What are you currently watching?

I guess I’m a little weird but it’s my main hobby.

I’m guessing I’m weird too bc I also write my personal feelings about the drama I watched, and I also have ratings like: excellent/ tragic ending (I give those an F). I separate Chinese, Japanese dramas bc they are so different when it comes to ratings too.

Is good to keep up notes when other ppl. ask us questions bc we can take our notes to refresh our memory of what we saw.

4 Likes

if it’s weird then I’m in the weird squad with you lol😂 if I REALLY love a drama, my diary gets like three pages full of me ranting, screaming, melting, fangirling and a general review. I also keep a list of dramas I’ve watched with a 1-5 star rating system…but for the really good ones I add a few more stars😅

Started watching my first TW drama “Lost Romance” extremely hilarious till now, LOVE the kdrama-teasing concept + the actors…hope the comedy and plot stay strong to the end! Also WOW my poor innocent kdrama mind has been SHOOK by the romance scenes :scream: :joy:
abandoned ZD…guess I just don’t enjoy fantasy? it didn’t draw me in and I felt no chemistry :sweat:

5 Likes

I was considering watching ZD but since I already have like a billion dramas I’m watching right now it’s on the back burner. I watch some dramas even if they don’t interest me just so I can write about them in my log book. I have info on actors, locations, music, etc…

4 Likes

Record of Youth on ntflx

4 Likes

i recommend if you need some laughter in your life you see ZD some parts are so funny you’ll have a great time watching.

5 Likes

I recommend you watch; GHOST IN THE SHELL. Very interesting bc is so different and special effects are awesome!

2 Likes

Did you happen to catch the slang term 모태솔로 (mo-tae-solo) in Episode 12 of ZD? It’s a combination of Chinese (母胎) and English (solo) and I would translate it as “solo since birth”. A very popular term in modern K-dramas.:wink:

7 Likes

hehe I subscribe to a korean learning site’s newsletter, and they have this huge PDF on modern Korean slang…one of the only things I learned and remember from that was this word, since I found quite funny and an apt way of summarizing my love life in one word lol

4 Likes

You are still young and, with your bubbly personality, I am sure you won’t be 모태솔로 for long.:wink:

4 Likes

Ok so I started START UP more bc of Suzy Bae whom I adopted as my Asian daughter. Ever since her spoiled brat role in BIG, and fighting all her bullies through the years made me her #1 fan. Start Up started in a grim note and twice I turned it off, but today I decided to give it another chance and GOSH, am I happy I did.

Although it’s a drama of very young ppl. it got me hooked, and I hope you guys check it out. i am so sad that viki site who use to have the up to date dramas available is now LEFT BEHIND. Let’s hope they catch up soon bc no one should go from best to worse. I miss my ZOMBIE DETECTIVE so much l need the laughter it brought into my life.

3 Likes

Something like we say in English: ‘‘ON MY OWN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN.’’
some people say: I’ve been alone since I was born (all my life). I always say I’ve been alone all my life.’’

I have noticed that Chinese ppl. reinvented words by combining English in to their Chinese words, which I think is fantastic bc we understand them better and is a better way to communicate.

2 Likes

Other than ZD, I think most of dramas I’ve been watching (and enjoying) lately are on nf unfortunately. Itaewon Class, Mr. Sunshine, Record of Youth, Private Lives… and I guess I will add Start Up to my watch list as well. Is it just my imagination or is Viki inundated with web/idol dramas now? I can hardly find any drama I want to work on.

3 Likes

You must be like me that I have to like the drama/show/movie to work on it bc otherwise is a dragggggg that i detest to feel when subbing. What kills me is that they have too many young couple with the same boring scenes: drunken girl, piggy back rides those scenes are so annoying to me once i see that i book and drop it like a hot potato lol.

1 Like

And don’t forget the ever present love triangles. It would kill me if I ever get stuck translating a 20-episode drama that I don’t enjoy. Thank goodness this is a volunteer work.:wink:

2 Likes

Volunteer work but still if you commit you have to go on and complete it.
So I wouldn’t say “thank goodness”. If the drama is bad or you don’t like it, it’s just as bad as non-volunteer jobs if the drama is bad. In my opinion, much worse. Because in the case of the paid work the prospect of the money that awaits you at the end is a big consolation.

1 Like

True and I didn’t mean that it’s a good thing that I can quit anytime. I meant it’s good that I have the choice of what work to take on. If I take responsibility lightly and don’t think twice about abandoning a project then I wouldn’t even be worried about the possibility of being stuck doing something I don’t enjoy. I am sorry if there was any misunderstanding but I think you can see that I made the comment in a light hearted manner, even using an emoji.

3 Likes

Oh, I see.
I also try to choose at the very best of my knowledge, but with on-air dramas sometimes you do have bad surprises. You think that an interesting plot, your favorite actor or a writer who has written a masterpiece before would be a guarantee, but sadly this is not always the case.

1 Like

You are absolutely right about bad surprises. Probably one of the reasons why I would stay away from working on a long drama. At least if it’s a short one, even if the drama doesn’t quite meet my expectations, it would be bearable.:blush:

4 Likes

Just finished TW drama ‘Lost in Romance’…It went from being hilariously hilarious to melodramatic for a few eps and then ended so ROMANTICALLY…:smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts: One of the most satisfying endings ever, I ended it feeling giddy and happy, its been SUCH a long timee!! Marcus Chang and Vivian Sung have L.O.A.D.S of chemistry!!
This is, hopefully, my last drama for the year 2020.:sob::sob::sob: I say ‘hopefully’, because I know I need to start crazy serious studying now, and I better have enough self control. :confounded: goodbye, DramaLand!!!

7 Likes

I guess it’s time to buckle down and study for final exams. 화이팅!

2 Likes