What to do with subbers using Google Translate?

you´re right Native speakers are not going to use sentences or phrases that are not coherent when they read it, so I think using that chatgpt would be another reason to ban a person.

2 Likes

Ask it the same question in two separate languages and it can give totally different answers.

2 Likes

It really depends on how much the others have contributed to an episode. It might be nothing and hence there could be no issue at all.

2 Likes

If the abuser is the only one who worked on an episode, that episode’s subs in language X can be deleted without a problem. If not, they can’t.

Of course, it would be. ALL machine-translation tools are prohibited on Viki, not just Google Translate. And no artificial translator can replace a human one (unless the human is truly bad).

4 Likes

Oh oh… For some language pairs, Chat GPT is superior to the majority of subbers on Viki.
And… “unless the human is truly bad”… There are lots and lots of bad ones, who do literal translations like there is no tomorrow! I don’t know about your language, but for Italian and Greek I’ve seen some who are even worse than Google Translate, which is the crudest automatic translator out there.
Chat GPT is on a wholly different level than GT, though. Especially if it’s a translation to English and not from English to some less-known language. English-Italian and English-Greek are not that great, because probably it hasn’t been fed enough data in those languages. But English to French is excellent!
Caveat: its output needs some tweaking because of course it doesn’t know the context of the story, who’s speaking, what happened before, the mood of the scene and so on, but otherwise it won’t make stupid mistakes.
I haven’t tried it for Viki dialogues, because I’m not a translator here, and for editing I don’t need it. But for general translations and for song lyrics (Ko-En) it’s remarkably good - again, it needs a little touch-up.
Moreover, if you explain to him where he messed up, and what nuances he missed, he politely apologizes, promises to do better next time - and he does! Which is more than can be said for some subbers here, who get all offended and ruffled. One Ko-En subber chose to leave the team when I dared to offer some feedback, in the most diplomatic and respectful way possible! Of the style “I’ve been here for so many years and now I have to listen to critique?” Another one angrily wrote: “I give up my valuable free time for this, and I don’t want to waste more time to pay attention to those things, those are your job to correct”.
This is not to say that I don’t prefer working with humans, when they are civil and reasonable and don’t give you “attitude”! But one shouldn’t “pooh-pooh” the best AI either.
(P.S. Viki’s automatic translator sucked! I don’t know whether it has improved with time, but it was as bad as a bad subber, sometimes even worse)

6 Likes

For Dutch, we only have a handful of good subbers, some average ones and lots of truly bad ones. And from what I’ve heard, that might be true for most languages and I guess that’s to be expected on a platform where just about anyone can participate.

I don’t specifically know this Chat GPT, but I do know one AI translator can be far better than another. And some AI can be better than some humans. But in general, I don’t believe that any AI, no matter how advanced, can ever truly replace the really good human translators. I don’t mean it won’t happen anyway, I’m just saying it would be a big loss.

5 Likes

Correction: not “he”, but “it”! We tend to subconsciously take the program as a person and we really, really shouldn’t. It is nothing more than that, a program.

4 Likes

Oh, I agree with that! I never compared AI with the good translators.

6 Likes

When we chat, I see Chat GPT as a he. Why not a her, you might ask? I don’t know. (Maybe because of the lack of insight and empathy? LOL)
Same with the Judeo-Christian god. I would never imagine him as a she. Too cruel and senseless. If he existed, we should eliminate him.

2 Likes

Sorry for contributing to this discussion a little bit late.

LOL!
Never in my life would I have even imagined someone would use this phrase :joy::joy:

Based on the sentences you provided, I believe these are not Google Translated subs. I understand your frustration, and I have faced the same issue with multiple subbers in the past few years. Have you seen the ‘Chai Tea’ scene from the latest the Spiderman movie? I sometimes felt like teaching these subbers the same way.
‘It’s not Chai Tea! You are saying Tea Tea’

Phew, they are indeed difficult to handle. In your defense, I believe you did a good job by presenting your terms and conditions in the sheet beforehand. I also loved your presentation.

Anyway, the subs are not Google Translated. They are just an ‘artwork’ of somebody who thinks they know Hindi (most probably their second or third language) or somebody who thinks they can subtitle any way they wish to because no one is going to double check it.

I checked GT, ChatGPT, and Bard, and none of them provide the same subs as in the screenshots.

(Bard straight-up says it can’t translate)

But, yes, for “Nutjob” GT does give the same output as the subber.

If you find any suspicious activity with any of your subbers, first cross check with at least 10-15 subs by putting them into GT, just so you can protect yourself when saying this particular subber is using GT.

In your case, when they say they are not using GT, they might just not be using it.

You’ll find even more such people who do not speak Hindi as their first language coming to you and claiming they know Hindi just because they live in a Hindi speaking region or use it in their school/workplaces. They genuinely might think they speak/write perfect Hindi, maybe because people around them speak the same ‘incorrect/not-standard’ Hindi (influenced by local languages) or maybe because nobody corrected them in their life time, thinking they might get offended or something similar.

As the bigger person, you’ll have to politely tell them that they are overestimating their capabilities and diplomatically as well as respectfully tell them they need to learn Hindi, or just subtitle in their native language.

In most cases, if not all, these will be Dravidian language speakers/Eastern Indians who learned Hindi only at school but never used it in real life.

To avoid working with such subbers altogether, just check if they are fluent enough to even work with you. I learnt this the hard way too. Before adding any subber, no matter how experienced (in terms of no. of subs) they might be, if you have never worked with them, or never watched any of their works, give them a sample of subtitles to translate. Do not take any risk, and do not think the applicant might get offended because you are offering to test them first. If they are confident in their capabilities, they’ll gladly take your test.

I have only seen the sample you presented here, Nischay, so I might not know any better than you about the subber’s work style. They might not be an abuser, but just could be unaware of how horrible their work is. As their leader, you’ll have to take the responsibility to tell them their mistakes. If they correct themselves, then well and good. If not, feel free to remove them from the team.

If they still continue to volunteer in a language they do not know any better, you may also report them to Viki. After all, it’s written in the rules – one must not subtitle in a language they do not know.

4 Likes

Same as saying “The Sahara desert”. Sahara means “desert” in Arabic. Yet here people are more justified, because you need a name in Geography, you cannot just call it “desert”, as do the people who only know of this one. If you only call it “desert”, then how will you differentiate it from all others? Of course they might have called it “Arabian desert”.
Similarly, “chai” could be called “Indian-style tea” (not “Indian tea”, because tea that comes from India can be boiled in the English way, not like chai, with milk and spices. In this case “Indian-style” means the way of preparation, not the provenance of the leaves.

In Greece we have what used to be called “Turkish coffee” and now, for the sake of political correctness, is referred to as “Greek coffee”. In reality, Turks brought that way of coffee-making (on hot sand, with the coffee boiling together with the water and sugar, not percolating or being filtered) from Arabia, which they had conquered too, at the time of the Ottoman empire, and that’s how it also came to Greece. So, logic would require it be called “Arabic coffee”. But people might get confused and think that “Arabic coffee” means that the beans are of the actual Arabica plant (and not from Brazil or elsewhere). So maybe it wouldn’t be a good idea after all. Unless you call it “Arabic-style coffee”. The name works well in English but unfortunately not in Greek, it would need too many words and would be extra-awkward.

Sorry for the OT. ramble!

7 Likes

Like the amount of time you’ve spent doing something has any bearing on whether you’re right or wrong. Pride gets in the way of progress.

@shraddhasingh
I checked the translation before and it was just as Nischay posted. It has since improved. He should have taken screenshot of the machine translation.

There are programs that translate word for word instead of sentences that rely on google translate API.

It’s not always the first option. Sometimes they choose the second option to ‘outsmart’.

4 Likes

Hey, it’s all right! Your precious help and suggestion mean a lot! And well, even I’m late in replying as I was on a short hiatus till June end so I was just going on and off the site frequently.:smiley:

Although I couldn’t watch that movie cause you know about my above-mentioned situation, but I saw the clip on YouTube. I understand what you mean here, just like LITERAL TRANSLITERATION.

Appreciate it!:white_heart:

Well, in my defense again, I would want to say that there were a sea of subs that were Google Translated but I didn’t put the screenshot of them because most of them had names of some of the characters in the show and people might know which show I’m talking about, eventually resulting in the outing of the subbers username, since not a lot of Hindi subbers are working on that particular show.
The subber is also currently working on some other show with another moderator whom I know and we previously planned on working together, but due to timing gaps, we couldn’t collaborate. keke
Nvm, I dunno if the other mod is also facing the same problem as I do. I shall look into it.

Yeah, I definitely understand your concern. I surely am planning on doing so.
And yes taking tests is important too…

Just to mention, there was another breach of rule by them which I didn’t mention earlier thinking it was merely a silly thing.
So, they overwrote my subtitles and messed with my part. They were already assigned their part for the episodes but still they started subbing my part too. I messaged them about it, so things worked out about that matter.
But doesn’t this point out a bigger fact about the person, i.e. they don’t read rules properly? I specifically have mentioned this rule too in my beautiful Dos and Don’ts list (Check pls). But still… nvm

I shall talk to the CM of the show and with the subber too. Things will get sorted asap. I hope so! :pray:t2:
And thanks to you for the reply!:blush:

Regards,
Nischay🍀

3 Likes

Absolutely true!

1 Like

It’s a very big issue, even reason to get kicked out of the team.

4 Likes