Who is the only K-drama or K-pop fan in their family?

Hey guys!!
this is preetyCHAN and i am the only a die hard fan of k-drama and k-pop ( a few c-drama and anime also ) in my family which is really troublesome cause i being irritated by my sister as she intentionally tries to make fun of songs and actors too which really makes me annoyed and on top of that she kind of announces that i am a fan everywhere we go ( specially relatives ) , which is worse :sob::sob::unamused::unamused:

7 Likes

yeah, i have the same condition here. while i am watching dramas my parents ask whether i am watching the same one because they cant differentiate the actors :unamused: and when i laugh seeing run bts ep they ask whats there to laugh.

6 Likes

at least itā€™s your sisterā€¦my parents are the ones who keep telling all my relatives Iā€™m
interested in Korea and Iā€™m gonna marry a Korean and whatnot :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

Omg guys me too! My mom always makes jokes about Asian movies. She always says that there are only one type of Chinese - Jackie Chan and others looks ridiculus and donā€™t be a real Chinese cuz they for example are higher or have moustaches (looool). When I watch Kdrama, she always says that there are only one actress (everyone looks the same for her) :disappointed::disappointed::disappointed:Guys we must be strong!

5 Likes

Thatā€™s why we have Viki here! :grin:

4 Likes

same goes for me.No one in ,y family is kdrama or kpop fan.

3 Likes

The way I see it, thereā€™s absolutely no reason to feel embarrassed or ashamed about it. Just embrace the fact that you like Kdrama and Kpop and anime. Tell it to the whole world. Once they see youā€™re fine with it, theyā€™ll leave you alone. Trust me on this one.

4 Likes

Exactly, and maybe years down the road, some of them will start watching anime and Kdramas (happened to me, had to wait more than 8 years :laughing:)

4 Likes

I can relateā€¦ Iā€™m the only one at home who listens to kpop and watches dramas. I used to hide it but now Iā€™m proud because thatā€™s make me more interested in another culture and I learn new things everyday.

When I listen to something in korean my parents start making weird sounds pretending to imitate them, which I find funny if they donā€™t do take it too far and when a random Asian appears on TV they scream ā€œhey! come! your friendā€™s hereā€ or "what is he/she saying? "(and I am likeā€¦ I wish to know that too). Sometimes it bothers me, especially when I have to hear things like ā€œthey all look the same anywayā€, ā€œthis isnā€™t musicā€ or ā€œare you sure this is a guy?ā€. But in the end I donā€™t really care.

4 Likes

same here at first i also tried to hide it but now its all good i donā€™t care what others say except my sister cause she mocks me almost 2times a day :unamused::unamused:

2 Likes

Next time they say that, ask them for airfare and a living allowance so you can find your future spouse. :laughing: Except you have to do it with a pleading expression. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

When the Beatles first came out, i could not tell them apart either. :laughing:

3 Likes

Me, like with other things

2 Likes

This might workā€¦if I had the faCE :rofl::rofl:
nope, no hope for me.

3 Likes

I used to be the only kpop/kdrama fan in my entire family except my cousin. Now nearly everyone being a fan in secret. My little brother making fun of me to this day (i think he is a sana biased once but still). My mom become a better uaena than me & a kdrama fan. My dad is the same (he always respects talent tho). My aunts&uncles are enjoying kpop (being litteral fans) now.
SO donā€™t give up guys. Donā€™t be ashamed because you are a fan. I donā€™t think itā€™s a crime or something. I donā€™t think they can judge sb for their likes or dislikes. And your sisterā€™s behaviour is so childish, i hope sheā€™ll acknowledge having fun of sb just because sb loves something or someone is wrong.
Lastly, i really hate the ā€œthey are all asians/same/chinese/japaneseā€ thing. As an asian i hear these things since the day i born ig. That can be because of my slanted eyes, however that doesnā€™t give you right to say any of these things. I mean itā€™s not really a big deal for me since i used to, but when Covid-19 first spread, I was upset that people were trying to stay away from me just because of my eyes or joking about it. lol i wrote a lot. Anyways being an only fan for years made me do that hahaha. GO TELL THE WORLD THAT YOU LOVE KPOP. Have a nice day <3

5 Likes

So far IĀ“am the only one in my environment that watches K-dramas (as well as some other Asian dramas). Sometimes it is difficult to share your Asian drama love with your friends or family because they canĀ“t understand it but that is fine with me (I still love watching them) :grin:

2 Likes

eee I really hate that kind of thinking! Such ignorance!

It didnā€™t help that we had an a$$h0L3 in chief spreading Covid fears about China. Then the fringe-stupid Americans go and attack any Asian person they see because of what their ā€˜fearless leaderā€™ said.

Makes you just want to drop kick those guys!

4 Likes

just me, my family thinks I am crazy watching these dramas!!

4 Likes

and another one who is the only genealogist in your family?? yeah craziness here.

2 Likes

Well, I am the default genealogist and probably the last one on my branch anywayā€¦ It was oral history that we passed down and no one is around to sit and listen any longer.

My momā€™s first cousin on her dadā€™s side got interested in genealogy the last couple of years. His mom really knew that side but she passed a few years ago.

Oh, And I think I am the only one who watches Kdramas, but if I still lived with/near my sisters, Iā€™d have them all watching too.

1 Like