When editing compromises accuracy of translation

You have a point there. Most of the time it’s the combination of asking and taking a look at the History.

I can see clearly the difference in those two phrases; the first one puts emphasis that it’s too early while the other one lacks it. I know it’s wrong to rephrase it because when I translated it into Greek (my native language), they were two different phrases.
Sometimes when I edit and I’m not sure if it should be rephrased, I translate the subtitle into Greek in order to understand the meaning better.

6 Likes

I wholeheartedly agree with you regarding @choitrio. I had the pleasure to work with her on a project, and I hope it won’t be the last one.
I was one of the GEs and although my assigned part was time-consuming and exhausting due to the duration, her TE work made it so much easier to check it.

5 Likes

@addictedtobooks

You don’t know how much I wished she could be more active (working) in dramas here, but I understand her limitations working here since it requires too much time, and the work involved is no joke.

Some people may feel I like to criticize here too much, but I feel that if we don’t call certain things to the attention on time, it might get out of hand. Lately, I felt the subtitles were getting to a very critical point; so I made my mission to give a shout out about it, and hoping that in the process we could get back on track with the quality subtitles we always had at this site.

The thing for me is that good subtitles in dramas/movies is what keep my interest in watching the drama/movie. I also have to point out that is not the word [ANYWAYS] that drove me to this, but the fact that I didn’t feel the love and pride we always had in the RViki subtitles.
Something was getting lost here, and it needed to be brought back to its rightful place.

If some people choose to dislike/hate me, so be it. I don’t pay my rent or bills with their money, so I don’t need them in my life because the ones that I need in my life, are those that want me in theirs. I even feel that racism is playing a big part on all this animosity towards my person, and is sad to think that going through all we’re going through now, we still have people here with such a terrible thing embedded in their heart.

Let’s all work together as a TEAM and make sure that accuracy in the translation don’t get lost when the EDITING is done. Don’t need to be perfect just as good as it can be.

2 Likes

What about using Timed Comments for that? I know not all viewers have them on, but some might actually turn them on for that.

2 Likes

That might not work, especially with translating into other languages. In an older drama I saw a subtitle with the note ‘other subbers, please read the timed comments’. In the TC, the subber gave the explanation that in Korean a tongue twister was used and instead of translating she replaced it with a tongue twister in English.
I checked a few other languages and some subbers read and understood the TC and replaced the English tongue twister into one in their own language. Subbers from other languages just literally translated the English tongue twister into their own language (so it no longer was one) and then also translated ‘other subbers, please read the timed comments’ in their language.

6 Likes

Some people from the Romanian community make numbers. They make more than 400 subtitles every 8 minutes. Only copy and paste which is forbidden. I won’t mention any name. But it is very obvious. And nobody says anything. I have the impression that there are few passionate people. When there is money to be made, there are many profiteers who come.

2 Likes

I remember that project very well. In fact, @my_happy_place, one of the community members, was so impressed with the English team that she wanted to know how to send a direct thank you message. This is what she wrote:

“Forgive my ignorance, but besides giving hearts to a subtitling team, is there a way to leave comments directly to them? This was my first time watching one of these big productions with such a huge ‘cast of characters’, and I was amazed and incredibly grateful at how the team labeled every subtitle with the name of the person speaking. It was so helpful to a newbie like me, and even if it’s standard practice in a show like this, it’s not something I took for granted.”

And this was my response: As one of the 2 TEs (Translation Editors) for “Kingdom: Legendary War”, I can tell you that it took a great team work of Viki staff subber, 2 TEs, 6 GEs and the Chief Editor to keep all the names of the cast straight in addition to ensuring the quality of the English subtitles. You can find the usernames of all the English Moderators listed in the Subtitle Team on the cover page if you wish to send a direct message to them. Although it does not appear on the cover page, the main Viki staff subber’s username is jo_p66.

8 Likes

Since I don’t use TC, I am not sure how that would work but if I create a subtitle and add T/N, I would want the extra information to be available for all viewers not just the ones who use TC.

6 Likes

I know that you have a good heart. If we can all keep our hearts open and try to look past our differences, there would be less misunderstanding.

4 Likes

The TC could get buried, though… it would be a shame if someone spent time and effort writing explanations in the TCs just to have it buried by “HE LOOKS LIKE JIN OPPAAAAAA insert every emoji imaginable

@choitrio I personally love TNs. It’s what made me join Viki - everything was explained, so I could understand jokes, cultural context, and other things while i was watching, instead of searching everything up on Google. I’d say - add as many TNs as you think are necessary, and then let the GE/CE decide whether or not to keep all of them. That way, the editors who come after you have references and can understand the translations better.

I always find myself asking the TEs to elaborate on some translations with the question “What exactly is the character trying to say?”. It becomes easier for me to understand what they mean when they explain that one sentence with a lot of words - when they stop thinking about trying to shorten the sentence, I’m able to understand the underlying meaning and shorten/correct the sentence properly, without having it lose its meaning.

7 Likes

I love T/Ns as well but I know that some viewers get annoyed with long subtitles so it’s hard to strike the right balance.

As a subber, the one in the frontline, I don’t go back to check the final edit to see whether the final edit truly convey what I wanted to say but there were a few instances where I accidentally found out that my subtitles were changed, not necessarily for better (in my opinion).

I am happy to let my friends in this community know that I started the NSSA Level 1. I think I will focus on learning to segment for a while and not get too involved with subbing/editing.

7 Likes

Thank you for reminding me about this, @choitrio. I recently went back to “Kingdom: Legendary War” the other day to watch a couple performances, and I realized I never followed through on sending out my gratitude messages. I was literally going to find my original post about this to get the information you had sent about the editors, but I was pleasantly surprised to see your post today. I’m always so grateful for all the work our Viki volunteers put in for us viewers.

6 Likes

Congratulations :smile:

4 Likes

Thank you! I feel like I forgot a lot since graduating from the Sandbox, especially since I had to wait for over a month to start Level 1. Well, I better get back to reviewing.:wink:

4 Likes

Lol!

Hihihi… that too would be funny, yes :grin:

4 Likes

:rofl: LMBO :rofl:
Tsk! Tsk! Tsk!
It’s like extra workload, that last bit :rofl:

2 Likes

Hi choitrio,

Just this morning, I received a really uplifting message from my_happy_place. I’m still smiling from it even though I opened it around 6 hours ago! :blush:

Thank you for helping to make my day a brilliant one.
Manganese.

5 Likes

Hi my_happy_place,

Thank you so much for your message this morning. You completely took me by surprise and you absolutely made my day amazing :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :sparkling_heart:

Thank you, thank you, thank you
Manganese

P.S. The format used in Kingdom: Legendary War was designed by our Chief Editor, Worthyromance. I was just following what she wanted us to do. Worthyromance is quite an amazing editor. I have a great deal of respect for her.

7 Likes

You are so welcome! It’s well deserved. I have had a lovely conversation with Worthyromance about it, as well. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

6 Likes

@my_happy_place, it’s viewers/community members like you who make volunteers’ time and effort all worth it.

7 Likes