What languages do you speak/are learning?

:rofl: They sound more like lazy cooks than like vegetarians, hahaha!

Here there’s also some names like lacto-ovo-vegetarian (who eats dairy and eggs), pescotarian (who eats fish), flexitarian (who is a part-time vegetarian) …

Personally I’d rather just stick to the title “vegetarian”, defined as “someone who doesn’t use anything for which animals were killed”.

But, yeah, the word does mean different things to different people.

That seems strange, although maybe in India all cheese is vegetarian by definition? :thinking: At least here vegetarian cheeses are exceptional (though nowadays their availability has risen). Most cheeses are made with rennet out of one of the stomachs of a calf. :frowning:

4 Likes

Nope, it has religious reasons.

maybe. Our main cheese, ‘paneer’ (cottage cheese) is definitely vegetarian, but I have no idea about the others. It never occurred to me that cheese could be non-veg :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Instead of “floor” I was expecting the word “food” here.
Either way, it’s bad enough, cause the food will still smell like smoke.

That’s your MAIN cheese? Oh wow, here it’s hard to come by and very expensive. At least when I was living in a bigger city I was occasionally eating it, but nowadays there’s no place near me that sells it. :frowning:

2 Likes

That’s not real cheese though which will melt in high temperatures. It is more like Tofu in Japan.
It can be easily made at home.
Add Lemon juice to milk and let the lumps form for an hour or two. Strain the water from the milk and the curdle and shape the cheese as you want. Let the cheese settle for another two hours and you’ve made cottage cheese at home.

4 Likes

whatever it’s melting point, it’s cheese, right? not an aged and hard like Cheddar, it’s a fresh cheese type

4 Likes

Yeah!
All this Paneer stuff made me hungry. It’s 12 AM, going to attack my kitchen :rofl::rofl:

5 Likes

I literally convinced my mom to make paneer today! :see_no_evil:

4 Likes

Hello,
I am French speaking Belgian, i’m learning Korean (which i know quite well) - English and Spanish wich i hardly practice anymore.

2 Likes

Hello,

Im learning Tibetan soon.
But i can speak english,a little malay and home lang as well!!

1 Like

Oh thanks to you I learn something about “Shop Suey” because in my hometown, all chinese restaurant have Shop Suey on their menu and It’s been there for so long, that is a real dish for us and it’s surely not something like a left over hahaha.

My hometown is a french oversea district so most of chinese people came from Canton or country where they spoke cantonese, if I remember correctly.

2 Likes

Considering I’m German my native language is German as well. In school I learned some English, French and Spanish. Later on I focussed on Business English and Business French, however, I’m not as interested in French and forgot most of my Spanish as well. English is something I mainly taught myself by reading a lot. My spoken English may lack compared to my written English since I hardly have to put it into use. However, I can usually express myself and have no difficulties to translate.

At university I study Japanese and currently the level might be around B1 or something. Still I have the same issue as in English - there’re not many chances to speak it. We mainly focus on writing and grammar issues. In addition, I did some basic courses for Korean (at least I can read/write the characters now) and Mandarin. Currently, I’m continuing with Chinese, but actually at a slower pace. Over the years I did a few introduction courses such as Finnish, Faeroese and Swedish. Generally I’d like to learn more about northern languages one day, but I’d rather focus on East Asian languages for now… and improve my English even further at the same time. :blush:

I want to be able to translate Japanese into German decently later on :kissing_closed_eyes:

4 Likes

Same for San Francisco, Most of the earlier settlers were from Hong Kong, Macau, Guangdong, All ‘Cantonese’ speaking people. Also, a lot of people were from Shanghai so there was a group who also spoke Shanghainese. Probably other languages were spoken also but they were not as prominent as Cantonese.

Oh! Interesting historical info - There is/was a phrase/verb in the San Francisco Bay Area (They got ‘Shanghaid’) originally meaning to be kidnapped to work on a ship bound for Shanghai, China. Now it generally means they got kidnapped.

Back in the wild ‘Barbary Coast’ days (1849-52) it was NOT safe to be down in the ports when the tide turned because most able-bodied seamen jumped ship and ran off to the goldfields so the captains were short-handed when they were ready to set sail. So they would kidnap likely-looking men, usually drunk, tie them up and stash them below deck until they were beyond swimming distance, then put them to work on deck. Back then the trading ships went between Shanghai China, San Francisco California, and Lima Peru. San Francisco in 1849 didn’t have any infrastructure at that time so everything was imported from China or Peru.

My grandfather spoke Cantonese but we never learned it. He was also fluent in Portuguese, Spanish, and English.

What’s weird is I can understand French spoken in Quebec but I don’t speak French. :grin: I never learned French. No one spoke French in my neighborhood. (Yea, I don’t know how that works.) I also speak California ‘Spanglish’. :laughing: Tagalog, Gaelic, and I’ve been learning Korean for over a year now. (So that I don’t have to wait for subtitles.)_ Even though I grew up in ‘little Azores’, none of us kids spoke Portuguese, just Spanish or English outside the house.

2 Likes

You have gifted ear lol! I wish I could understand languages even if I can’t the language hahaha

But you are a “multicultural languages” melting pot. Sometimes, do you mix the languages when you speak ? It’s something it happens many time for me lol. Sometime I know the french word but only the english one comes to my mind or the japanese or the chinese one. hahaha.

It’s so interesting what you share. Poor fishermen.

1 Like

Oh, definitely! The San Francisco Bay Area has so many spoken languages. About a third of the population is Hispanic from various countries, The other third are from various countries in Asia and the other third is assorted countries for everyone else. I learned Tagalog, Spanish and English from friends in my neighborhood. Our family had remnant Gaelic words. I’ve been learning Korean for the last year. I also learned words and phrases for a lot of other languages. But I am not fluent in anything. :smirk: and I DO code switch all the time! Sheesh! There are some syllables in Korean that sound the same as Dakota! (Sioux) so my brain puts in the Dakota meaning. :smirk: :rofl: Makes me crazy :rofl:

3 Likes

Don’t you mix some of the languages that have small differences and are very similar, isn’t Belarussian and Russian pretty similar?
As a Czech speaker I can understand Slovak when it’s written but have a hard time understanding the spoken language… but it was ok understanding spoken Polish but not everything.

I speak English and some Spanish. I’m learning Korean

1 Like

French, English, Portuguese, little spanish (I understand/read better than speak) and I’m learning korean!

2 Likes

French, English, Portuguese, little spanish (I understand/read better than speak) and I’m learning korean!

1 Like

Well… I’m fluent in Romanian, Italian and English. I can understand Spanish (but not speak or write). And I’m learning French (for school) and Korean.

1 Like