When you can't finnish a drama

I skip the boring scenes hahah

3 Likes

I sometimes put dramas on hold, especially when I’m not in the right mood to watch the drama. Usually I end up finishing them, even if it takes me a while. If I notice that I’m not enjoying it even though I normally would, I put it on hold.

Only one drama on my list that I haven’t gotten to and might go to my dropped list (Vincenzo) :woman_shrugging:.

4 Likes

I’m trying to reduce my skipping and actually watch dramas through and through.

I recently finished, My Roommate is a Gumiho. It was one of those dramas I left unfinished right before the finale. I went back and watch everything without skipping scenes.

3 Likes

When I entered the k-drama world, I used to binge watch a lot, since I had so much catching up to do.:joy: And I didn’t drop anything, not even the bad ones. But after my rookie hunger subsided, I started dropping things, even some shows that were considered by others very good or had high scores. I had some shows on the “on hold” list, but recently I decided it was time to move them to the “dropped” list, which I also don’t like seeing getting bigger. I only finished one of them, because I loved the actors, but it was kind of awkward watching it after so much time.
Nowadays, due to a busy schedule and need for more sleep, I prefer to not binge watch and watch on going dramas and I choose enough to have something to watch every day. So, I don’t usually drop something because of the distance between us :rofl:, but only it it doesn’t attract me. And I don’t even start something that I feel it won’t win me over. But it’s definitely true that if you leave something for some weeks, it’s difficult to return to it.

4 Likes

That’s so relatable. At first, I wanted to watch everything, but I keep getting pickier and pickier as time goes by. To the point, now, where I feel like nothing is going to satisfy me. :smile:

I took a long break from dramas over the past couple winter months and am just now starting to ease back into them.

5 Likes

I have done this - and just REVIEWED the show and finished it

I love DOOM!!!

2 Likes

For me, I just forget to continue watching… especially with fluffy cdramas that dont really have a plot. I would binge ten episodes and then just forget to continue watching the next day :joy: And then I’d feel the same as @my_happy_place, so I put it in my On Hold section… it eventually moves to my Dropped list when I go on one of my clean-up-and-organize frenzies

7 Likes

I notice that this happens to me when I end up watching too many dramas. I start out with one, then I get semi-bored and add another one, then I add a 3rd and a 4th one and before I know, I need to schedule to give each drama the right amount of attention. Most of the time I’m able to divide my time equally among each series, however, if I’m close to the ending, I sometimes feel rushed and will watch the last episodes in a row.

I rarely only am watching an episode though. Most of the time, I watch an episode on half of the screen and on the other half a new tab page is opened with either the Viki discussions, the reviews of a new drama I’m interested in, another drama I’m watching atm or the Wikipedia articles on the penguin population in Antarctica.

So, amidst all these distractions, it happens often that I stop watching and think by myself 'What has happened until now in the drama? And if I can’t think of anything significant and don’t expect it will happen, I will drop it. This just happened yesterday to me. Luckily, I have 6 more series on my watchlist :blush:

5 Likes

Sometimes I need to walk away and watch something else for a few days/weeks and then come back and start watching again. This was the case with When Time Stopped. I watched the first few eps and just couldn’t get into it, walked away but came back a week or so later and picked it up again. I’m glad I did because the later eps help to bring the story together and made it a very satisfying watch for me. (Honestly, I’m not sure I would have given it another shot if it weren’t for the fact that the male lead was Kim Hyun-joong so there’s that reasoning too). :wink:

2 Likes

I dropped Vincenzo too :grimacing: I was actually enjoying it, but I don’t know what happened, I just couldn’t finish, I stopped at the 7th episode. lmao

3 Likes

THIS! I love dramas like Her Private Life and Hometown cha cha cha now, a lighthearted romantic comedy-drama. I can’t watch the tearjackers anymore

2 Likes

I’m like that, too. But in my opinion when we don’t go back to get ‘‘closure’’ or if we don’t remember the story at all is simply because we never liked the story in the first place.

[Vincenzo] I practically had to forced myself to watch the ending, and while some ppl. found it so romantic, I personally found it so ‘‘unromantic’’ and with no chemistry between ML and FL.

Once I decide I won’t finish a drama, I know is because I will hate the ending as much as I hated the story from the beginning, but was ‘‘forcing’’ myself to watch.

I disliked [HAPPINESS] and I stopped watching, and have not bothered going back to watch the ending.

I have this method of watching dramas/movies/shows. Is as follow; if I don’t like it by the second episode, I know I won’t waste my time ‘‘trying’’ to like it just bc others rave about how much they love it, and are encouraging others to watch so ‘‘fervently.’’

I think that what’s mainly killing the dramas lately is that the stories are so similar that you don’t want to watch the same thing over and over again.

4 Likes

same. if i leave a drama, i can not connect to the characters anymore.

1 Like

I remember stopping The Player at episode 4 and waiting a month just to come to terms with the fact that there would be no romance and she was just like their sister :joy: Once I got over the initial disappointment, I had a blast. Its still one of my favorite dramas, and I loved the hilarious sibling energy in the main team

3 Likes

adding to my watchlist

Even though Flower of Evil is a very good drama, I can’t bring myself to finish it. The anticipation and everything is too much… :tired_face:

4 Likes

LOL I couldn’t have stopped myself even if I had a heart attack from all the thrills… Literally finished it overnight because I couldn’t tear my eyes away from the screen :see_no_evil:

4 Likes

I skip or fast forward scenes and sometimes, if the show becomes boring in the middle, I skip to the last episode or I watch 3-4 minutes from the rest of the episodes. I don’t force myself to watch if the dialogues are kindergarten-level or if they have dragging scenes, especially crying scenes.

3 Likes

Maybe it’s just me but I do find myself making ample use of the fast forward button on more C-dramas than dramas from other countries. I’ve noticed that there are a lot of C-dramas out there that are poorly subbed (none from Viki, I might add) and contain incredibly weak/stupid/idiotic plots with very poor acting. I know this is kind of a blanket statement, but I have found that I abandon more C-dramas than any other. It’s almost like someone (government, etc.) has excess funding that needs to be spent. Conversely, I have run onto a few C-dramas that were incredibly well-acted, well-directed, and well-written.

2 Likes

Cdramas are always hit or miss. There is a whole range of budgets for these dramas, probably because there are so many studios. I always get much more disappointed with kdramas than cdramas, if I’m forced to drop. I just don’t expect as much from cdramas. Of course, there are lots and lots of good ones - but there are an equal, if not larger, number of terrible ones. Not like that’s a bad thing.

Sometimes, when I just want to watch something brainless and stupid, I pick from my cdrama watchlist. I also think that, on an average, I find historical cdramas way more entertaining than other countries, because there are so many genres to choose from. Half them are fantasy, high fantasy or just plain fiction. They hardly ever worry about historical accuracy, so literally anythig can happen in any time period. The historical aspect is just so they don’t have modern communication/travel/resources and can wear the pretty swooshy clothes I love seeing. I’m the type who doesn’t care about history or logic as long as it doesn’t spoil a good story, so cdramas give me all I need. If I want to watch some fantasy and magic - it’s a whole genre. Sometimes i like watching absolutely outrageous trash(as long as it’s funny and romantic). Cdramas are amazing at providing that. Sometimes I want to watch something light with no substance and just fluff, no angst. When I get tired, I can drop it whenever, because there’s absolutely no hook to the plot.

Kdramas don’t cater to my moods like that. I usually expect kdramas to be of good quality, so there’s hardly any brainless stuff to watch. I’m probably more lenient with my ratings when it comes to cdramas.

4 Likes