What to do with subbers using Google Translate?

I shall review these threads once too.
Thanks for helping!:smile::four_leaf_clover:

3 Likes

So, I read the whole response and I’m understanding the situation in a better way. I agree with you, these TEGs should never be left to roam.
Thanks for the help and support!:smile:
I clarified the situation further in the thread. :point_down:t3:

3 Likes

अगर वो समझदार हो तो उसे इशारा ही काफी होती है। :face_with_monocle: :brain: :exploding_head:

Hello again! xD
To answer a few more questions just for clarification:

1. Did the above-mentioned person know about the rules of translation?
    Yes. I made a spreadsheet for the respective drama for my convenience and I specifically mentioned Dos and Don’ts in it.
    Here is a screenshot of it:

2. Was a warning given to them?
    Yes, I already mentioned that in my initial message.

3. Did they implement what I told them after the warning?
    No, they didn’t.

Just for reference, here are a few screenshots of their subs:
IMG_20230627_204925

Proof: Google Translate the English text of these subs to Hindi and you’ll see the exact same result as written, plus any Hindi speaker can tell that these subs actually doesn’t mean what they should. Nutjob as अखरोट का काम LOL :laughing:

“And don’t be hurt or sad buddy, I am just abiding by the rules, thanks!”
So, I shall do as @bozoli mentioned, and well thanks to everyone for their help.:smile:

Nischay🍀

7 Likes

The culture needs to change, the benchmark raised to the highest level.

On one level, ■■■■■■■ might complain that translating their output into so many different languages is an add-on cost they struggle with, but that’s rubbish.

After all, the more languages, the more subscribers in the various territories they attract. Indeed, one despairs at the huge budgets that go on a TV show for N’fix, and yet they resent the tiny funds, by comparison, it takes to subtitle a drama.

It’s a big like having a huge Hollywood premiere with a a gala dinner afterwards, served up with paper plates and napkins, the Champagne poured into styrofoam cups.

3 Likes

That only works if the abuser is the only subber. Otherwise, innocent subbers’ subs will get lost, as well. CMs cannot selectively delete the subs of one person in particular. Only Viki Staff can do that and they usually don’t. Even if they delete the abuser’s account, the subs often stay.

Are you saying that NF is lacking subtitles in many languages? That’s actually not the case. For most shows, there are several options, but the options shown to you are based on your settings. In some cases, the options are indeed limited, but that may have to do with license issues or even with a lack of translators. And even Viki has such limits.

See also:

and

3 Likes

There is a workaround, but it requires that the subs have not been edited. By extracting all subs of an episode, detecting the abuser’s subs and asking the other subber(s) (if any) to copy-paste their subs back.

1 Like

That would still involve deleting those subbers’ subs… and then give them extra work to get back their already-earned contributions.

3 Likes

In smaller teams that’s not an issue because there’s only a couple of subbers in total and they possibly split episodes between them.

1 Like

Less people in the team means each person has done a lot (if it’s strictly divided, that is. Otherwise, one might even have done more than the abuser) so more subs per person get lost. Deleting innocent people’s subs is an issue in every team, but with smaller teams, the stakes per person only get higher.

3 Likes

Er, nope. I don’t say anything like that.

1 Like

These days people who want to cheat should at least use chatGPT :rofl:

I haven’t tried it for translation, but I’ve tried switching languages when asking questions, and it’s pretty ok.

2 Likes

The following is from OpenAI GPT-3.
Machine translation is worthless. Even if it is Chat-GPT.

Summary

La traducción automática es inútil. Incluso si es Chat-GPT. (Spanish)

मशीन अनुवाद बेकार है। चाहे वह चैट-GPT हो या कुछ और। (Hindi)

機器翻譯毫無價值,即使它是Chat-GPT。 (Mandarin traditional)

الترجمة الآلية لا قيمة لها. حتى إذا كانت شات-GPT. (Arabic)

The sentences seem ok in Hindi and Spanish, although I’m not a native speaker of either.

2nd iteration with proper grammar seems worse.

Summary

Machine translation is worthless, even if it is Chat-GPT.

La traducción automática no sirve para nada, incluso si es Chat-GPT. (Spanish)

मशीन अनुवाद निष्पक्ष होता है, यहां तक कि जब वह Chat-GPT हो भी. (Hindi)

机器翻译是没有价值的,即使是 Chat-GPT。 (Mandarin - traditional)

الترجمة الآلية لا قيمة لها، حتى لو كانت Chat-GPT. (Arabic)

I’m not exactly using the official version but seems like there’s a ways to go before A.I. takes over translation. I’ve seen some subtitles on another streaming service that I think had machine translation. The term fire truck was transliterated into devanagari for Hindi, when it’s much easier to write the Hindi equivalent as a human translator.

3 Likes

I personally think subtitling an unknown language using GT or any Chatbots which are typically pre-programmed with a limited set of responses, although ChatGPT is capable of generating responses based on the context and tone of the conversation. This makes ChatGPT more personalized and sophisticated than chatbots. Translating perfectly is now possible as it can translates the words formed in a sentence like it does quite ensure the accuracy, Technology software of the Viki should also be programmed to block using another software while translating.

1 Like

you´re right Native speakers are not going to use sentences or phrases that are not coherent when they read it, so I think using that chatgpt would be another reason to ban a person.

2 Likes

Ask it the same question in two separate languages and it can give totally different answers.

2 Likes

It really depends on how much the others have contributed to an episode. It might be nothing and hence there could be no issue at all.

2 Likes

If the abuser is the only one who worked on an episode, that episode’s subs in language X can be deleted without a problem. If not, they can’t.

Of course, it would be. ALL machine-translation tools are prohibited on Viki, not just Google Translate. And no artificial translator can replace a human one (unless the human is truly bad).

4 Likes

Oh oh… For some language pairs, Chat GPT is superior to the majority of subbers on Viki.
And… “unless the human is truly bad”… There are lots and lots of bad ones, who do literal translations like there is no tomorrow! I don’t know about your language, but for Italian and Greek I’ve seen some who are even worse than Google Translate, which is the crudest automatic translator out there.
Chat GPT is on a wholly different level than GT, though. Especially if it’s a translation to English and not from English to some less-known language. English-Italian and English-Greek are not that great, because probably it hasn’t been fed enough data in those languages. But English to French is excellent!
Caveat: its output needs some tweaking because of course it doesn’t know the context of the story, who’s speaking, what happened before, the mood of the scene and so on, but otherwise it won’t make stupid mistakes.
I haven’t tried it for Viki dialogues, because I’m not a translator here, and for editing I don’t need it. But for general translations and for song lyrics (Ko-En) it’s remarkably good - again, it needs a little touch-up.
Moreover, if you explain to him where he messed up, and what nuances he missed, he politely apologizes, promises to do better next time - and he does! Which is more than can be said for some subbers here, who get all offended and ruffled. One Ko-En subber chose to leave the team when I dared to offer some feedback, in the most diplomatic and respectful way possible! Of the style “I’ve been here for so many years and now I have to listen to critique?” Another one angrily wrote: “I give up my valuable free time for this, and I don’t want to waste more time to pay attention to those things, those are your job to correct”.
This is not to say that I don’t prefer working with humans, when they are civil and reasonable and don’t give you “attitude”! But one shouldn’t “pooh-pooh” the best AI either.
(P.S. Viki’s automatic translator sucked! I don’t know whether it has improved with time, but it was as bad as a bad subber, sometimes even worse)

6 Likes

For Dutch, we only have a handful of good subbers, some average ones and lots of truly bad ones. And from what I’ve heard, that might be true for most languages and I guess that’s to be expected on a platform where just about anyone can participate.

I don’t specifically know this Chat GPT, but I do know one AI translator can be far better than another. And some AI can be better than some humans. But in general, I don’t believe that any AI, no matter how advanced, can ever truly replace the really good human translators. I don’t mean it won’t happen anyway, I’m just saying it would be a big loss.

5 Likes