What's the big rush?

Well – it’s more than 8 hours since upload and they have not uploaded the paid subber’s completed subbed version of the video yet.
I post this out of continuing frustration with the viki decision to replace our volunteer Korean to English subbers out of the desire for SPEED of the English subtitles. A year or two ago, viki staff made the arbitrary decision to have the paid subbers work on any currently airing drama episode which was not over 95% done by the volunteers within 8 hours after upload. (It didn’t matter if the upload happened to be when most of the American Korean to English subbers were asleep – and the overwhelming majority of Korean to English subbers are in the USA). Viki feared loss of paying customers who complained that other sites (where?) were faster with the English subs and who threatened to leave (to where?).
Then viki staff, again without any consultation with the volunteers decided to sub all on-air Kdramas by paid subbers. So It’s post-8 hours after upload today and NO English subs yet! Wish I could threaten to bring in the volunteer segmenters and subbers.

19 Likes

Update. February 11, 2024. So it is post 8 hours since the upload of Live Your Own Life episode 41 and it is neither segmented nor subbed yet by the viki paid subbers. Volunteers were considered too slow and were replaced on currently airing K drama about a year ago. But here we are waiting for subs from the paid subbers.

10 Likes

I’m not sure, but I’ve long thought that those who leave negative comments are actually paid translators, there is a proverb in my people that says “Divide and rule”, that must have happened here as well. They raised such an alarm that they were going to leave while the volunteers were translating and now everyone is silent.

4 Likes

I also do not like the work of those who presented themselves as professionals. As far as segments and translations are concerned, I believe that if someone is paid for a job, they should do it properly, and not let those who are not paid go and correct these professionals in everything. I find this decision by Viki to be both a waste of money and a waste of time. I would never do that in my company.

9 Likes

This drama is always a day later… I think Viki gets it from Kocowa, who want to air their episode first und Viki next day, it’s a weird thing… It’s been since episode 1 like this and with some other kdramas!!

3 Likes

Since viki usually release it 1 day after, why not let the volunteers work on the episode in the meanwhile?

4 Likes

That’s a good question that only @vikicommunity can answer :wink: :pray: But I think it’s intended if it’s an agreement between Kocowa and Viki…

3 Likes

I know this proverb

2 Likes

That’s right, either let them choose those who work mechanically and don’t check if the translation is correct or let volunteers work and shut the mouths of those who leave silly comments. I remember that on one drama the English team worked and met the norm, plus the translation was so well done that even someone who doesn’t know English well could understand. But despite that, those watching left bad comments. I invite you all to watch the drama “Life” It would be good if Viki would give good dramas to be done this way and not those who know their job to fix it behind “call the professionals”

@cgwm808 @bepina @irmar

4 Likes

As one of those who spent countless hours editing this drama, I am deeply moved by what you said. Words like yours make it all worth it.
:heart:

5 Likes

@radivoj As a subber and chief editor of Life, thank you so much for your appreciation and endorsement of our work. On the English team, we tried very hard to ensure that the medical, legal and financial dialogue was accurate and could be understood by the other language subbers. Your acknowledgment is our reward.

5 Likes