What are you currently watching?

I got confused about the same thing–give our SJK the monoclonals and let me come over on the next plane with soup! :rofl: Not that all the other actors don’t deserve soup and good wishes, but in a world where a lot of the actors can be a little interchangeable I think SJK’s charisma and personality that he brings to roles is totally unique. Even when he’s a less major character, like in Sungkyunkwan Scandal, he’s still a star.

2 Likes

Well, I’m Lee Joon Gi-biased, so I’ll be the one flying over there with soup and good wishes for him :upside_down_face::sweat_smile: He’s my favorite - I love the way he brings out emotions and charisma in his roles. I always feel like I’m right there on an emotional rollercoaster with him when I watch his shows. And I’ll never ever get tired of watching him kick ass :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::joy:

2 Likes

I actually haven’t seen any dramas where he had a prominent role! Looking over the list, all I’ve seen is a few episodes of Hotel del Luna (this one just didn’t grab me) and She Was Pretty. Maybe I should check his dramas out!

3 Likes

Please consider this a PSA. :wink::smile::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
I was pleasantly surprised to see Viki recently released Lovers in Paris. This is a 2004 K-drama which was co-written by Kim Eun-sook and Shin Woo-chul. Kim Eun-sook was also the screenwriter for, ‘On Air (2008), Secret Garden (2010), A Gentleman’s Dignity (2012), The Heirs (2013), Descendants of the Sun (2016), Guardian: The Lonely and Great God (2016–2017), Mr. Sunshine (2018) and The King: Eternal Monarch (2020)’ (source: Wickipedia). Perhaps you can imagine my delight to see that Viki is carrying this drama as I consider Kim to be one of my favorite K-drama screenwriters. In watching the first few episodes, I can see how her writing has matured through the years but I still consider this a gem.

5 Likes

:open_mouth:

That’s cool :blush:

2 Likes

I’m watching

I hope they don’t ruin the ending because it’s really good. I don’t want to see it here:

4 Likes

Sure!
He usually does one romance and one hardcore action in alternate years… my favorites are Lawless Lawyer and Flower of Evil.

1 Like

@leerla73
I had to think about how I managed to not get the stars misaligned and it was because I saw the article about Joon Gi contracting the ‘human malware’ a day or so earlier and was able to point you straight to the article, even though you misaligned the stars. So to be fair, I’m just as bad as you are because I didn’t even notice you got the stars misaligned I just went on autopilot. So in a way @vivi_1485 corrected us both :joy:

For the record, I’m not very good at remembering names, even in English :neutral_face: so I’m very likely to do more silly stuff like this :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

:joy::joy::joy: @command_234,

3 Likes

I have just started watching this one, kinda reminds me of rookie cops, y’know the training they went through and all. still going to watch it, Allen Ren is in it. I hope his character gets better though. no not gonna tell you, just watch it and see what I mean.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I also have started watching this one. so far its good

again don’t like waiting but here we are again

3 Likes

another one, and this struck home for me

https://mydramalist.com/695963-tomorrow episode 9

oh my goodness, the episode hit home, here’s MY story, I have a chi, who has that throat collapse, heart problems, and yes close for his time to go maybe another year, I got meds to give him to help him with his heavy breathing, the coughing and so on. what struck home, about his little fella dying, I don’t know if I will be able to handle that or not. guess I will have to wait & see but oh this one was so good and got me to think as well, oh dear I hope I didn’t give stuff away, just so upset at the moment

2 Likes

I personally am really enjoying “From Now On, Showtime!” but does anyone know why this is rated only 6.8 on Mydramalist?

2 Likes

Oh my goodness im going crazy over that!!! The drama actually had an 8.8 rating on Sunday, when the 2nd ep had just released. Suddenly, the rating just plunged to 7.7 and now IDK WHY it’s gone down to 6.8!! Most of us speculate that either MDL has a bug or people are hate-rating/ grudge-rating. I’m enjoying it thoroughly, and there really is absolutely no justified reason to give it a 6.8 rating. The actors are amazing, the ratings in SK are increasing, the Viki rating is 9.7, and the plot has been pretty intriguing. The whole thing is so funny, and I’m already shipping the two characters.

3 Likes

and I really enjoy that drama, yeah wonder why the low ratings?

2 Likes

I’m glad it’s good! It’s on my list (glad to see some new romance kdramas on Viki that aren’t bite-sized).

I started Sh**ting Stars and am loving it even though the concept (romance between star and someone who works at the management company) has been done before. So far it feels very fresh nonetheless. And I’ve enjoyed both leads in other projects - Oh Nam Ju is back! And FL (Lee Sung Kyung) is just stunning.

Taking a break from The Lady in Butcher’s House because the characters’ actions are just too nonsensical. I still think the drama has potential and mostly I enjoy watching it, but I’m at episode 10 (>1/4 through) and just need to step away for a bit. I keep wanting to yell at them to stop doing stupid things. I normally love the period c-drama mystery-solving teams (Under the Power, Imperial Coroner, Maiden Holmes) and was looking forward to something similar.

3 Likes

The Taiwanese version of Playful Kiss/Itazura Na Kiss/Mischievous Kiss

Season 1: It Started With a Kiss (2005)
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLk2gvyPpHLReeXzQUBv33BJ8YncN8qY9j
Season 2: They Kiss Again (2007)
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLyuL3s_QBoVvMjX4OIVPcBWfESMhX-nDd

Okay I was soooo surprised at my extreme sadness when I found out I was done with the show and there was no more to watch :sob: I came to this drama with zero expectations. I never watch anything older than 2010, and this is from 2005! I was actually curious because Playful Kiss/Mischievous Kiss had such terrible reviews, so I wanted to see just how bad the story was. At the same time, I didn’t want to waste time, so I searched around and saw that the Taiwanese version had the best ratings.

Season 1 told of their life from high school to their wedding, and Season 2 deals with what happens after that. For almost all of the 40 eps, the two families live together - FL and her dad with ML, ML’s parents and little brother.

I won’t defend its flaws. The original manga isn’t the best story out there. But there was something so captivating about it. In a nutshell, it’s about a perfect genius popular tsundere guy living aimlessly, and a clumsy, silly-but-sweet girl with set goals - but all of them revolve around him. I braced myself because I knew ML was going to be a meanie and FL wasn’t going to have a life outside him.

The thing is… he wasn’t as mean as I expected. I’d read Playful Kiss reviews talking about how extremely toxic and unbearable it was, but he was definitely not as mean as the ML in Secret Garden. A comment I read gave all the credit to the TW version’s actor, Joseph Cheng. I haven’t watched the other versions, but I agree with everything the writer says about the TW version’s character.
Definitely. I loved his micro-expressions. They drew me away from the words he was saying, and made me think about what was going on in his head. He was definitely not a stiff, carved-from-stone character - since there are 40 eps, you slowly learn to see the differences in his expression even when the words are the same - when he’s actually serious, when he’s feeling awkward or shy or hurting inside, when he’s just playing around and teasing(that’s when his dimple comes out of hiding)… kudos to Joe Cheng, seriously.

Season 1 was nice, but Season 2 was just the cherry on top. It made me feel giddy and silly and just… high :joy: The ML was way more affectionate in this one, and I loved that they developed the characters really well. There was no magical about-turn in their attitudes. They felt like real people trying to adapt to situations and become better people. They didn’t change completely, sometimes they just worked around the other’s weaknesses. I loved that they addressed the issues with the relationship instead of sliding it under the rug.

• They confronted ML’s behavior, made him know what he was doing wrong, instead of turning him into a “good, doting partner” overnight just because he was in love. I really liked the way he grew, from bashfully reacting with anger/callousness to save his pride, to slowly putting his feelings into words. He didn’t magically become smooth with words. It felt so real.

• They addressed FL’s dependency on ML. She wasn’t exactly a doormat character, but her life’s plans all seemed to revolve around him. However, she was also stubborn and her tenacity was admirable. I liked the way they developed her character, too. I really liked the way they addressed the inevitable feeling of “Is he with me just because I pursued him non-stop or does he really like me?” after they got together. It felt like the elephant in the room at times, and I’m glad they addressed it. I do wish the FL was a little more capable, though. I blame it on the manga writer.
    Screenshot_20220429-203341_YouTube
    Other things I liked:

• FOR ONCE IN DRAMALAND, the FL had an amazing relationship with the ML’s family. All ML’s coldness was offset by his hilariously dorky family, who accepted her from Day 1, loving her and treating her like a family member(well, all except the little brother). The mom was one of the cutest characters, and she treated FL like a daughter - to the point where ML had to complain about the favoritism :joy: She did go overboard sometimes, but it was all part of the character. She loved the FL to pieces, and it was refreshing to watch. I almost cried whenever FL went running to her crying “Mommyyyyyyy” (FL doesn’t have a mom)
    Screenshot_20220429-235707_YouTube
    Screenshot_20220429-163833_YouTube
    Well, she does go overboard sometimes
    Screenshot_20220430-185651_Instagram
    Screenshot_20220430-185727_Instagram

• The FL and ML’s little brother. This was another funny and refreshing relationship. The brother was a lot like the ML, all bashful and rude to her at first, but she found a way into his heart somehow. They were like a very normal, bickering pair of siblings. So funny to watch her matchmake and tease him, while he’d be irrationally rude to her - but both would stick up for each other in a heartbeat.

• The ML and FL’s dad. The dad was like his confidante, one who would listen to him and give him advice instead of assuming he could do everything perfectly right, like all the others.

• The ML and his little brother. They were honestly so funny, replicas of each other - I wish I could see this relationship in more dramas
    Screenshot_20220430-185425_Instagram
    Screenshot_20220430-185503_Instagram

• The family. I loved that no one was irrationally overprotective of their child - they truly consider themselves as one big family.
    Screenshot_20220430-012933_YouTube

• NO serious love triangles. ML just ignored all his many fans and FL was oblivious to any guys after her. If she did come to know, she’d just directly turn them down. There was one guy who was with her during a really tough phase with her husband, and I liked the way they handled that arc. It felt organic.

All in all, I’d say this one of my guilty pleasures. I already feel like re-watching it. I gave Season 1 an 8.0 and Season 2 a 9.5. Season 1 can be a little difficult to get through at times, but it sets the stage for a very satisfying season 2. I usually hate high school dramas, but it was coupled with cohabitation and was somehow not so bad. It had some of the best build-up and kiss scenes I’ve ever seen. The key was in the build-up, and they executed it very well. The romance was sooooooooo good, I could feel the chemistry and their growing love for each other. It made me feel all warm and giddy inside.
Screenshot_20220429-170850_YouTube
Screenshot_20220430-122811_YouTube
It’s outrageous at times and can get pretty cringey, but cut it some slack, people - it’s from 2005. In compensation, it was so satisfyingly romantic and so funny, and I fell in love with everyone, for better or for worse. Joe Cheng’s dimples and Ariel Lin’s smile - I AM IN LOVE :sob::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

8 Likes

Taiwanese dramas in that era was just impeccable. I shall be putting this in my invisible, “to-watch” list. I never thought about watching it since there’s 2 seasons. I didn’t like the attitude of the ML for this saga so I thought I’d never watch 40 episodes of him. Reading your review makes me want to watch it though. I miss the glory of Taiwanese dramas.

3 Likes

I never got to appreciate the glory of Taiwanese dramas. I seem to have a bad impression of them, even though I’ve watched only three and all three are in my top list(Lost Romance and two seasons of this). I did start a few dramas and drop them because they were ridiculous… Any recommendations?

3 Likes

YES! Glad you asked! :smile:

Autumn’s Concerto
Mars
Devil Beside You
Murphy’s Law of Love
Hello Again!
Why Why Love
Bromance

These are personal favs. They are all old but enjoyable. Hopefully something stands out to you. ^-^

4 Likes

Thank you! Lots of dramas to check out now! :heart_eyes: I have a serious liking for old TW dramas now - the complete opposite when I’m searching for C or K dramas

2 Likes