When did viki change this?From viki volunteer community to viki contributor community?

There is a work around - you have to use the hyperlink above!

2 Likes

@lutra
Any updates?

nope …

1 Like

In the app it says global TV supported by fans (Globales TV mit Fan-Unterstützung) but only if you open it first, maybe after restarting mobile phone again.

I guess many viewers only use the app anyway and many if not most viewers don’t understand that a pay-to-watch page is not something like Netflix so if you want viewers to realize you’re working for free you need to add that info at the beginning of every episode to the credits since Viki is removing more and more aspects of the old layout that made this aspect clearer for viewers.

3 Likes

I seriously don’t think that they even answer questions on their own. If you go to HC and look at the posts that are “answered”, you’ll notice that the answers repeat themselves for similar questions. They might just look at a question, see which category it falls into, pick out the best related answer and paste it into ‘reply’.

For the questions our community asked a while ago-- from contributor community to positions allowed as moderator, I think we won’t get an answer any time soon since they can’t copy-paste this one from their book. They’ll take their time, maybe months to get back to us.

2 Likes
1 Like

For some questions you will need long breathing, that is just how it works at Viki, nothing new … Unfortunately …

I added something
https://support.viki.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/4408734299411-How-come-there-is-a-change-in-the-community-name-

P.S. Sorry added the wrong link.

2 Likes

Was anyone aware of this link–
https://www.viki.com/genres

Whoah! So many things hidden at Viki!

5 Likes

Yeah…the page is so different from regular theme.
Screenshot_20211104-100354_Chrome Screenshot_20211104-100413_Chrome

3 Likes

Yes, I don’t remember exactly when they implemented this, but I saw it :blush:
Back then I thought I was finding this out late… I guess I was early then :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Goodness, how on earth do you find these things? Viki likes playing Treasure Hunt, I guess :joy:

3 Likes

You know, they created another topic – Watch Party… I was reading that topics definition created by vikicommunity. I thought what other topic definitions look like, I checked out the one in Bollywood and that’s where I got this link.

2 Likes

Hi there! Yes, Viki works on the same principle as Netflix. Only at Viki you can watch everything for free and only pay for HD quality. I watch via Smart TV.

2 Likes

That is not possible anymore since the pandemic happened in 2020 because when we all were in lockdown Viki turned 80+% of its content into pay to play while those who create the subtitles - we volunteers - are still unpaid. Different to Netflix that usually has paid professionals for both subtitles and sync version.

Stating that “everything” on Viki is still free to watch just shows that many people still have no clue about the details.

Right now, it’s even hard to let beginners work on subtitles for Viki because way more shows are locked behind a paywall aka VikiPass than during pre pandemic times.

6 Likes

I’ve been watching Viki for almost a year for free by downloading it to TV through Google, I started translating recently when I got gold status, they gave me a code for VikiPass. of course the price of $25 for translations is small.It’s just that not many people take newcomers to their teams. It’s hard, but it’s possible…

3 Likes

Viki left no trace of the word “volunteer” on their website :joy:

It’s contributors everywhere. Even the Volunteer guidelines is now contributors guideline.
https://support.viki.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000238047-Viki-Volunteer-Guidelines
https://support.viki.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000238047-Viki-Contributor-Guidelines

4 Likes

Daebaaak! Right.

2 Likes

I mean, it would only make it confusing if they used two names. Since they’ve decided on “contributor,” I guess they’re sticking to it. Unfortunately, I think “volunteer” comes with the connotation that we are unpaid. “Contributor” blurs the lines and just makes it more confusing for newbies and casual viewers.

3 Likes

Have a look at this :joy:

Idk but I find this situation funny. Viki is making decisions about us with talking with us. Imagine what would happen, if one day, all “contributors” go on a strike and ask Viki to communicate with them more.

1 Like

Personally, I don’t think it’s a very big deal. Contributor, volunteer- it’s just a name. I’d be upset if they suddenly started using that stupid AI translating bot for every drama that comes on Viki without asking us. They asked, we said we hated it, and as far as I’ve seen, they aren’t using it for all the dramas here.

2 Likes