What are you currently watching?

It’s on Hoooolu, watched it last month and loved it. @frustratedwriter

2 Likes

I grew up watching reruns of Basil Rathbone’s 1939 series of films based on Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes. Hence my propensity toward detective stories.

Many years later I discovered films and dramas about Di Renjie.

Recently I discovered Strange Tales of the Tan Dynasty (2022) which has satisfied my detective mystery appetite for the time being. I was pleased to read a new ‘season’ would premiere soon, perhaps 2024.

It would be wonderful if Viki could license this series.

3 Likes

KING THE LAND - Although (in my opinion) the actress lacks so much (definitely NOT in looks), but definitely in acting (some pretty FL thinks beauty is all they need and put not much effort in acting), the ML is so funny in this drama; that all I do is laugh and laugh. The jealousy scenes are his best ones.

GYEONG SEONG CREATURE - This story during Joseon era is a bit WAYYYYY… too fake for me, and the ‘‘romantic couple’’ has not much chemistry whatsoever…(imo) I am enjoying each episode as I go along bc the ML is one of my fave bc he’s a natural born actor and he looks normal; not a chiseled mask with a ghost looking skin. The ghost look skin on the GUYS is horrible to put up with since the FL add lipstick that helps to k i l l the creepy ghost looking face. I wish they stop with that exaggerated white make up.

3 Likes

I find recently the TV Guide for Standard Pass (Europe) looks quite bleak.
I don’t watch Anime, nor BL nor Japanese.
I missing more Korean drama or at least give us few more additional movies.

I really hoped Viki would share also with Standard the Korean Khitan War, but no… not happening… what else is there?? It seems the offers are shrinking… :frowning: and that during holidays…
@vikicommunity

3 Likes

This is a good one. :face_with_monocle: :+1:

3 Likes

WATCHING NOW…

MELANCHOLIA- SK

REBEL MOON - a child of Fire. RATED R bc very graphic, violent, bloody images etc…

HIDDEN BLADE- CHINA- MOVIE

DETECTION OF DI RENJIE- MOVIE 2020

THE PORTABLE DOOR- MOVIE 2023

REACHER - SEASON 2

2 Likes

Here I go again with the ‘old’ stuff. I’m currently watching Sealed With a Kiss, a 2011 C-drama I found on YT. 31 episodes, I’m on 24 right now. Yes, I’ve been binging. Starring Hawick Lau and Ying Er. The FL goes through some serious trials and tribulations in this drama.

(bing)

3 Likes

I’m going to HIGHLY recommend the Taiwanese drama [MY EX] is a BL movie with my most admired Taiwanese actor ROY CHIU. SADLY, he seems to be following the trend actors are going through now of looking extremely sickly and anorexic. The story has its moments of laughter and painful moments. IN my opinion deserves an award.

I’m having a hard time dealing with SONG KANG extreme anorexic look. I hope this stop
since if you noticed the girl in MY DEMON Kim Yoo Jung has a bee waist from her extreme lost weight or surgery. Either that or she removed two lower bottom ribs to get the bee like looking waist. Her bones in her neck are protruding and is not a pretty thing to see at all…

I’m so worried about her becoming obsessed with her looks since she has been beautiful since she was a baby. All those plastic surgeries she doesn’t need them at all. Asian actors and people in general need to love themselves, and see the beauty they really have bc if anything, some look so plastic with all those surgeries, and in the long run the ones benefiting are those unscrupulous plastic surgeons. Asian people have a different kind of beauty, and they need to see it, and love themselves for who they are, and not a jigsaw puzzle of other people’s nose, eye shape, etc… It breaks my heart the pain they have to endure with all those surgeries when they were good looking all along… :cry: :cry: :cry:

I also recommend…
[MY MAN IS CUPID] once you get over the insanely BORING first episode, the story gets better, and the couple have ‘‘some’’ chemistry, but there’s another girl that I hope she gets future first role since she’s better acting than FL (in my opinion).

3 Likes

Started watching an older (but new to Nx) medical J-drama, specifically covering the maternity ward: “Dr. Storks.” It can sometimes feel a bit like a PSA on pregnancy health, but I’ve gotten attached to the characters, and the stories are mostly touching.

Kounodori (2015) - MyDramaList

3 Likes

@my_happy_place

I started watching that one too, but is on hold because I’m avoiding dramas that make me feel like crying.

They have a lot of great Japanese dramas/movies on [nx] I’m gonna list the ones I watched and loved them too.

They also added TONS of Indian dramas/movies, but I have to look into it later on.

1 Like

This is definitely a side effect of this show. I wasn’t totally prepared for just how much, though I should have been. I usually avoid dramas that make me cry too, but I’m already sucked in. I’ll just keep tissues more handy going forward. (I didn’t have them within reach when I started :cry:)

2 Likes

[quote=“angelight313_941, post:5515, topic:25118”]
[MY MAN IS CUPID]
this one is sooo cute. love it
also

the next one is almost the same but different too

fantastic doctors (YT)

just finished up stealer, was quite good

4 Likes
4 Likes

Just seen that one advertized, hmmmm may check it out/marry my husband

1 Like

Recently binged another old but new to Nx J-drama. It’s from 2004 apparently, but it seems to have aged pretty well. The FL is deaf and speaks only in sign language. I can’t speak to the accuracy, but I really appreciated how they incorporated it. This was just a lovely, relatively easy watch.

Orange Days (2004) - MyDramaList

4 Likes

I’m probably the oddball in the group but I really like this type of drama. I’m currently watching a K-drama, Tell Me That You Love Me (the ML lost his hearing at the age of five due to a high fever) and it’s been very good so far except that it’s hard to wait for each episode to drop. Thanks for the heads-up!

Tell Me That You Love Me (2023) - MyDramaList

Update: I just finished watching Tell Me That You Love Me which is currently on D+. I really liked it but I do have a soft spot for movies or dramas that feature handicapped individuals. In this case, the ML is deaf from an early age and his birth mother abandons him at an orphanage. Just that part really gets to me. Basically, the story is about the struggles between the ML and the FL who have fallen in love and how they work to overcome setbacks to be together.
I understand that these types of stories (deaf/using sign language, etc. to communicate) are not everyone’s cup of tea, but I find them inspirational as they speak to the power of love. Yes, the drama moves a bit slower due to the translation issues between the couple but that doesn’t bother me at all.

4 Likes

Currently watching lots of BLs :sob: Pitbabe, Cherry Magic, For Him, Sahara sensei, Twins, The Sign, DFF, Cooking Crush, Playboyy. I’m liking alot only Pitbabe and Cherry Magic tho.

3 Likes

Love 101! Its a turkish coming of age drama on ■■■■■■■ and is one of the best shows ive seen in a really long time. A rag-tag group of “bad” kids play emma on their teachers so they dont get expelled. It has beautifully crafted and relatable characters and character arcs. 11/10 recommend:)

2 Likes

Many good shows are on other streaming platforms, I wished Viki would also bring those even if they are streamed later :pray: :cry: It looks to me the Korean content library is getting thinner, also no movies have been added lately… in particular for Standard access. But so much Anime… I tried and couldn’t go on, if it were just a movie, but… those continuous episodes… :thinking:

6 Likes

same here simi11, I hate going to those other ones, but I have been going there, wonder if they are going out of business? yeah I know, thats not so. but bet a lot are leaving here, huh? the ones I mentioned earlier is from other platforms…

4 Likes