What kind of team leaders are we?

I trained as a moderator by being a subber, exactly as I trained as a mother by being a daughter: taking mental notes on what I liked and what I didn’t, telling myself “let’s remember to do that/not to do that, when my turn comes”.
I question myself all the time, especially (of course!) when something bad happens. How could I solve this, how can I prevent this next time?
Therefore I wanted to start a discussion not so much on what a good moderator is (I think we already had a topic like that), but of the different sorts of moderators, the pros and cons of each style.

I just happened to read a couple of articles about leadership.
Here are, according to one article, the words that define a leader’s job:

And this is from an article about the two types of leadership.

Oops! As for me, I have the last two from transactional and surely the first two from transformational (not sure about the others, the team members should say that). Am I a hybrid?

And two final thoughts about how to inspire others…

9 Likes

I’ve never seen this topic until today!

Do you still have the article?

That article consisted basically of this list. And then it asked “What kind of leader are you?”
But here are some more links if you feel motivated to read more.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing!
I will try to inject the 1st book in the multitude of books waiting for my eyes to have pity on them xd just reading the summary interests me!

The 2nd link is what we learn in management lessons at school, like the different types.

The 3rd link: I’ve just read and conclusion: I like this one!! Ron Emondson noted down :slight_smile:

Thanks again!

1 Like

be%20a%20leader%2C%20not%20a%20boss
bosses%20and%20leaders

3 Likes

Adding that there could be a special case.

Like:

• Demands respect: it’s something we shouldn’t even have to ask. In a bad situation, asking for it means you’re a boss? I don’t think so, it depends who you have in front of you.
  • I/We: not saying “we” means the person doesn’t involve other people in his opinions and not putting others’ responsibility on the line by being inclusive.
  • Works together to fix problems: not always, because no one in the team could be available to do that or had the competences. What does working together mean in this sentence?
  • use “let’s”: I don’t like when I’m being including sometimes when it asks me more work and it is not what I should do because I didn’t ask the role to do it on purpose. I don’t think it’s nice to put a bomb like that on someone “Let’s.”
  • Admit mistakes: in the other eyes, it could be the leader/boss’ mistakes; but in the perspective of the leader/boss’, it could be not his fault. The truth is somewhat hard to see and one of the parts could not be aware of some other things.

Exactly, they mean that respect should be given naturally, if the leader is so awesome that everyone admires him. Of course if a rude and spiteful person won’t interact in a respectful way no matter what, then in our case we’re lucky, we can always kick him/her out.

The “we” and “let’s” implies a workflow when people are doing stuff together. It’s not as if you are the editor and you ask somebody else to share your burden. Editing is not teamwork.

Admit mistakes, IF you have done a mistake, of course. If you don’t think it was a mistake, then there’s nothing to admit. This goes without saying.
But there are people who just invent excuse after excuse because of their pride, they will never say “Oh, sorry, I didn’t see that”.

3 Likes