Why can't segmenters secure their QC status?

Even if you had reached it, it would have been undone if some of your segments got deleted shortly after.

1 Like

Think of it that way. The years you spend in university don’t count towards your retirement. Time starts to count only when you finish your training and actually start working.

Your logic makes sense, up to the point where QCtrainee is supposed to include the academy’s QC contributions per the inital policies.

Weren’t you told in the Sandbox that you’d have to get 1000 subs or segs separate from the ones you got / will get during the NSSA because they will get deleted?

I remember telling my students this when they graduated from the Sandbox. I think something similar was also stated in the graduation message
 :thinking:

2 Likes

These days with nearly all the shows being adjust-only and sometimes small amounts of A&C, it’s very difficult to get 1,000 segments.

4 Likes

If segmenting is all you do on Viki, they’ll just give you QC status so that you can work on projects after graduation (and, in some cases, access the training videos).

Oh, I see you already got that.

1 Like

That’s true.
Most people survive by segging and subbing in another language if they know one in that instance, even though this situation shouldn’t be the norm :smiling_face_with_tear:.

3 Likes

You know that one of the reasons I’m not only a segger is that you wrote in your message something like “if you know more then one language then consider subtitling as you might lose your free Viki”. I’m happy that NSSA is getting more students but I agree that we shouldn’t lose points when we have gotten them (and that we should get points on adjust only shows, I have worked on a few but didn’t get anything for it).

4 Likes

Yes. I think there were a few posts about this and it’s sad to see that Viki hasn’t yet implemented anything for the segmenting community.

This definitely discourages new students and might lead to more people thinking that only the “top / older segmenters” are able to get shows with raw segments (even though their segment count mainly reflects the past and not the present).

3 Likes

My “QC status” doesnt actually include access to Viki. I had to add a couple paid months to be able to work on videos. Academy took 12 months, and after my original paid annual subscription ran out, I was given 2 months of “real QC” which disappeared a couple weeks after I finally hit trainee. Supposedly my “real QC” will come back at 3000, but every morning i wake up with a few less than i went to bed with. Needless to say its making me question if its worth it.

2 Likes