Which languages do you know and which do you want to learn?

Thank you! :smile:

I know Spanish (native)
English (fluent)

I can read and understand Portuguese but I canā€™t speak it :ā€™(
I can read Korean but I need a long way to go until I fully understand it.

Thatā€™s a huge accomplishment in and of itself. Congratulations!

1 Like

1 Like

i know frensh,english and arabic native

1 Like

I want to ask something :slight_smile: Why do you want to learn foreign languages ? Why do you actually think it is important to learn them ? :slight_smile: itā€™s a little ā€œschool researchā€ i have to write a comment about and i was curious what you guys think.

For me learning languages was always a way to be able to talk with new people. Since i am a very talkative person who loves having conversations for hours i love the fact thag languages can help me with that :slight_smile: That way i get to know different cultures as well

i live in montrƩal but im originally from morocco. i speak 2 languages fluently ( arab and french ) and im starting to practice my english .

where your from ?

dramaaaaa: I learn because it feels interesting to me =) Some people say that they can ā€œsee the wheels turningā€, or they have a ā€œeurekaā€ moment when something suddenly occurs to them during a lesson. This happens to me every time I do a language lesson; itā€™s like something in me changes. My second reason is so that I can read about history of places in the actual language it was recorded with. :slight_smile:

I know English (native), and a little bit of a few languages: :blush:

-French (listening and reading are okay, writing is sub-par - Canadians learn it in school so itā€™s left over from that)
-German (basics - I studied it in school for two years about 7 years ago)
-Korean (Hangul/nearing intermediate with reading/listening, writing is beginner)
-Japanese (just the basic introductions/greetings now - I used to be able to read/say/listen to all grade 1 Kanji/vocab and basic grammar)
-Mandarin (basics - listening is best, reading is getting there but cannot write or speak)
-Ancient Greek (reading mainly; I can still sound out most of the letters and know some vocabulary/grammar patterns)

Alright I replied to this thread when it first came out, but Iā€™ve changed and upgraded since then!
I am an advanced beginner (or low intermediate) in Korean. I can read, write, type and listen, but my speaking is shaky.

Iā€™m a beginner in Japanese. . I can do my intro and understand keywords.

After I reach a greater degree of proficiency in those two language Iā€™m going to learn Swedish.

How long did it take you to get that level? Iā€™m really getting lazy again at learning Korean :frowning:
Do you also plan to do a TOPIK test or not?

I really got motivate over the last 6 months, before that I was being really lazy. I could still do a lot better with my studiesā€¦ I was supposed to take the TOPIK in October, but Iā€™ve decided to wait until spring of 2015.

TOPIK test is a great motivator, do you plan to take it?

1 Like

Yes, I plan to take the TOPIK test too when Iā€™m confident enough. To bad my country doesnā€™t offer it so I have to do it online. I did check some old test and I think itā€™s best to take one in 2016 or maybe late 2015. Not that I plan to do anything with the Korean language professionally but I would like to have some certificate so I can mention it on my resume.

1 Like

You may already know this. . . but there are some really interesting videos about the TOPIK test on Youtube. The one Iā€™ve been watching the gal takes you through each questions step by step. itā€™s nice to get a feel for what the test will be like.

Hi everyone,
I know:
Bulgarian(native)
English
French
I am learning:
Korean
Japanese

This is inspired by a topic created by @Dudie

Which languages do you already know and want to learn?

I know:
English (Iā€™m a native speaker)
Thai

I want to learn:
Thai (I want to become more fluent in speaking and writing)
Spanish

How about you? What are you doing to get started with learning a new language?

I know:
German (native)
English (fluent)
Italian
French
Latin

I want to learn:
Korean (currently trying to teach myself)
Japanese
Swedish

2 Likes

I know:

• German (native)
  • English (fluent)
  • French (pretty much fluent)
  • Latin

I want to learn:

• Korean
  • Chinese (?)

At first I actually only wanted to learn a language with a different writing system and I had a look at Russian and Arabic too but the Asian languages and cultures were just a lot more fascinating for me.

2 Likes

I know - English (fluent) Spanish (native)
I want to learn - Chinese , IĀ“m trying to learn chinese but itĀ“s so hard , the tones drive me crazy,
- japanese- this language is easier for me because spanish and japanese have the same phonetic

some advice to learn chinese?

1 Like