Which languages do you know and which do you want to learn?

Has there been success in learning a new language on Viki? If so, can you be specific about how?

Also, ideas on other languages to feature similar to in this blog? What could be improved?

Thanks so much! Would appreciate all feedback :slight_smile:

About 4 months ago, my girlfriend is Taiwanese-Korean and even though she understand English without issues, I want to learn the language, as I’m about to move together to live with her in Seoul.

3 Likes

My sister is fluent in French and she can understand more or less my Italian friends when they speak (given they speak slowly). All languages with latin origins are similar. Besides, you would be surprised how many italian words we use in everyday greek language and how many greek words there are in italian :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I like the Article… Since Chinese has tones pronunciation would be nice, so maybe including screen clips.

One of the other things that has helped is watching dramas subtitled in the native language. It’s been helpful to see what I don’t hear.

1 Like

So true. I find that’s the case even in English. I have a hard-of-hearing friend who I started to watch movies with using captions. I realized I missed so much before, now I avoid English movies if I can’t watch the subtitles, even though it’s my native language.

Wow. I never even knew that would be the case. So cool!!!

Just a question, why did you want to learn Swedish? ^^

Hi everyone! I’ve moved the conversation over to the new Language Learning category in Discussions. Please continue and join in :slight_smile:

Such a long and sweet story. In brief I participated in Erasmus (a european exchange student program) and I went in Sweden for 6 months. I thought it would be cool if I could speak the language a little bit and why not stay there for a couple years (not more because I’m not used to -15 degrees and 4 hours of light during winter at Stockholm).
By the way, if anybody speaks German is easier to learn Swedish (especially the pronounciation). Danish people could understand a little bit of Swedish. Norwegian are similar to Swedish (or so I’m told). Finnish people are still taught swedish at school in some places but their language (suomi) has nothing to do to swedish.

i know:
-Arabic
-English
-Deutsch (German)
i wanna learn:
-Japanese
-Spanish

I know Swedish (native) and english!
I want to learn as many languages as possibly :blush:
But right now i focus on french and korean :blush:

1 Like

Okay, I’m swedish so it’s interesting reading that someone wants to learn Swedish because the language is so small so I was thinking like why did you want to learn it but now I get it. ^^ It’s true what you say about Danish and Norweigan. I understand some Danish and I understand Norweigan because the languages are similar.

At Stockholm I was living in the dormitories and there were exchanged students from all over the world, besides I took swedish classes for exchanged students (obligatory). I saw first hand how easier it was for Danish, German to speak Swedish and how hard for all the meditteranean. By the way I’m Greek.

two excellent choices! :slight_smile:

Hi everyone :slight_smile: I’ve moved this conversation over to the new Language Learning category so we can keep all related topics together. Please continue adding your comments there! Thank you

No. I had to pass minimum level 2 on DCL Exam to graduate in college. I got level 4 knowing that level 1 is the lowest & level 7 is the highest.

1 Like

i know arabic and english
i want to learn korean and taiwanese

Taiwan, Hong Kong and China all speak the same language, just having their own dialects for it.

Well I know Romanian (native), English, French, Spanish and I’m learning Italian, Russian, Turkish, Japanese and Korean

1 Like

actually, it’s not quite as simple as that. people from hong kong and taiwan do learn mandarin, but these countries have their own languages as well; however, the mandarin has been adopted because it’s the most widely used language from mainland china

I am looking for people to translate from Spanish to English subtitles for My Sweet Fat Valentina. Would you like to join our team and translate from Spanish to English? Check us out:
http://www.viki.com/tv/2087c-my-sweet-fat-valentina-mi-gorda-bella?q=my%20sweet