What are you currently watching?

Just finished Dance of the Phoenix. I watched it mainly because Xu Kai Cheng was in it. :smirk: (He’s a cutie) I liked it a lot. Fantasy about good versus evil, versus fate, love and hate, versus, whatever. Good sets and outfits. It was all in there. I liked it until the very last scene which I considered a COP-OUT. It did not make sense to those who did not read the book. Will they have a season 2?

ok spoiler: Why did Mr spiritual teacher guy (forgot his name) have to come and take the Female lead away at her wedding? I mean, yes he had promised to send her back when everything was set back to rights but why wait until her fiance, the prince, whom she LOVED, was ON THE WAY to pick up his bride and take her home? She was dressed in her red wedding gown with her veil over her face waiting for her fiance and who shows up? TEACHER! to take her home! That SUCKS! What happens to the prince when he shows up and his wife is GONE? like WTF! She got snatched at the last minute! and that was that. end of show. WHAT?!?

The one I really like now, and have to wait for the next episodes is Twisted Fate of Love. It took a bit for me to warm up to the ML but he is actually a good actor. His character is interesting and the plot is complex and moves along. He and the FL have good chemistry. Sets are gorgeous! I would LOVE to live in some of those manors! :sunglasses: I am just impatient for the next episode.

MR QUEEN! WATCH IT! Modern Blue House chef (Choi Jin Hyuk)takes a stage left off a balcony, does a dive into a pool and konks his head and wakes up in a young Joseon queen’s body. the setting is a typically murderous royal family versus evil, ambitious left ministers attempting to supplant the royal family with their own loyal relatives. Funny! Raunchy! Off Color! Hilarious! gender bender and every episode does not disappoint! Well worth MY time anyway. Lots of laughs in this one. Shin Hye Sun has ‘channeled’ Choi Jin Hyuk’s Bro character PERFECTLY! The Queen sneaks out and goes to a Giseang house for a night of debauchery and ‘refuses’ the touch of the king cuz why would a bro like a man? eh? :laughing: the King, Kim Jung Hyun, is so deadpan funny!

IMG_20201224_225301%5B1%5D

That ongoing "노트치" (No touch) konglish joke runs rampant through several episodes right when it’s needed. :rofl: Poor oblivious king says to his queen that he is going to practice ‘노트치’ as he reaches out for her. She shakes him off in dismay. My only complaint is I HAVE TO WAIT for the next episodes.

3 Likes

Umm…I’m not the psych-major, it was @feyfayer :grin: personally, I’m not very interested in the subject and would rather fix people’s physical problems than their mental ones. However, psychology i a very important job and I’m glad for the people who do that job :gift_heart:

Yes, I agree, but the reason it was so frustrating is that he left his support systems behind. I felt like his staying there would just worsen his own condition; I wanted him to be closer to the people who will support him and take care of him. Sure, he can pursue whoever he wants and take care of his brother, but at least stay with other people. I thought it was a pretty dangerous decision to make. He should at least have dinners and go to sleep knowing that people HE can lean on are just downstairs. At one point it seemed like he was pushing that best friend of his to the side and that just frustrated me. That guy has no traumas himself but has followed him and his brother around everywhere. I don’t want to call either FL or Sang Tae ‘toxic’, but it’s like between them, they were sucking his life and sanity from him slowly. Obviously they’re not to blame for their own conditions, but looking at it just for ML’s own good, that was the case.

Yes!! I first loved him in Touch Your Heart, even though he was a side character, he portrayed his character so well!!

2 Likes

@lutra I just finished The Great Show, beautiful family drama :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Would have given it more stars if it focused a little more on the kids arc but oh well, the politics side of it was eye-opening. I loved both ML and SML, glad to see Im Joo Hwan as a good guy. It was so hard to choose who to vote :joy: Aghhh Da Jung’s baby was such a cutie, everything felt worth it at the end.
I have only one question: WHY is it classified as a rom-com??! I would have classified it as family comedy or something because it definitely WASN’T romantic-- the FL and ML didn’t have a single romantic scene (can’t exactly count the part where he hugs her when she cries because anyone would do that)!! Da Jung and her bf had some scenes but it wasn’t at all enough to classify it as a romance.
Aish, after those episodes of IOTNBO i was looking for a fluffy rom-com :sweat_smile::sweat_smile: Viki tricked me. :joy:

3 Likes

I just finished watching both seasons of the Japanese drama Liar Game and the movie continuation, Liar Game: The Final Show. I loved every episode! I have only watched around 10 or 11 Japanese dramas (I have to be in the mood for them) and this definitely ranks in my top three favorite dramas! No romance, pure mind games and deception and lots of ‘evil’ laughing. Whenever a character laughed evilly, I laughed along with them because it was overdone to the point of comedic effect. The FL and ML are like gears, they mesh together so well. She is his heart and he is her mind. I would say it is more complex than the Korean version, but the backstory in the Korean version is much more touching and deep. As the games got more complex, I couldn’t keep up with the strategies, but I still enjoyed watching. I guess I have a special place in my heart for mind-game and psychological dramas like Liar Game, White Christmas, and Fallen Angel.

2 Likes

Just for all those drama-bingers who sit through angst and thrill, mystery and suspense-- found another ball of fluff short-drama to take a break and recharge all those crazy emotions, bring a huge gooey smile to your face, and melt your insides:

the previous one was Kiss Goblin :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

again, you’re supposed to leave your brain and logic behind while watching.

1 Like

Well, I don’t know maybe by Korean standard as they end up together … :wink:

1 Like

Yes, very valid points and I agree with you. He shouldn’t have left his support system. I thought I wrote this in my last post, but I guess I deleted it :sweat_smile: However, I think you were viewing the drama as the ML being the ‘normal’ in this situation and I didn’t. Maybe because I know someone with a similar situation to him in real life and saw some of their behaviours in him, but the ML has more anti-social tendencies than the average person. His behaviour made sense to me through that lens.

The best friend… I still haven’t formed an opinion on why he’s like that :laughing:

But yes, even though some of the issues get resolved, I don’t think you’ll be happy watching this drama. Just skip it :wink: Maybe try to watch it when you’re in a different stage of your life - I’ve had that with some dramas. Or don’t :blush:.

Yes, he’s also great in When the Camelia blooms. Definitely a scene-stealer actor :smile:

Have you watched Dating in the Kitchen? It’s silly, cringey, the leads have a ton of chemistry and I think it falls in that category :joy:. There are some annoying characters / story developments though.

1 Like

True! I was happier with the characters and their behaviours than I was with most “psychology” dramas out there. One of the better researched dramas. And yes, I’m the psych-major here :blush:.

2 Likes

Atualmente estou dando uma segunda chance para “Meu amor das estrelas” e estou gostando.
Não sei porquê eu tinha abandonado antes :thinking: . Sem contar que o elenco é ótimo.

1 Like

@vivi_1485

Umm…I’m not the psych-major, it was @feyfayer :grin: personally, I’m not very interested in the subject and would rather fix people’s physical problems than their mental ones.

I see a future Doctor in the horizon? That’s wonderful to hear!

so I’m open to anyone trying to change my mind, but in my very humble opinion, IOTNBO does not deserve the high place it got.

If I’m not mistaken you’re saying that @vivi_1485 is majoring in psychology?@vivi_1485 This drama ( if you are a psychology major or not is irrelevant)

I read the sentence again, and I honestly don’t know how I missed that she meant @feyfayer was majoring in psychology.’’ Since from the get go I understood wrong: MY APOLOGIES to @vivi_1485 :sweat_smile:

On that note, I’m guessing you won’t continue watching the drama :disappointed:. I wished you would bc Episode 7 is too soon to drop it, and the drama is definitely worth watching until the very end. But that’s my personal opinion. I respect yours. Imo, you are honestly missing watching a very funny and satisfying ending. I’m re-watching the drama today.

2 Likes

The best friend… I still haven’t formed an opinion on why he’s like that :laughing:

I believe we know the reason why the friend was like that :rofl: but I’ll reserve my opinion, too.

I think you were viewing the drama as the ML being the ‘normal’ in this situation

He was the least normal there because while the others had found a cope mechanism to deal with their traumas ML had allowed the traumas, guilt etc…, to take over his life, and make him one miserable, anti- social human being; until fate/life gave him a chance to see the light at the end of the tunnel.(although the poor thing bad luck it almost cost him his life/sanity too).

I learn one thing from Asian dramas and that is to always expect to be disappointed in many parts of the dramas, so that way I don’t die… from disappointment. I HAVE fallen out of love with Asian dramas bc no matter how much the viewers ask and suggest changes, the writers stick to their one own set of repeated scenes and outdated happenings in the real world. We are in the 21st. century for god’s sake. When writing about Joseon/Historical era is understandable to stay with the ‘‘times’’ but now in our days? Give me a break…:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

PS> They need to keep up with the times.

1 Like

I Enjoyed Reading Your Spoiler For Dance of the Phoenix you made me laugh with gusto. They should have waited until the night was consummated, and then take her, right? hahaha

This is what I was referring to falling out of love with Asians dramas bc the writers producers, etc,love to push our buttons. I love reading spoilers now so I don’t become so angry I get high blood pressure. I feel we waste precious time in dramas that are so meaningless. They need to have happy endings, passionate kisses not this WTF? What? moments. It’s so unfair to us the viewers that I can’t understand what’s wrong with them people.

PS. I’m in love with MR. QUEEN drama so much, I watch w/o subs then with subs. I get anxiety waiting for subs lol But I’m prepared for disappointments bc they added episodes and when they do that we go around in circles until the end hits us in the face and will be a WTF? moment. Choi’s voice left so is already taking a nosedive for me bc Choi’s voice was what made the scene outrageously funny. I hope they bring back his voice bc I’m so sad about that happening and staying like that the rest of the drama? Please…no!

2 Likes

It caters the Korean audience more than the international audience, because when Koreans rise up and petition they almost always change stuff in the drama.

Well then, maybe you can stop watching them and focus on the whatever you like and come back when you feel like it. :blush: A break is really good, I fell out of love with dramas once and switched to reading. About a month later I was back to being a crazy fangirl in love with all those chicken shops and chaebols :joy:!!

Yes, I think I’ll try this :grin: I’ll also check out Dating in The Kitchen.

I noticed that too, is that the reason he distances himself from the support? My heart really hurt while watching them struggle :confounded: I’m thinking it’s overdose since I only recently watched He is Psychometric and Flower of Evil which both deal with mental problems…

3 Likes

so I went to Dating in The Kitchen’s page and this is how my mind went:
ooh, finally, it’s a romantic comedy! she said the actors have amazing chemistry!
oh no, food?!! awaeeee i can’t binge THAT, empty stomach or not, I’ll be dead looking at all that food!
ooh, another hate-love CEO drama I’ve been secretly craving for some time!
oh NO, TWENTY-FOUR 45-minute episodes??!!
oOH, 9.5 rating!
oh dear, it’s a c-drama, still kinda scared to watch them
oOOOOOH looking at the reviews, the chemistry is ExPLosIVE!
happy ending, yes, yes YESSSS!!!

:joy::joy: i’m struggling with indecision

2 Likes

I Loved Kiss Goblin! Wished there were more episodes.

1 Like

Well,
As true beauty is updating very slow :unamused::unamused: and i can’t wait so i am moving on to next drama and i dunno what to watch but thinking of flower of evil cause viki recommended it in ‘scratch to see recommended drama’
if anyone watched it, could you review and tell how it was,please :hugs::hugs:image

2 Likes

The plot is totally different and worth experiencing.
Staying true to its genre, it’s an amazing thriller, and a beautiful romance, and even manages to stick in some real comedy! The writers blend the action and suspense seamlessly with the beauty and love of family. Cinematography, OST, screenplay, acting, everything deserves praise. There are next to zero cliches, and that was refreshing. The chemistry between the leads feels totally real, they are husband and wife.

Just remember it’s R-rated for violence. Though the camera always cuts off before the person actually dies and knives are blurred, it’s still a little hard to digest for sensitive viewers. A gun is shot by a policeman only once, otherwise all other murders/attempted murders are knife violence or strangling.

Lee Joon Gi’s portrayal of Do Hyun Soo is mind-blowing, he has wonderfully brought this complex character to life.
It’s not a drama about falling in love, it’s not light or fluffy. It’s tough, and I love Cha Ji Won’s determination to stay with him till the end. She is one of the strongest leads I have ever seen, and her patience and love shine throughout the drama. As for Do Hyun Soo, the writers have done an amazing job getting the audience to root for him no matter what. I loved his will to ‘be a decent person’ for Cha Ji Won. The amount of practice and willpower he put into making his marriage work was just beautiful to watch.

I was just not very happy with the ending, I wish they hadn’t pulled the amnesia trope. I just wanted them to have a little more time for healing and just focus on them repairing their family. It seemed like way too many bad things happened continuously.

All in all, I feel this is one of the best-made dramas ever. The rollercoaster of emotions each actor takes you on is wonderful.

4 Likes

:laughing: The struggle is real. FIY, do have something to snack on when you watch this. I was moderating the comments and people were saying they regret watching it on an empty stomach or even when they already ate, with nothing to snack on :rofl:

2 Likes

lmao… I guess you don’t know what falling out of love means in that sense. Falling out of love is really like in the beginning where i could see k dramas all day long, knowing they would be the best dramas to watch. Btw, it doesn’t mean I don’t like them anymore or need a break from it; nothing will change from doing that. It just means to me I no longer expect the perfect story plot anytime soon so I pick better now, and choose veryyyy carefully what I watch now, and I do READ every spoilers they have and take it from there if i want to watch or not.

I have NTFX, HBO max, Prime, Tuby and many more, plenty to see. As a matter of fact , I have several suggestions that are awesome to watch gonna get the titles and post here later. I lost my interest in reading a long time ago but thanks for all the suggestions. Thanks to you I also I have a place to go and see my oldies i missed a while back too :+1::+1::+1::+1::+1:

2 Likes

There was a period of time when I had no interest in any new Kdramas or any interest in finishing whatever I was watching. I ended up going back to my favorites or ones I really liked and rewatching them. Now, I’ve been adding to my list of dramas to watch and I’m watching with interest again!

Although I do admit, I’ve been avoiding the new dramas and finding old ones that I need to watch for canon’s sake. I actually like seeing the old dramas with now-veteran actors in their young days. It makes me feel nostalgic. When I need a change, I’ll check out a few of the new dramas.

What I’m watching now:
Que Sera Sera (currently on ep. 10, so plz no spoilers!)
The Ghost Detective (just started, already very intriguing and creepy–not a good idea to watch at 2am :ghost:)

Looking back at my recently completed Kdramas list, I realized that the stuff I’ve been watching over the past several months (Tree of Heaven, Bad Boy, What Happened in Bali, Secret Love, A Love to Kill) doesn’t portray healthy relationships :thinking: . I’m a hopeless melodramatic drama lover!

I’m still stuck at ep 10 with Heartless City. I needed a break from the cutthroat atmosphere and lack of happiness. Yet, oddly enough, I’m watching Que Sera Sera now, which feels like WHIB, except it’s not as intense tragedy-wise (for now).

2 Likes