Winter Has Come 🌨️❄️☃️

Hello :wave:, how is everyone? I hope you’re all keeping warm and safe.
Mmm… I thought I would share my weather conditions:

2 Likes

Hello! :wave: here in Italy is very cold and now it’s raining a lot, I wish I could keep myself warmer :pensive: anyway the pictures you posted are so beautiful!! Thank you for sharing them with us :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

It’s still above zero but very windy here in The Netherlands and it seems it snowed more up north. And I was freezing on my bike with my new pastel pink coat, beanie on, huge scarf and gloves. :tired_face:

I don’t want snow when I need to work as I cycle everywhere on my bike but when there is snow and it’s slippery I don’t dare to do so and I don’t want to depend on the public transport or walk for I don’t know how long.

3 Likes

You’re welcome. I’m glad you enjoyed them. Yeah, I’ve heard about the heavy rains. Take good care of yourself!

1 Like

I feel you, believe me, but it’s very dangerous to bike when there could be icy patches. Ignoring my grievances with the EU, public transportation across the continent is pretty reliable. Why risk an injury or catching a cold? Please stay warm and safe, so we can continue to talk about Asian dramas. :wind_face::snowflake::cold_face::gloves::coat::snowman:

Don’t worry I will take a bus but I’m on a pretty tight schedule working wise so it will be a hassle but my own safety always comes first. That’s why I hope it doesn’t snow or become slippery so I cannot cycle safely.

2 Likes

Had to cycle with coat + scarf + gloves and hat too. This is the earliest I’ve ever worn my gloves T.T
I like the snow (and it’s okay for me to cycle in as long as there is no ice), but the icy wind is no joke.
Also, I really hope it doesn’t become icy. Me and my husband always encounter older ladies who slip on the ice and whom we help back on their feet. Everyone, stay warm :smile:

Is it snowing for the rest of the week in Amstersdam?? It’s minus degrees?
Do we need to wear boots for snow?

1 Like

The weather is quite stable for now. Around 5 degrees?
Don’t think you have to be worried for now :wink:

3 Likes

5 degrees? i will we die if we get that cold so early in winter !!!We rarely get those digits in USA (today is in the 50’s tomorrow 27 degrees)

When we do we get single digits we feel like is the END of the world hahaha. We buy water, food supply, flashlights, the works…

I can’t stand the winter, and we had a snowstorm last week, too. But thankfully the next day it rained and it was all gone. Hooray! I use to love the snow but now I hated it with a passion. lol

1 Like

Celsius or Fahrenheit (no not that Taiwanese band…LOL)?
5℃ is 41 ℉

It will go -2℃ on friday night :frowning:

3 Likes

@dudie

Oh, I see. What a relief bc so early on 5 degrees only lol So it will be about the same tomorrow for us 28 degrees Fahrenheit. I have to get used to that although she didn’t write celsius so I assumed it was fahrenheit.

Thanks for the clarification. You learn so much here in discussion. Customs from many countries, the different holidays (traditions) they celebrate. I was so ignorant I didn’t know other countries follow the tradition of christmas like in USA (slight different but gift giving, decorating about the same).
In my Island (Puerto Rico) although we are a commonwealth of the US we give gifts during the ‘‘Three Wise Men’’ day (Dia de los Reyes) not December 25th. Is on January 6, and we take a shoe box and fill it with green grass and put it under our bed, the camels ‘‘eat’’ the grass (our parents throw it out of course) lol and the Three Wise Men’’ leave our gifts (we need to look around the house to find were it was hidden (bikes in our balcony of course). If the gift is really small it goes under the bed where the box was at
. Really cute but you can say we believe the 3 wise men brings us the christmas gift ,and we never believe is Santa Claus like here in USA.

1 Like

Ah no, I know @piranna lives in Europe and everyone uses Celcius here, so I didn’t bother putting °F. I keep forgetting that America has a different system…

I didn’t pay attention to the forcast for the night :scream:
Let’s hope we don’t wake up with snow haha. I have to travel this weekend :open_mouth:

@piranna the most annoying problem you can encounter is if the trains get delayed (or cancelled). Hope that doesn’t happen :dizzy_face:

3 Likes

Oh, that’s really interesting. Where I live, on December 6th, we celebrate Saint Nicholas of Myra, the true Santa Claus in my opinion, who actually lived and performed great miracles, always helping those in distress.

1 Like

@adrianmorales

It sounds more like a Saint to me. By the way, the 3 wise men are the ones who brought gold, myrrh, and frankincense to JESUS CHRIST our Lord and Savior when he was born in a manger. They followed David’s Star (jewish Star) to find him.

1 Like

Over here that is called “driekoningen” (3 kings) but it’s celebrated differently, if it’s even celebrated these days. On that day children go from door to door dressed as a king and with a lantern. When the door opens you sing a song (there are a few for driekoningen most known is this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahT4Kn3Xt6k It’s about asking for a new hat because the old one is worn out and mother isn’t supposed to know. ) When you are done you mostly get candy but some gave you an apple, walnuts etc. So kind of like trick or treat. But these days hardly anyone does it anymore but I think that’s because times has changed. I liked it as a kid of course :smiley:

Sinterklaas! That’s how he’s called here or it’s simular I guess. He brings presents for children on the night of 5 December. He came from Spain last saturday :slight_smile: To bad there is such a huge fuss about that tradition here in The Netherlands while it should be such a magical time for children.

2 Likes

Yes, you mentioned that you exchange gifts during the “Three Wise Men” day. We do that on the day of Saint Nicholas.

1 Like

Wow is a small world after all. Different ways of celebrating the 3 wise man day. Thanks for sharing going to check the link right now. I’m fascinated with Netherlands bc I have seen so many movies filmed in the Netherland’s forest they are so enchantingly beautiful.

1 Like

@dudie

Can you please tell me what the song says? There are no translations in the video (I hit cc button)
Thank you!

I already kind of gave a translation of the song but let’s give it as they sing it although they do seem to forget a part. The part they sing I will make bold.
Three kings, three kings give me a new hat.
My old one is worn out and my mother shouldn’t know.
My father already counted the money on the counter.

1 Like