What are you currently watching?

Just finished this one:

I loved it! Though I sometimes feel like xianxia romances all have similar plots, i looove watching the sets and costumes and this one didn’t disappoint. It was elaborate and very pretty to look at. Ashes of Love probably will always be my favorite xianxia because it was my first, so this one takes second place. It was pretty well-written, and some problems that plague the xianxis genre were resolved quite fast, fast enough not to exhaust me like most other dramas. It ended pretty satisfyingly and the cast was awesome.

Lots of people complain that the ML looks too old but there is NO ONE who can play that role like he did. Everything about his character and demeanour screamed powerful God of War madly in love. Both leads’ expressions and the way they chose to interpret and portray their characters were beautiful. I didn’t expect much skinship but their chemistry was AWESOME and I really didn’t expect that I would die screaming over their kisses and romance. I was also glad that the writers chose to keep the comedy throughout the drama… in most others, the comedy just fizzles out and turns into angsty frustration for the next twenty episodes. God of War’s squad was so hilarious and it was fun to watch them tease each other and give advice.

One more point I liked was that the Heavenly Emperor was, for ONCE, a genuinely nice, wise, compassionate man who knew how to rule his kingdom, had no annoying advisers who were trying to turn him into a puppet, no witchlike wife, no unnecessary forced weddings. He treated ML like his son and was pretty good throughout the entire series. I was glad that for once there were powerful people who supported the main couple.

5 Likes

I just finished rewatching:

• don’t know why it’s showing up in Spanish ^

I can’t remember how many times I’ve rewatched this. It’s not because it’s perfect but I think I relate to MiRae and how she evolved as a person. The story is cliche as any but there’s still a uniqueness to it that makes me want to watch it over and over.

I also want to show appreciation for most of the parents in this series. I ADORE MiRae’s dad. He’s as cute as a button. I love how supportive her parents are. Do Kyung Seok’s mom is also so lovely and likable.

I think if they unwrapped more of the societal issues that this story holds, it would be remarkable. I think they kept it a little on the safe side.

Anyway, I’ll always come back to my comfort kdrama. I’ll miss DoRae couple until next time!

6 Likes

Currently rewatching Scent of a woman, the drama that, back in the day, made me fall head over heels voor Lee Dong Wook. Watching it again, I still love it 10 years later.

9 Likes

Same! Ever since TSOAW, I have been a LDW fanatic. :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

Half the fun I get from watching Young Lady and Gentleman has to do with discussing and screaming with other viewers in MDL
This comment describes the drama and my own perspective in a nutshell :joy:

7 Likes

You’ve made me very curious about this series :wink:

4 Likes

me too, I didn’t think I would like it… checking it out today

3 Likes

And I foresee the next problem in the Chairman, DanDan, Chief Jo triple-header; a shocking turn of events with Chief Jo announcing to the Chairman that she is ???. Remember that they were on that island all alone with no witnesses (although we know our beloved Chairman would never do such a thing!) I cannot wait every weekend for the subbers to finish and, in fact, I often watch in segments (those that are subbed) and have to wait until more get subbed. Yeah, it’s just that good (IMO). Good, clean, ridiculously crazy fun. And, like you, I have a ‘thing’ for the ML. :wink::fire::wink:

2 Likes

I agree with your prediction - there’s absolutely nothing else that witch can do anymore. I was worried that YG would change his mind or falter when SR’s mom stormed in with all her lies but I was so glad and surprised to see him standing his ground and remaining firm. I also seriously hate the fact that Cha Gun is in love with her – does he have some sort of hero complex? There’s no other explanation.

@feyfayer @frustratedwriter it’s a really fun series but I think I wouldnt have been able to binge from ep 12 onwards. Two episodes per week is just enough for my tolerance :joy: It can be really infuriating but the kids and the family scenes are adorable and the actors are really good. Sejong’s actor is so cute, and does soooo well – he also played the little daughter in Hye Bye Mama. Ji Hyun Woo is just amazing in his role. He pays a lot of attention to small details. The chemistry gets better and better with each episode. Kang Ha Na, who plays the main villain, also does a wonderful job. She’s playing the obsessive, selfish woman slowly descending into utter insanity so so well.

4 Likes

currently i’m watching several different dramas. the main one that has caught my attention is strong woman do bong-soon. so far i’m loving it and its such a nice contrast from the other drama I just finished (uncontrollably fond). also watching love ft marriage and divorce, fight my way, level up, and my father is strange. i’m very close to finishing the second season of hospital playlist, but im procrastinating because i don’t want it to end😫. but honestly im all over the place and i just watch whatever when the mood hits me.

6 Likes

Scholar Who Walks the Night

30 but 17 - Rewatch

Watch Party of Red Sleeve!

4 Likes

I wanted to rewatch Player but it got kicked off of my region :sob::sob::sob: It was such a good show!

1 Like

Oh, well … It was still on my list, but now I can’t access it in my region either. I really detest the Viki business practice for one announcing that some dramas will go from no pass needed to the next level pass, but deliberately and consequently leaving out the information of channel, that will lose licenses.

Seriously, will we ever see a change in that practice?

2 Likes

I KNOW, RIGHT? I was just going to watch it and couldn’t find it anywhere on Viki :sob:

I started The Good Detective and OHMYGOODNESS what is it with these crime thriller shows having TERRIBLE female leads? The FL is almost always an extremely annoying, nosy idiot who works mostly for her own gains without seeing the larger picture, thinking she’s the smartest person in the world, and it’s just infuriating to watch. I’ve given dramas low ratings solely because of the terrible FL roles. If the writers are so bad at writing female characters in crime dramas, they should just leave them out. There are enough female-centric dramas to compensate. Team Bulldog was a pretty intriguing show. The investigation squad was hilarious and everyone had good chemistry, but the FL just THREW ME OFF, she was constantly ruining everything, butting into everything and never understanding anything. The Good Detective seems to suffer from the same disease. One ML is a very interesting character, and the rest of the happenings at the police station are intriguing. BUT the writer just HAD to add in a nosy reporter and she’s driving me crazy. I get that she’s doing a good deed but she keeps valuable info from the police when things could have turned for good if she just told them. Even if they didn’t listen(which I highly doubt, because one ML is determined to solve the case), at least we could say she tried. :persevere: I hope her character improves because I probably won’t be able to continue with the show. If they add in ANY hints of romance I will just explode.

Though I didn’t love the plot in Stranger, they wrote in a REALLY good FL. It was a no-romance, crime and corruption-focused show whose highlight was an ML with alexithymia - but the FL was wonderful. She was badass, smart and everything - and the ML’s team even worked with her happily because she was a professional and good at her job, without her having to butt into their business at every turn. Maybe I’m over-reacting because the nosy press usually gets on my nerves in dramas. I get that they’re valuable protectors of democracy… but they just spoil EVERYTHING sometimes. I’m sorry, I’ll just go sulk in a corner lol

3 Likes

I will just advise you to stick with it. I felt as you did when I first started it, but, IMO, it turns out her inner struggle about doing what is right is one of the main storylines. The corruption in these types of shows is often hard for me to handle, but I ended up really liking ‘The Good Detective’.

3 Likes

great, then I’ll continue watching :sweat_smile: The corruption is more boring than annoying to me - same old money-hungry, evil politicians and higher-ups - that’s why I really liked While You Were Sleeping. For the first time in forever, his entire prosecutor team was good. Though they had different personalities and some didn’t like him, they still were good people who stood for justice. It was refreshing and I loved it. I didn’t expect the drama to finish off as one of my favorite dramas according to MDL, but it deserves its place there.

3 Likes

I watched Silenced on NF last night. I love Gong Yoo and this did not disappoint. I am not a parent but the plot of this based on true events movie angered me on so many levels. Have tissues ready.

6 Likes

This must be new on NF, isn’t it?

3 Likes

I have to believe they know they’re losing the license to a show WELL before it expires. It truly can’t be that hard to add a line on the channel page that says “This show will not be available in [insert country here] after [insert date here].” I mean, that took me literally ten seconds to type out.

1 Like

Yes, I believe it is as of this month. I found it in the ‘Gems’ category. There are various bands on the NF screen like ‘Continue Watching’, ‘Trending’, etc. ‘Gems’ can be found kinda hidden beneath all of those. Just keep scrolling downward until you find it. I’ve found some pretty good stuff there. :wink:

5 Likes