What are you currently watching?

I just started Just Between Lovers. EP 5 and so far I really like it. Is the ending sad?? I don’t like sad endings. I finished off two of the other dramas I was watching. For some reason I can’t watch More Than Friends on my computer, just my TV. It’s a little inconvenient since I work in my Nerd Lair so I have to watch most shows on my laptop while I work. I guess when I finish Just Between Lovers I’ll start Zombie Detective because you all have peaked my interests. I’m so glad I discovered this community :sparkling_heart::sparkling_heart:

3 Likes

It’s not sad, but don’t expect it to be a comedy. Still it is one of my favorite dramas.

3 Likes

It seems pretty heart wrenching so far. I’ve already cried twice. Best female lead I’ve seen in a long time for sure.

1 Like

Just Between Lovers is a really good one. You will enjoy it. As to Zombie Detective, it is a zombie drama so there will be some blood but it is more of a comedy than a horror drama. There are numerous pop culture references and cameo appearances as well so if you have a good sense of humor, you will enjoy it. If you are looking for romantic scenes, you will be disappointed though.

6 Likes

The worse part for me is that no matter how much I hated the drama I stuck with it until the end and sometimes I cried from the boredom of subbing that drama (especially the Chinese ones: Cuo Xi Ying?) (that is why I stopped subbing those traditional chinese dramas). I can tolerate modern chinese dramas bc they have less sayings, and less complex dialogues or those 1 through 7 brothers? I hate that with a passion!

Is great that we do have a choice to work in what we want bc if not we would definitely have less volunteers working here. the best part we have many volunteers that love Chinese dramas so there is a fair balance.

I always say volunteer work has to be treated with the same respect as a paying job, But I’ll be damn if I ever get stuck doing subbing in a drama I detest bc of long senseless dialogues.:rofl:

2 Likes

I worked as a volunteer at my local hospital before Covid and I volunteered quite a bit at schools when my kids were younger so I have high respect for volunteers in general but especially for those who are qualified enough to get paid for their service but choose to donate their time and skills. I see that Viki has quite a few of those individuals but the question is does Viki know that and is Viki doing enough to keep up their morale?:thinking:

8 Likes

In my opinion, they don’t. But they change the CEO so often here that I feel that may be the reason why things go under the ‘‘rugs’’ here. I have never seen a CEO message of appreciation for the volunteers, that work so hard at this site (don’t include me). Forgive me if I’m wrong but I think words would spread if that ever happened here.

I need to mention that the movies here are really awesome and Suspect is one of my favorite bc I love Gong Yoo as an actor.

2 Likes

I loved Gong Yoo in Suspect. Viki does have a lot of quality dramas and movies. That’s why I am a Viki Pass Plus subscriber.:blush:

4 Likes

I never expected I would be able to be part of a Community discussion on my favorite shows after a horrible experience this past summer with Viki Pass Plus.

When I logged in to my account, ad-free shows buffered literally EVERY five minutes in such a way that the screen would freeze, dialog would continute, and then suddenly for a minute or two, everything would be in sync before the screen froze again.

When I simply navigated across the Web to Viki and watched shows with ads and without logging in, they ran fine with no buffering whatsoever.

Because this buffering effect had been part of my Viki Pass Plus membership long enough for me to have spent the value of a small iPad, I complained about it but received no response whatsoever.

I was very unhappy not to be able to participate in the community, but I didn’t know how to address the issue until a friend who is an IT guy changed my computer’s operating to a version of Linux that works very much like Windows. Since late August of this year, I have had no problems whatsoever with Viki buffering, and in fact the speed and quality of videos is so much better that I feel as if I’ve gotten a new computer (even though it’s 10 years old or more).

I don’t know why I thought anyone in charge of any aspect of Viki would have admitted culpability in my problems with buffering . . . that would have create a precedent in which other members might have asked my same questions, become very unhappy instead of annoyed, and perhaps asked for money back.

Since the service Viki offers is of value to me even with the really crappy super-chaebol unwillingness to take responsibility in the area of customer service, I have signed up again for Viki Pass Plus and am ambivalently glad to be able to take part in discussions.

So, in ass-backward fashion, let me put my topic paragraph at the end of my essay. I have been watching and mostly enjoying Tale of the Nine Tail. When my sisters and I were small, my mom read us lots of myths, legends, and fairy tales from different parts of the world, and Viki shows drawing on those types of stories are my favorite.

I am happy to see a lead role being taken by Lee Dong-wook who was in “Guardian: The Lonely and Great God.” I guess it is the fashion once again for male leads in K-dramas to look like flower boys instead of healthy, normal guys, because his red hair and super-pale skin make him look sick. Fortunately, his excellent acting skills are powerful enough to overcome that unfortunate aspect of his character.

1 Like

I’m really enjoying Kairos (even though it’s not a genre I usually watch)and it’s getting great reviews now. I recommend giving it a try!
In fact I came to the discussions because it seems to be taking an unusually long time to get subtitles for the drama and I was wondering if the subbers were ill. But I see from other comments that some shows just aren’t so popular with people who create the subtitles. I’m very grateful and appreciative of the subbers and I’m not complaining (since I don’t do any subbing myself), but I do find I’m watching more Kdramas on Netflix even though I’d prefer to watch shows on Viki.
BTW, both my husband and I are really enjoying Start Up!

3 Likes

I only watched half of the first episode for Kairos but it looked interesting. I will probably go back to finish it later. I recently finished helping translate Alice, another time travel drama, so I am taking a little break from time travel theme.
This is just my theory but most of the on air Korean shows, unless it’s a web/idol drama, usually are left in the hands of less than a handful of English translators. Viewers have gotten very impatient so they start watching shows even before each episode is completely subbed and edited which perhaps makes some translators shy away from helping out. We have many highly qualified Korean-English translators but not enough to handle the demand. In Zombie Detective, it was usually myself and one other translator for each episode and there were a couple episodes where I was the solo translator. The volunteers have been making suggestions to Viki to better inform the viewers as to how Viki works. Let’s hope they listen.
By the way, why do you prefer watching shows on Viki?

2 Likes

@vivi_1485, did you see that there is a channel created for Awaken? It’s not licensed yet though. Let’s keep our fingers crossed.

1 Like

Because of the community and the mutual exchange!
I am also such a YT commentary reader.

What is “Kairos”? - please enlighten me.

1 Like

Ah, yes! I really enjoy the community as well. Also, I find the reviews and comments very useful if you ignore the usual complaints about availability of subtitles.

4 Likes

Not licensed here, though … :frowning:

2 Likes

As often. Thank you!

1 Like

Thank you @mirjam_465! I still don’t know how to copy and paste. I have to ask my kids for help. At least no one can accuse me of using Google Translate. lol.

4 Likes

Lol, technically you could type everything into Google Translate and then type GT’s answer back into the subtitle editor! :rofl:

1 Like

You are talking to someone who just recently learned to open a new tab.:rofl:

4 Likes

Still you’re already subbing! With most people it doesn’t happen in that order! :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes