I did finish a super short, super nonsensical drama, but other than that, I’m still looking. Hometown Cha-Cha-Cha hit the spot, but now I have to deal with it being on-air with only a couple eps a week.

I had put ‘You Are My Spring’ (Ntflx) on hold until all episodes had aired. Now they have, but I think that one is a little too much for my nerves, too.

I just started ‘Love is Phantom’, so we’ll see how that goes.

2 Likes

I’m thinking of starting Hometown Cha Cha Cha even though I’m currently watching two On-Air dramas because I’ve REALLY been anticipating it :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: If you want another drama that’s light, have you tried watching Police University? I don’t remember whether you’re watching it or not :sweat_smile:

I really love how light and extremely funny it is. It’s very easy to watch… there’s a crime subplot but it isn’t verrry angsty or anything. They’re trying to catch gamblers, which should be lighter business than psychopaths or serial killers. And they’re all dorks :joy: It’s killing me to watch it two episodes at a time but the episodes are rewatchable, so that’s what I’ve been doing^^

1 Like